Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times

Advertisements

Hi all...
We have been living in Stamford for 5 yrs now, and my older kid will be starting her K grade next school yr. We are thinking of moving to Redding is just for the school district... I would really appreciate if anyone can tell how are redding schools compared with Stamford schools, are there after school programs like sports ?? Do they have Arts and Music class?? One more thing am thinking about is We are Asian Indians and am aware that there wouldn't be many kids who come from diverse community in Redding, but am just concerned whether my girl will be accepted socially and will be able to make friends.

Thanks for ur replies..
San.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 08:42 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Schools in Redding are definitely better than Stamford, in fact most of the towns surrounding the Redding area have better schools than Stamford. Most of Redding is pretty rural which means you are far from big box stores the closest ones are in Westport/Norwalk or Danbury. The schools in Redding are excellent with students performing ahead of state averages on the Connecticut Academic Performance tests. Class sizes are reasonable.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:30 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Redding schools are considered to be very good. Children there go to Redding Elementary for K through 4 and then to John Reade Middle School for 5 through 8. The high school in Redding is Joel Barlow which is shared with Easton. All of the schools are very good. The school does offer music and arts programs which I think would be true of any school in the area. You can find out more about the schools in Redding on the website below.

Redding Elementary is not particularly diverse. They have about 3% of the students listed as Asian American which is the only breakdown of ethnic background given. Still it should not be a problem for your child since the town is very well educated and most people are accepting of others from different backgrounds. I think you would likely have more issues getting used to a more rural town where you will likely be further from shopping and other amenities than you are today. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Redding is a small affluent town, with the median sales price of $525,000 this year per CMLS. There has been a couple of foreclosures and short sales. The town is not favorable upon devolpment or change. Most shopping and services is located about 15 minutes away. I have been showing down there as of late, and it is farly easy to get around since there is minimal traffic. Some homes are located on secondary roads,but there are some neighborhoods.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
It's not that the schools in Redding are better, you just have a better percentage of educated parents who prioritize their kids' education. It's what you want. Do you like a diverse student body racially and economically? If you don't, then check out Redding. While I'm sure Redding offers a good amount of extracurriculars, Stamford schools likely offer more due to it's size and diversity. As others have pointed out, Redding is rural. Take into consideration what you are used to and if you are okay driving further distances to amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut