Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,262 times

Advertisements

Foley to McKinney: Get out - Connecticut Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
The more Foley shoots off his mouth, the greater the incentive I feel to vote for the opponent in his own party. McKinney isn't perfect, but I trust him one hell of a lot more than Foley, and that's who I hope to vote for this November.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM

85 posts, read 132,489 times
When I became aware of his candidacy my first reaction was 'Oh God, another lawyer?'.
McKinney does have many traits of the endangered New England Republican. I actually think the guy is sincere.
Wish him luck in the Primary.
Please, no more "Dumbledorks".

Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
The more Foley shoots off his mouth, the greater the incentive I feel to vote for the opponent in his own party. McKinney isn't perfect, but I trust him one hell of a lot more than Foley
I agree with this. Due to CT's closed primaries, I can't vote next month (I am a registered Independent) but I would absolutely vote for McKinney if given the chance. Foley won't commit to any issue from what I can see. At least McKinney will actually (GASP!) form opinions and speak them. This CT Mirror article does a decent job articulating my beef with Foley:
Foley has lots of confidence, few details, on plans to fix CT budget | The CT Mirror

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with this. Due to CT's closed primaries, I can't vote next month (I am a registered Independent) but I would absolutely vote for McKinney if given the chance. Foley won't commit to any issue from what I can see. At least McKinney will actually (GASP!) form opinions and speak them. This CT Mirror article does a decent job articulating my beef with Foley:
Foley has lots of confidence, few details, on plans to fix CT budget | The CT Mirror
I'm an Independent as well, so I'm switching to Republican so I can vote in the primary next month (then switching back.) That is such bullcrap that people like us can't participate in the primaries unless we're in a registered party.

Anyway, I think McKinney can get alot done if he's elected, and I trust him way more than I do Foley. We've already had a leader on one extreme end of the polititcal side, we don't need a new one on the other end of the extreme. McKinney is a moderate.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post

Anyway, I think McKinney can get alot done if he's elected, and I trust him way more than I do Foley. We've already had a leader on one extreme end of the polititcal side, we don't need a new one on the other end of the extreme. McKinney is a moderate.
I don't totally agree with McKinney on everything, but he's still far and away the best CT gubernatorial candidate that i've seen in over a decade. While i don't necessarily agree with his vote on gun control legislation, i respect his vote. It was ballsy. IMHO.

He's also well respected on both sides of the political aisle in CT.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
I like McKinney as well. In fact, everyone I talk to likes McKinney... I can't figure out where Foley's support is coming from.

If McKinney, by some miracle, is on the ballot in November, he'll get my vote. Foley won't.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I like McKinney as well. In fact, everyone I talk to likes McKinney... I can't figure out where Foley's support is coming from.
Jerry Labriola, CT Republican Party Chairman.

He only courts people with big $$$$$$$. And he's a lawyer too.

And CT wonders why we can't get Republicans elected..

Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't totally agree with McKinney on everything, but he's still far and away the best CT gubernatorial candidate that i've seen in over a decade. While i don't necessarily agree with his vote on gun control legislation, i respect his vote. It was ballsy. IMHO.

He's also well respected on both sides of the political aisle in CT.
Agree fully. And I think because he IS respected on both sides of the aisle, this can help him. And when people tell me he'll never be elected, I try to remind people of who Malloy was before he entered the spotlight. Early on, his chances were terrible when the race started. Outside of the Stamford area, he wasn't that well-known, his campaign didn't have alot of money, and yet he emerged victorious. Here's hoping McKinney can do the same. We'll see, I guess.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:42 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,807 times
Quote:
"I think the right thing for John to do is to drop out of the race and endorse me, and I hope he does it," Foley was quoted. "John is a good guy, he has a political future, but I think to run in this primary and to lose, which I think is what will happen, doesn't make sense for him. And to be taking on a Republican candidate who came as close as I did in 2010, is likely to win the primary and also has a very good shot of winning in November, I think is a mistake."
It's funny that thinking you were "close" 4 years ago means you should run again.

That and while I hated Malloy in the beginning, I supported a lot his most recent (this year) decisions and standing up to some of the hardass Republican governors like Jindal.

Dunno much about Mckinney, but Foley's pretty much guaranteed to lose to Malloy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut