Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times

Advertisements

So I got a decent offer. Deciding if I should take it. As I have posted before, it seems car dealers in CT pay less...far less than dealers in NY for some reason. If I take , I will be cutting my horrible commute by half. 30 miles each way instead of 60 and a 45 minute ride instead of 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way. That's obviously a good thing.
I went to get my pay plan this morning and it starts $12,000 less than what I made last year. But since we as parts people get paid commission too, you will make more as more business comes in. So getting to where I am at now is not out of the question. I worked hard to get to the level of pay I am at but if I want to work closer to home, it seems the only way is to take a pay cut. I interviewed at a Honda dealer in April and they were $24,000 less.....that was not going to happen.
Let me give you some examples of how it is now:
Current job:
Long commute...up at 4:45.....out of the house by 6:00.....home by 8:00......bed by 9:00.....repeat....
Work in a mis-managed dept.
3 of the guys I work with are thieves.......current manager doesnt do anything about it because he is not the type to confront.
Same 3 guys have chronic late/absent issues. One of them has been late every morning for 3 years. I keep an Excel file every morning. Again......no one does anything.
2 of these guys make fun of customers within earshot.....racist ones too.
Same guys are glued to their cell phones.....playing games,texting or carrying on conversations....sometimes for an hour(by the Asst Manager!!!)
In winter storms, it can take as much as 5 hours to get home....and its a white knuckle ride.
One of them has a side business of replacing IPHONE screens during work hours.
I have voiced my opinions to my dept manager to only fall on deaf ears as he is non confrontational......and this is a luxury car dealer!!!!
My dept has no air conditioning and barley any heat. Its a dump while the rest of the building was renovated!
Not employee friendly.
Place wants to open on Sunday 11-5 (I will never do this) and late everyday until 8:00 pm.
$245.00 per week for a family medical plan.....no eyes or dental.......that would put it over $300.00
My 2013 Elantra now has 66,000 miles on it.......it turned 2 last week.
I hit a deer on the Merritt a few days after Hurricane Sandy and it caused $8000 worth of damage. Insured of course but I use this because deer are all over the place and is a common obstacle.
$4000 in gas over the last 12 months.
$1800 in car maintenance(tires,oil changes,other services)

Quality of life has a dent in it because of the long commute.

Aside from getting well and being complacent, it is against my work ethic to be around people like this.

New place:
Brand new state of the art building.....ac and heat too.....
Employee friendly
Very,very nice employees
30 miles from home
High end car line.
$160.00 per week for medical instead of $245.00
Lake and swimming pool for employees on property......weird but cool.
Owner is hands on and values good employees. I met my current owner 4 times in 10 years.
No Sundays....ever......and close at 5:30....no late nights.....ever....

To show you what kind of people they are, when I got called in for a second interview, they asked me to come in on a sunday(2 weeks ago) as they were having a big employee appreciation BBQ.I felt odd because I have never interviewed like that. The guy interviewing me said it would be fun and a good way to meet the workers and the owner. So I went. It was a huge bash and I met the owner who was an awesome person.....very grounded and nice. He said I was hired in his mind and it was up to me once they worked out a pay plan. Which brings us to this morning. So it is $12,000 less....for now.

Anyone ever do something similar to work closer to home?
I don't love change but do well once acclimated. So........is this pay cut worth it in anyones opinion? I value a bunch of posters opinions on here which is why I shared.

No names of car dealers on here please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM

43 posts, read 64,693 times
Is there a 3rd option? I live in CT and am looking to get out. I would NEVER recommend anyone move to NY or CT. Do you like the south?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Is the pay cut $12,000 net or gross? In other words, are you factoring in your commuting expenses, medical insurance, etc. into this number? Also, it looks like your hours may be less at the new place?

In either case, I would do it. Its worth it to me to work with decent people, as is a shorter commute. Life is too short.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The question is how much is your time worth? Cutting your very long commute in half and saving mileage on your car is worth a lot IMHO. Is it worth $1,000 per month? Only you can answer that. IMHO, your current job sounds like a nightmare and as long as you can swing the income reduction which is partly made up in commuting costs, I would jump at it.

Keep in mind that on average it costs you something like $0.55 per mile to commute. Take the difference in mileage for the year and see how much you will save. Then take your commute time and multiply it by your current hourly rate at work. Given all the pluses you mention I think you will see it makes sense to jump at this job NOW. Jay

Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM

686 posts, read 1,768,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
New place:
Employee friendly
Very,very nice employees
Owner is hands on and values good employees. ...
No Sundays....ever......and close at 5:30....no late nights.....ever....
To an outsider, your list clearly makes the new place looks much better than your current place. Should you take the new offer? Obviously, there is more to a job than money, but, if you take the new offer, it probably shows more of your disapproval for your current job than your nod for the new one.

BTW, I quoted some of the items you list about the new place. Now, I am no pessimist, but it might be too early to take those items as granted/constants.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscasct View Post
Is there a 3rd option? I live in CT and am looking to get out. I would NEVER recommend anyone move to NY or CT. Do you like the south?
This is your opinion. The OP loves Connecticut and has no intention of moving. Despite what you think, Connecticut is a great place to live and work. There is nothing that the south has to offer that appeals to me or many people. It is hot and while it may be cheap, you getting what you pay for there and that is not much. Jay

Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM

43 posts, read 64,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is your opinion. The OP loves Connecticut and has no intention of moving. Despite what you think, Connecticut is a great place to live and work. There is nothing that the south has to offer that appeals to me or many people. It is hot and while it may be cheap, you getting what you pay for there and that is not much. Jay
I missed where he said he loves Connecticut. I realize we all have different likes/dislikes but since he was considering a move I was stating my opinion as you said. The way I worded the post was a little immature on my part. I was being serious though in asking if a move down south was an option. You and I could debate the pros/cons of the South vs the Northern states all day I am sure....

Old 07-29-2014, 03:15 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Sezzam stated this and I double his words. Just by your listing, it seems like you want out deep down. I'm all about earning extra by going 2x the route, but, I feel like this is causing a hole in your well being. I'd rather be stress free and earn roughly the same (You said with commission, it's possible, correct?)

Yeah, I'd work in Connecticut if I was you. Honestly, work place has a huge impact on me and if it's in a state of the art building, I would have jumped already. Good luck with whatever you choose. I think a change might be needed. It's a good time! =)

Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Is the pay cut $12,000 net or gross? In other words, are you factoring in your commuting expenses, medical insurance, etc. into this number? Also, it looks like your hours may be less at the new place?

In either case, I would do it. Its worth it to me to work with decent people, as is a shorter commute. Life is too short.
Net. I was not factoring in commuting expenses or medical. Hours are 7:30-5:30 M-FR, Saturday 9-1 (presently I am 7:30-6:00 and Saturday 8-6) I dont work Saturdays at my present job too much, usually 2-3 per year because the other guys I work want to do it. Im fine with that.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Again, is your pay cut net or gross ? You'd be saving $4250 just on health insurance, probably need to fill your car just once a week, plus a lot less wear and tear on both you & your vehicle. The time saved commuting is priceless.

If it was me, I'd take the new job. Your current and past posts indicate how miserably unhappy you are at your job. Life is too short and the body mentally and physically can only take so much. How many more decades can you do that commute ?

Does your wife work ? Are you raising a family, with children, on just one income ? If it's you alone or just you and wife, would not really a $ 12,000 pay cut, but more like maybe 5,000 make that much of a difference ?

If there is a wife or SO, what does she say? I'd really take the new job. But I'm not you. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut