Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 06:22 PM

7 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

So, it's my first time posting here, in fact I made this account JUST to post this thread

I have an interesting situation to share. Well.. it may be interesting to me; however, many of you probably have dealt with it before.

So the situation is this. I have 'resided' in CT for the past 2 or so years. I have a drivers license from VT, vehicle plates from VT, and registration from VT. I have not changed anything over from VT. In fact, I got my vehicle inspected in VT just in the past month. Anyhow, here is what I think the important part is. I do not in any way own the vehicle - it is my parent's. Their name is on the registration, title, insurance, whatever.

I have been talking around to a few people and this situation seems to be a bit of a gray area, because nobody has ever come across the fact that the vehicle has not been owned by them. So, after much debate I have decided to finally change all my crap over - license, plates, and get the registration transferred or whatever if I have to. Note that the 'only' reason I would do this is in case I get pulled over, and I don't want to get bit by the officer or state figuring out I have not paid taxes for the car in the past years.

What do I do? I am not especially worried about the change of residence thing 'that' much, because I think I can BS my way through the fact of residency by stating I only changed residency recently and have since had a primary residence in VT - I can say I go home every weekend and on holidays.. whatever.

I have been reading the DMV site for CT and it looks like I have to at least change my license to CT from VT, but the plates are not so clear cut. I see no verbage about the case in which I in no way own the vehicle. In fact, I found on one page about the propery tax:

Motor Vehicles are subject to a local property tax under Connecticut state law. This applies whether or not the vehicle is registered. The local property tax is computed and issued by your local tax collector.

If you do not register a motor vehicle but retain ownership, you must annually file a declaration form with your assessor(s) between October 1 and November 1.

I don't own the car, therefore......?

So, my questions are: 1. Do I have to change anything to CT (license / plates / title or registration)? 2. If I have to change an item, should I worried about the residency clauses? 3. Can I just change one item, for instance my license and not the others since I don't own the vehicle? If I change the license, do I now have to submit to the property tax?

Information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
I'm not in any way an authority on this.....I do not work for the DMV. The way I see it, you reside in Connecticut, therefore should have your license changed.....the car sounds like it's borrowed, as you do not hold title, so I do not see where it would require a change of registration. What if it were a company car, with the company based in New York ???....pretty much the same scenario in my eyes....you don't hold title......same thing with a long term rental car....IMO

Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
This has been talked about on this forum in another thread started by another poster here (and I do not mean the thread started by nep321). You should change your driver's license over to Connecticut since you live here. You will need to get your own insurance. Since the car you drive is owned by someone that lives in another state, the car does not have to be registered here but they should list you on the vehicle's insurance as a driver. If you are ever pulled over, you would simply say you are borrowing the car. No need to get into a big explanation of the circumstances. It is none of their business and they will not care. Jay

Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 7,922 times
Yeah, it seems like I am going to get my license changed over. I asked one of my coworkers in a similar situation and he said it was not hard to get his license switched, and the DMV did not care how long he resided in the state. He waited about a year before he switched. After reading the requirements for switching the license on the DMV site, the feeling is that they don't really care either. They even say you can provide non postmarked mail for address verification.

I am already listed on the insurance as a driver, and I pay my own share of it, so there shouldn't be an issue there. We just have to figure out if the license changes anything with the insurance.

By the way, I am new to this license / registration thing. Is registering your car in a state essentially saying that you now have the plates for that state on your car? Based on the above quote I found on the DMV site, it seems that if I do not retain ownership of the vehicle (borrowed from another state), I am OK with not paying the vehicle property tax.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTime77 View Post
Yeah, it seems like I am going to get my license changed over. I asked one of my coworkers in a similar situation and he said it was not hard to get his license switched, and the DMV did not care how long he resided in the state. He waited about a year before he switched. After reading the requirements for switching the license on the DMV site, the feeling is that they don't really care either. They even say you can provide non postmarked mail for address verification.

I am already listed on the insurance as a driver, and I pay my own share of it, so there shouldn't be an issue there. We just have to figure out if the license changes anything with the insurance.

By the way, I am new to this license / registration thing. Is registering your car in a state essentially saying that you now have the plates for that state on your car? Based on the above quote I found on the DMV site, it seems that if I do not retain ownership of the vehicle (borrowed from another state), I am OK with not paying the vehicle property tax.
You would have to own the car to register it in this state. And yes, if you did own it and change registrations, you would then change the license plates and begin to pay taxes here on the vehicle. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut