Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 AM

20 posts, read 28,951 times

Advertisements

Thanks All. Mel, by a school outside the district, they meant he will go to another school in New Haven that is not a magnet school and not within the neighborhood. So he will be on the bus every morning. Even if you stayed in East Rock or near one of the better schools in New Haven, I was told your child will not be guaranteed a seat in that school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 06:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa1234 View Post
Thanks All. Mel, by a school outside the district, they meant he will go to another school in New Haven that is not a magnet school and not within the neighborhood. So he will be on the bus every morning. Even if you stayed in East Rock or near one of the better schools in New Haven, I was told your child will not be guaranteed a seat in that school.
This is true. New Haven, like many Connecticut cities, bus students around the city to achieve racial and academic equality. This is one of the reasons people who want good schools and live in a city either go with a magnet or private school. Jay

Old 11-14-2014, 06:26 PM

158 posts, read 198,917 times
I agree that Fairfield St ( I lived there behind the CVS a while while ago ) is part of a good area.
It is really the Westville Section of New Haven. It is safe and convenient. You are foot steps from both the B-Whalley and Q-Fountain St bus lines. The B-Whalley bus gets you downtown in 20 minutes. You can also walk to the Westville branch Library and Edgewood Park. You are also steps from Bills Carousel ice cream a treat to eat outside. The B bus the other direction takes you to Amity Shopping Center (Stop and Shop in the Amity area of New Haven).

I don't have anything to add on the application process into New Haven Schools, however it is not fair to discourage families from strongly considering them. They are still much better then all the PR that says run the other way. I am a product of Edgewood School and proudly graduated Wilbur Cross High School. We are used to hearing stay away from the high schools (not fair) but entering the system for K-8 they are good schools (still in 2014). In Westville, Edgewood School and Davis Street school are excellent and everyone knows that. Good luck where ever you settle, but please give Westville and New Haven a good fair look. (Also, I think you will get the best Public School customer service if you go in person to their main office by the Union Station train station).

Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Since the OP has a child just entering school- This is a listing of the CMT scores for CT schools 2013-
( Connecticut Mastery Tests - grade 3). Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/160050389/CMT-2013a

Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 AM

Thanks all for your suggestions. Someone also suggested Cheshire. I did some research and found that the rents are pretty decent. I found a 2 bedroom slightly under $1000 in rent/month. What are the pros and cons of living in Cheshire? Honestly, my biggest concern is finding good schools for my 7 and 4 year old sons. I cannot afford private schools as of yet. I am only going to be a fellow at Yale and the salary is in the lower 40s ($42,000/year).

For Fairfield Street in New Haven, the rent is also a little under $1000 bucks/month. But the uncertainty around which schools my boys will attend is very troubling.

Please share your comments and any advise that you may have. Thanks a lot.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 56,945,109 times
A rental in Cheshire for less than $1,000 per month??? Seems very low. Cheshire is a very desirable town so I would be very careful on a lie priced rental there. I would consider Wallingford before Cheshire since it is closer to your job, has a wide range of housing options and good schools. Plus it has some of the lowest electricity rates in the state. I have friends there and they love it. Jay

Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 PM

158 posts, read 198,917 times
I know I am doing more "only move to New Haven promoting," but today's article in the YDN reminded me of the new scholarship program for all NH residents who graduate from NH public schools. It should be a big factor in families deciding whether to reside in NH or out of NH. It is guaranteed payment of the child's college tuition. I pulled the description from the YDN:

"...New Haven Promise gives every New Haven public school student a full tuition scholarship to any in-state public college or a stipend of $2,000 to any Connecticut private college as long as they meet certain criteria: the student must be a resident of New Haven and earn a minimum grade point average of 3.0 throughout high school and 2.5 in college. In addition, the student must have a 90 percent or higher attendance rate, complete 40 hours of community service before high school graduation, and not be expelled. According to Melton, approximately 200 students used the scholarship last year."

“New Haven Promise is really productive about going into New Haven Public Schools and distributing material about the requirements,” said Lily Engbith ’17, one of the 17 New Haven Promise Scholars currently attending Yale.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Thanks all for your suggestions. Someone also suggested Cheshire. I did some research and found that the rents are pretty decent. I found a 2 bedroom slightly under $1000 in rent/month. What are the pros and cons of living in Cheshire? Honestly, my biggest concern is finding good schools for my 7 and 4 year old sons. I cannot afford private schools as of yet. I am only going to be a fellow at Yale and the salary is in the lower 40s ($42,000/year).

For Fairfield Street in New Haven, the rent is also a little under $1000 bucks/month. But the uncertainty around which schools my boys will attend is very troubling.

Please share your comments and any advise that you may have. Thanks a lot.
Cheshire? That's really random. Cheshire is not super convenient to New Haven unless you live on the edge by 15/91. I used to drive up there from New Haven up Route 10 and it was maddening, to say the least. So slow. I don't know why you would want to live in Cheshire with a New Haven job when there are so many good suburbs closer to New Haven.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Stylo, thanks for your sincere comments. I am glad you I saw your post because I was almost settling down for a rental property on Highland Avenue in Cheshire that's off of Route 10. The landlord told me it was 23 minutes to New Haven.

What about Wooster Square? Is it a good place? This process is getting more tedious than I anticipated

Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
What about Wooster Square? Is it a good place? This process is getting more tedious than I anticipated

See the post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Since the OP has a child just entering school- This is a listing of the CMT scores for CT schools 2013-
( Connecticut Mastery Tests - grade 3). Draw your own conclusions. http://www.scribd.com/doc/160050389/CMT-2013a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut