Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband recently was asked to relocate to Danbury from VA. He obviously has a choice to go. It would be a promotion and more money which is always nice. We currently live in Northern Virginia so prices are pretty high here. It appears Danbury apartment prices are similar to what we are currently paying, some appear more some appear less.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? Areas to stay away from? Areas to move to? Hidden gems (cheaper apartments in nice areas)? What about moving right outside Danbury to save money?

He hasn't officially said yes yet. We are trying to make sure finances will work even with the promotion and raise.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Danbury is about as cheap as it gets in Fairfield County. The bordering towns are more expensive. Look at towns further up east on Rt 84 or further up north out of county. It's not too hard of a town to commute to.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
Welcome to Connecticut, if you do decide to move. Danbury is a very safe small city, but there are a few areas to avoid (somebody else could give more details on that to me)

The school system is large and children have a lot of options in regards to what to study, but the overall performance of Danbury schools are below CT averages. That said, CT typically has one of the best performing public school systems in the country, so below average in CT can be average in other states.

Some of the suburbs of Danbury are more expensive, but are also extremely safe, family oriented and have excellent schools.

Property taxes will be higher in CT, as will most of your utilities. I think VA has a slightly higher income tax rate, if I'm not mistaken, unless you make over $100,000/year.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:17 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
There are several newer apartment complexes in the area as well as individually owned townhomes that may become available for rent. It has a large school system, but I did have a very positive experience going through. Rents in Bethel and Brookfield will be just as much. There is usually a price drop once you are up in New Milford, but that is usually due to older and small apartments.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:48 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Budget? That's very important before we can make any recommendations.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
What is your budget and what do you expect for it? Also what type of community do you like and are schools important to you? These answers will help us steer you in the right direction. Jay

Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
What you looking for in a town? Area is pretty much quiet suburbs. Danbury is the best of the small urban cities in CT. The school system I have heard has ran into trouble recently, but take that with a grain of salt.

There is great restaurants in Danbury. Awesome grocery store in Danbury. Second largest mall in the state. Decent movie theater with some great box store's in the area. Also a few beautiful park's.

The town's surrounding Danbury are very community oriented decent school systems can't go wrong.

You have Brookfield, New Milford, New Fairfield, and Bethel. New Fairfield I say be the most rural. If you want more affluent type town Ridgefield or Wilton would meet those needs.

I love New Milford very very community oriented. If you live closer to the Green you have basically a straight shot down to Danbury with the expansion of Route 7.

New Milford is so large that you can be in the wood's, be in a farm area, be in a residential neighborhood, or in a developed area with store's.

The Green has most of the local run store's from books, to coffee, to jewelry, to restaurants, a pub, to a movie theater, and so forth.

Also in town an Art Center for kid's and a great library. A lot of volunteer and civil service opportunities in New Milford.

Also lots of places to hike and swim. There is a nature center in New Milford.

Going down the strip lots of big box stores. Think there is a Walmart, Petco or Petsmart, a Big Lot's, and a Kohl's.

One thing New Milford lacks in not sure a negative is no chain restaurants or lots of chain gyms or a YMCA.

The school's are decent there is public, private, and Catholic schooling options. The High School has a great marching band and a planetarium.

Also on thst Route 7 area have golf course's, Sport's Center, driving range, batting cages, go-karts, and so forth closer you get to Brookfield.

Also New Milford has it's own small hospital believe a level 3 Trauma center with 100 beds or something like that.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,591 times
Thanks for the answers so far! I'm so glad a friend recommended this board.

We are looking to pay around what we pay now, about $1600 for a 2 bedroom apartment. We obviously can go a little higher but we would like to spend no more than $1900 - and that is a bit on the high side considering when we first move I won't have a job but we can make it work.

No kids to factor in. At some point we would like them but right now it's not a factor.

Also, what about jobs? I will need to quit my job but don't have a college degree. How is the job market in and around Danbury? I currently work at a title company (real estate) in Virginia and will be looking for just your basic office job, receptionist, admin, or data entry.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
Under $1900 plus utilities is very doable in the Danbury area for a 2 bedroom rental, provided solid a solid credit report. Danbury does have the lowest unemployment rate in the state. The major employers in the area including Boehringer Ingelheim, Cartus, Danbury Hospital, Westconn, and the Danbury Public Schools. I don't think you would have a hard time finding a job.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:24 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Many options in the area, excluding area outside of Ridgefield, can find house's/apartment's under $1500. New Milford cam probably land a few secretary type job's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut