Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,739 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I work in NYC and my wife works in Wallingford. We have been living in Lower Fairfield County (Norwalk) for past 9 months and commuting in opposite direction everyday.

The commute, so far, has been soul sucking. We are stressed and tired all the time and have decided to try an alternative: We are planning to maintain two separate apartments close to our respective workplaces. We will stay close to work on three days and commute on Thursdays and Fridays. I have flexible hours and can leave early on last two days. I honestly believe that long commute on two days is better than five.

My questions: has anyone tried this arrangement? What was your experience like? Also, what are some of the safe towns close to Wallingford? We are both in late twenties and have no kids. We will prefer renting but won't mind buying a house if anything good comes along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:52 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I don't know anyone doing this but did have a friend that got transferred from Memphis to Manhattan and took an apartment there for a while so his family did not have to move mid year. It was not easy for them.

There are a lot of nice areas your wife could live near Wallingford. I would start in Wallingford itself. Also look at neighboring North Haven. A lot will depend on budget. Hamden is also an option but you do have to be a bit careful there. Try to stay north of the Parkway if possible. Jay

Old 12-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Thanks @JayCT

Budget is not an issue right now. What are your opinions about newer constructions in New Haven (360 state street etc) or West Haven (Savin Rock)?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,137 times
We moved to Wallingford a year ago and find it to be a nice "little" town. The rentals, when you can find a good one, seem to be a bit cheaper than surrounding towns based on my searches when we moved. I could be wrong but I think you will pay significantly more for a rental in New Haven vs a comparable place in Wallingford. Having said that, I work in New Haven and find it to be a vibrant small city with a ton of options for dining, culture, etc. so if money is not the deciding factor I would encourage you to look at New Haven.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
I knew some families doing this - a few lived in the Hartford area and had a spouse who had a job in the NYC area. The spouse in the NYC area ended up taking an apartment near work during the week and then coming home on the weekends.

I know a family in East Lyme where the wife works at Pfizer in Groton, while the husband has been working in Shanghai for the past 7-8 years for (I think) Ford. He comes to visit his family several times a year, and the wife brings the kids to China in the summer for several weeks. They've managed to make it work. The wife's parents live with her and help out with the kids.

I also knew a family (also Chinese) where the husband had a job in Stamford and the wife got a medical residency up at Harvard in the Boston area. She ended up taking an apartment near Harvard, while her husband stayed home close to the family. They have 3 kids now and have been married for close to 15 years, so it worked for them (they now live in Greenwich.)

It seems like all of these cases, one spouse lived close to work, while the other endured the longer commute or lived in an apartment near their work during the week. So, I might recommend living close to Wallingford, but then having an apartment or room near your office in NYC

Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Commuting from Wallingford to NYC is absolutely insane. Even commuting from Norwalk to NYC is insane IMO.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Thanks all!

@nep321 I know it's an insane commute. Hence our plan to keep multiple apartments

@JGBigGreen We found that rents in New Haven are higher, but easily affordable. We have lived in big cities all our lives and hence emphasis on New Haven. Dining and accessibility are definitely a plus. Moreover, Metronorth helps easy commute from NYC even on some weekdays.

Do you think area near Yale (state street etc) is safe for living?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
If you like urban living then downtown New Haven is a good option. There are many very nice apartments there including 360 State Street and apartments in the Ninth Square area. West Haven is also an option but you would have to commute through New Haven and should be avoided if possible. JMHO. Jay

Old 12-16-2014, 01:26 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,137 times
I have friends who live at 360 State Street and they say it is safe but I would defer to others more familiar with the city. In my year working here, I have not found the downtown area to be dangerous at all though there are others who feel otherwise.

If I didn't have children, I would have chosen to live in New Haven without a doubt.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks @JayCT,

My wife drives from Norwalk to Wallingford everyday and passes through NH. You're right, it's a major traffic hub. We'll take a close look at New Haven/Wallingford/North Haven sand even West Haven for that natter. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut