Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 5,176 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is transferring to UCONN and we will be relocating from Virginia Beach, VA. We are in our late 20s and looking for any insight on where to start looking to live. What are the closest towns near UCONN that would be reasonable for commuting to campus, but also a decent area with restaurants, shopping, parks, etc.? Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!
TI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,494,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoldtr View Post
My boyfriend is transferring to UCONN and we will be relocating from Virginia Beach, VA. We are in our late 20s and looking for any insight on where to start looking to live. What are the closest towns near UCONN that would be reasonable for commuting to campus, but also a decent area with restaurants, shopping, parks, etc.? Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!
TI
If I were you I would look at this new project that they are building/built. Storrs Center - Mansfield, CT Main Street Neighborhood

It meets your requirements without the commute. The only town that is within commuting distance would be Vernon or Manchester.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:19 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoldtr View Post

Thanks!
TI
Welcome. I assume you mean UConn's main campus in Storrs, not one of the branches (Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford or Groton). UConn is located in the small town of Mansfield. There are some apartments there but there is not a lot of shopping or entertainment there. They just built the new Storrs Center which has a number of shops and restaurants but if that is not enough, you will have to travel about 30 minutes to be closer to Hartford for more. Many students will rent places in either Vernon or Manchester. These are more suburban type communities with a larger number of stores and restaurants. Manchester is home to the Buckland Hills retail district which has a large mall and most of the major retail stores you could want or need. There are a lot of apartments in both of these towns. It is just a matter of personal preference which would suit you best. Jay

Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
If I were you I would look at this new project that they are building/built. Storrs Center - Mansfield, CT Main Street Neighborhood

It meets your requirements without the commute. The only town that is within commuting distance would be Vernon or Manchester.

This is great, thank you!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Welcome. I assume you mean UConn's main campus in Storrs, not one of the branches (Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford or Groton). UConn is located in the small town of Mansfield. There are some apartments there but there is not a lot of shopping or entertainment there. They just built the new Storrs Center which has a number of shops and restaurants but if that is not enough, you will have to travel about 30 minutes to be closer to Hartford for more. Many students will rent places in either Vernon or Manchester. These are more suburban type communities with a larger number of stores and restaurants. Manchester is home to the Buckland Hills retail district which has a large mall and most of the major retail stores you could want or need. There are a lot of apartments in both of these towns. It is just a matter of personal preference which would suit you best. Jay

this is great, thank you!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,966,665 times
Congrats on your move. You're moving from a large city (population 450,000 or so) in a large area (500 square miles) to the rural environs of Storrs, CT.

Most of the towns in Connecticut are very small area-wise (10 to 30 square miles), so living in a place like Tolland or Vernon would give you a 10-15-20 minute commute to Storrs, but also give you quick and easy access to Manchester and South Windsor, which is home to one of the biggest retail/shopping areas in the state - Buckland Hills Mall, The Shoppes at Evergreen Walk and all the surrounding stores and restaurants (Big Box stores, chain restaurants, etc). Additionally, Vernon and Tolland are not a bad drive to Glastonbury and the more trendy restaurants there.

You could even try Manchester itself, but then you'd have a bit longer commute to Storrs - 20-30 minutes.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I will say that Storrs Center is pretty nice. It is a small mixed use development that opened a couple of years ago with small shops and restaurants, a large supermarket and a number of nice apartments. They built it as a small village center so it is very walkable and is not far from the main campus, just across Route 195. I understand that the apartments are very nice but a bit expensive. Jay

Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 AM

It definitely looks like a good option. I will check it out.

thanks again!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Storrs Center is really your only choice without having a commute. West Hartford is your best bet outside of that, has tons of restaurants, shopping, bars, street life, but is a 40 minute commute. If you go at rush hour, it could be longer going through Hartford.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,966,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Storrs Center is really your only choice without having a commute. West Hartford is your best bet outside of that, has tons of restaurants, shopping, bars, street life, but is a 40 minute commute. If you go at rush hour, it could be longer going through Hartford.
Why wouldn't Manchester or Glastonbury be options if they were looking for a decent area with restaurants, shopping, parks, etc.? Much shorter commute and they don't have to worry about going through Hartford at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut