Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to NYC tomorrow and plan to drive to Darien from Boston to catch the train. I can't believe that a web ticket has to be mailed to me and that MTA doesn't have an app in order to buy tickets. Even the much maligned MBTA commuter rail system has a mobile ticket app that I use regularly.

Discuss.

PS - Is there wifi on Metro North trains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:03 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
There are lots of complaints re: MetroNorth, but lack of a ticketing app is not one that I've heard. That said, it seems like something they should have.

No wifi. 4G/LTE coverage is pretty good until you go underground in Manhattan.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 AM

854 posts, read 1,241,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Even the much maligned MBTA commuter rail system has a mobile ticket app that I use regularly.
MBTA is a horrible commuter-rail system, objectively amongst the worst in the civilized world. They have an app? Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:
So I'm going to NYC tomorrow and plan to drive to Darien from Boston to catch the train. I can't believe that a web ticket has to be mailed to me and that MTA doesn't have an app in order to buy tickets. Even the much maligned MBTA commuter rail system has a mobile ticket app that I use regularly.

Discuss.

PS - Is there wifi on Metro North trains?
You can purchase your ticket right on the platform in Darien. Make sure you have parking arranged as daily parking fills quickly at all stations. (Welcome to the Town of Darien, Connecticut - Railroad Station Parking)

If you don't have parking arranged, the nearby South Norwalk station has a public garage-- and also ticket machines on the platform.

Enjoy your trip.

And, good grief, Metro North is heavenly compared to the MBTA!

Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,465,729 times
If they are coming from Boston why are they going to Darien and why not Stamford?? Weekend parking is free, so Saturday shouldn't be a problem, and Darien has a lot of spots. Make sure to get a ticket on the platform (they have ticket vending machines on the platform that take credit, debit or cash). If you purchase on the train, it's like a 5% surcharge and I think cash only.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
. If you purchase on the train, it's like a 5% surcharge and I think cash only.
It's a 55% (not 5%) surcharge and they occasionally accept credit cards.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
If they are coming from Boston why are they going to Darien and why not Stamford?? Weekend parking is free, so Saturday shouldn't be a problem, and Darien has a lot of spots. Make sure to get a ticket on the platform (they have ticket vending machines on the platform that take credit, debit or cash). If you purchase on the train, it's like a 5% surcharge and I think cash only.
Parking at the station in Stamford is free on the weekends?

I've been going back and forth whether to take the train from Darien or South Norwalk. I didn't realize that parking at Darien was that tight. I guess I'll got to SoNo.

As for Metro North vs. MBTA, I've never ridden the former. I use the MBTA commuter rail a couple of times per month and it works for me. I've been using the MBTA commuter rail ticket app for about a year now and it's great especially since only the terminus stations sell tickets. If I have to go into Boston for a meeting, I can buy a ticket while sitting in the parking lot.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Quote:
Parking at the station in Stamford is free on the weekends?

I've been going back and forth whether to take the train from Darien or South Norwalk. I didn't realize that parking at Darien was that tight. I guess I'll got to SoNo.

As for Metro North vs. MBTA, I've never ridden the former. I use the MBTA commuter rail a couple of times per month and it works for me. I've been using the MBTA commuter rail ticket app for about a year now and it's great especially since only the terminus stations sell tickets. If I have to go into Boston for a meeting, I can buy a ticket while sitting in the parking lot.
No, go to Darien. On a Saturday the parking lot there will be empty and free of charge.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
The OP did not say when they will return. If they are planning to stay until Monday, they need to make sure they park in one of the day parking spaces because they could get ticketed Monday morning. If longer stay, not sure what they should do. Probably then go to Stamford or Norwalk garages. Jay

Old 05-13-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
No, go to Darien. On a Saturday the parking lot there will be empty and free of charge.
I thought since you asked why I'm going to Darien instead of Stamford, I presumed you meant to say Stamford was free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The OP did not say when they will return. If they are planning to stay until Monday, they need to make sure they park in one of the day parking spaces because they could get ticketed Monday morning. If longer stay, not sure what they should do. Probably then go to Stamford or Norwalk garages. Jay
It's a long day trip so I'll make sure to park in the right spaces.

I had thought of going to Stratford but it's and 1:45 ride ride each way on the train. I can drive the extra 25 minutes and shave 45 minutes off the train ride.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut