Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 08:58 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,915 times

Advertisements

Hi CT data lovers -I've got a question for you. Wondering if there's any data out there about how many households per town are internet connected? Specifically looking for data on my town, Seymour. I didn't see this on the City-Data town profile page, nor CERC, nor did I see it on Census data (but I'm not sure how to drill down in the data). I've also googled it and am coming up with weird things like # homes without a kitchen or bathroom, eww but anyway- is there data on this already done? Is there a technology sector survey to find it? Any help pointing me in the right direction to locate this data would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:41 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,769,033 times
You might be able to find it in the US Census data stats. If you want to slog through all the tables and charts , you should be able to find a breakdown somewhere.

Computer and Internet Use Main - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,915 times
Yes, the best I could find said as of 2012 over 79% of all American households have some Internet access, and 82% of school aged children (3-17) live in homes with the Internet. But no specific state or municipal data.

Reason I was searching is that I'd heard repeatedly while in my daughter's school that faculty and staff were under the dubious impression our school's demographic in this regard was vastly lower. Actually they had a fluff number and said way less than half, which is the reason they cited for not utilizing our districts education information system to its full potential at the elementary level. Kinda off too because full use of the system is mandatory for all grades above 6.

Good news is the attached .pdf says the Census bureau starting now fall 2014 will be tracking this better. Hopefully by municipalities. I was just surprised I couldn't find better CT data.

Table 1 Xls. file most recent update 2012 (data reported in thousands) http://www.census.gov/hhes/computer/...012/table1.xls
Row 11 ages 3-17
Cell 11D shows 82% of all children in this age bracket live in households with internet access.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/computer/...phic_FINAL.pdf

Any better information available please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut