Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should UCONN Join The Big 10/Big East
Yes 10 71.43%
No 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 PM

660 posts, read 658,860 times

Advertisements

In 2011-2013, The University of Connecticut got rejected to join the ACC not once, but a few times. Schools in the Power Five conferences (the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12) get much more media attention than schools in UCONN's division, the AAC. Some schools in the Power 5 Conferences such as Oregon, Duke, Clemson, Alabama, Syracuse, Florida, etc get all the media attention in the nation for anything in the NCAA World. When UCONN wins in the NCAA Division I Tournament, it wasn't big outside of Connecticut. If/when a Power 5 conference wins the Final 4, the news goes everywhere for weeks. When Ohio won the college football playoffs, the news stayed around and still is being spread around. Even when a Power 5 School wins the Final 4, it remains the favorite to win it again. When UCONN won it, it still wasn't favored and got little media attention.

If UCONN does apply for the Big 10 and gets rejected, should it rejoin the new Big East. As a senior who applied for UCONN, I definitely think UCONN should apply for the Big 10 or rejoin the Big East. Although the Big East isn't a Power 5 Conference anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
OP is obviously not a member of The Boneyard.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:40 PM

660 posts, read 658,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
OP is obviously not a member of [URL="http://www.the-boneyard.com"]The Boneyard[/URL].
You are right, I am not

Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
OP is obviously not a member of The Boneyard.
wow - the Boneyard - a name I haven't heard in a long long time. (like, since the 90s) didn't even know they were still around.

I think BC has blocked/has been blocking UConn from entering the ACC for a while now. But, I would guess that would be the most logical conference for UConn to join. Otherwise, the Big 10 would be nice, but those are some big football schools & stadiums there.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Big 10 no Big East yes

Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,858 times
To be honest, the Big 10 doesn't really need any more programs to fill out the bottom of the standings.
Big Ten Conference Football Standings

It's basically six teams that have 7-0 to 5-2 conference records, and six teams that have 0-7 to 2-5 conference records. The last two added teams (Rutgers and Maryland) are in the loser group. UConn would be in the second group too. Do people really want a 0-7 conference record?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,980 times
never understood why schools like Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, etc got invites to other conferences while UConn didn't. UConn has won more championships than any of the other schools so you'd think they'd be more attractive. nope. I had heard that the reason for all the realignment was based purely on the revenue the football programs generates. that's fine considering UC does not have a great football program but guess what - the afore mentioned schools don't have great football programs either. so UC got jobbed that way. they got jobbed again when the Big East eventually morphed into an all basketball conference. UC's Div I football program made them a misfit and were forced out.
they deserve to/should be in a much bigger conference because this AAC thing is a joke.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
never understood why schools like Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, etc got invites to other conferences while UConn didn't. UConn has won more championships than any of the other schools so you'd think they'd be more attractive. nope. I had heard that the reason for all the realignment was based purely on the revenue the football programs generates. that's fine considering UC does not have a great football program but guess what - the afore mentioned schools don't have great football programs either. so UC got jobbed that way. they got jobbed again when the Big East eventually morphed into an all basketball conference. UC's Div I football program made them a misfit and were forced out.
they deserve to/should be in a much bigger conference because this AAC thing is a joke.
The original ACC excuse was that UConn was not as good academically as Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, etc.

But, then the ACC let in Louisville and another school that were below UConn in terms of academics, so that argument no longer held water.

I believe it's the former Big East teams of BC and Miami that have blocked UConn. BC doesn't want intra-New England competition in football, and there was bad blood between Miami and UConn when Miami dumped the Big East for the ACC. (I remember that Coach K at Duke and the UNC coach were excited to have UConn in the conference, but were then stunned when BC and Miami vetoed the UConn invite.)

To be honest, though, a BC v UConn rivalry in football would be great for New England college football.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM

54 posts, read 80,467 times
Might as well ask if they should join the AFC East. Sure, but it ain't happening.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:07 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,120 times
old big east would be more attractive then the AAC at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: