Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 13,366 times

Advertisements

Hello,

New to the forum because I will be moving to Danbury soon. I'm not super picky on where in Danbury as far as amenities are concerned since my place will mostly be a place to me to sleep/eat as I will be working 80 hr/weeks (which is totally normal for new doctors/interns).

I am just wondering where the least safe part(s) of Danbury are. Like where am I most likely to be hassled by panhandlers or feel unsafe? I will be looking for a place to live there this month, and it would be great if I can avoid it. I'm born and raised in Chicago, I know that Danbury probably isn't as violent-crime riddled as my beloved hometown that usually rivals any city in the US for "Murder Capital". Still, I don't want to live in the unsafe part of town.

I actually lived in Waterbury for 3 months, during my training, so if anyone can make comparisons to Waterbury overall, that is helpful. I mean, I know the bad parts of Waterbury, cuz that's where the ambulance would be bringing all of our trauma cases to the ED lol

Thanks for your help y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM

77 posts, read 76,174 times
I honestly haven't seen that many panhandlers in Danbury. I think I've been asked for money a few times when just walking around the downtown area, but they weren't aggressive about it.

Otherwise I'm not sure if you could really compare Danbury to Waterbury. Danbury's crime rate is far lower and its mall actually has stores open >_>

As for bad parts, it's not like Danbury has *that* much to offer. Once you get outside the very tiny downtown area the whole thing starts to seem pretty rural. If you're going from Waterbury, it's going to seem pretty boring.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times
I don't know that I would classify any part of Danbury as *rural* but I guess that term is subjective.... To me, outside of the small downtown area, I would describe the remaining areas as being the epitome of suburban sprawl -- lots of strip mall shopping centers, big box stores, a nice shopping mall, etc. There are some very nice suburban neighborhoods, some more densely populated neighborhoods, some plain old meh -- but not "dangerous" -- neighborhoods, and a touch of woodsy (but not "rural") neighborhoods on the westside. Quite honestly, I think North Stamford encompasses a much larger area of country/woodsiness than any part of Danbury does.

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-27-2015 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM

I've grown accustomed to the not-as-urban feel of CT. When I lived in Waterbury, I used to go to different surrounding towns to accomplish errands I could do normally in ONE prototypical urban center suburb. I lived in Detroit suburbs, Baltimore suburbs, Chicago suburbs. That much I'm ok with and actually find "charming" about CT as whole.

What I'm not used to is a lack of the "wrong side of the tracks" or "skid row". If Danbury lacks seedy parts, I know I don't have to avoid anywhere as I search for housing. I can compare value or housing amenities, as opposed to what often happens other places. Like in Chicago, I can get a 600 sq.ft place in a seedy part of town for 1/2 the price of one in a "better" area. When I was at St. Mary's in Waterbury, we were told to try to avoid living close to the hospital.

I appreciate the input. If you or anyone else wants to add to what is already posted, feel free!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM

I'm not saying it lacks "seedy" parts, because that too is subjective (and in my opinion there are definitely some) I am saying there are no truly dangerous parts -- as in it's not known for drive by shootings, murders, regular rapes, constant muggings, or that sort of thing. Least nice areas IMO -- beaver street, and surrounding blocks. I'm also not personally fond of the area between the hospital and white street and an imaginary triangle that extends westward from that point up to and around Main Street.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
I don't know if any part of Danbury will feel dangerous. Areas where there's a bit more crime are around downtown and behind Ethan Allen on Mill Plain Rd. Beaver Street and Spring Street are pretty dumpy. There's other parts around downtown that are dumpy, but not "dangerous".

Best parts of Danbury are near Brookfield and New Fairfield, near the lake, and most of the west side.

Last edited by Stylo; 04-27-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't know if any part of Danbury will feel dangerous. Areas where there's a bit more crime are around downtown and behind Ethan Allen on Mill Plain Rd. Beaver Street and Spring Street are pretty dumpy. There's other parts around downtown that are dumpy, but not "dangerous".

Best parts of Danbury are near Brookfield and New Fairfield, near the lake, and most of the west side.
Yeah, forgot about the area behind EA. I too second that, and add it to my "least favorite parts" list.

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-27-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 08:04 PM

Most of the places I am considering are on the northside of I-84. The ones south are nearer (north of) the hospital. None of those streets/addresses are on my current list. So I must be in good shape so far.

Who knew behind the Ethan Allen would be a shady? lol

That's why I'm here to learn tho

Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfabgti6 View Post
Most of the places I am considering are on the northside of I-84. The ones south are nearer (north of) the hospital. None of those streets/addresses are on my current list. So I must be in good shape so far.
That's a perfectly fine area. No worries at all. good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut