Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Hi, so my wife and I are renting for the first time ever on our own.

Trying to decide on internet provider.

Was thinking of Frontier, but heard they have a bad rap. Think that was when they just started in CT. The only other 2 choices are Version or XFINITY.

Was debating to cut the cord and do internet only. Even if I did Direct TV Now it cost the same and less channels.

Any insight can offer up on these 2 providers in CT much appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:13 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
We considered going with AT&T Direct TV, but found that what they considered "local channels", were all NY channels, so didn't go forward with it. We are with Comcast and paying extremely high fees, but it seems they are the only game in our area.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:49 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Frontier is slow. I have Optimum and am happy with the speeds. I got rid of Uverse/Frontier because the Internet wasn’t competitive.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
They all have their problems. Comcast here - it's my only choice. Internet only, we have an antenna for the TV

My biggest beef is with their customer service. My lines are old - what comes into the house is from the 1980s. I added internet in the late 90s and they piggybacked that onto the TV line with a splitter in a huge box on the side of the house and ran it up to the second floor in a pile on the outside of the house (I've eliminated the box and splitter, the second floor line is next). They told me that had to do it that way, now techs look at it and say WTF.

They are very good at placing the blame on customer equipment yet every single time there's been a problem, it's with their equipment. Last time "my internal" problem was something far down the line that took 400 people out at once, multiple times a day. Yet they would tell me there were no reported problems in my area. They expect me to believe that the entire node of 400 households goes down at once and I'm the only one that noticed it? This went on for months.

I currently have interference coming from the outside lines. I was told this over via fb chat (they won't fix without an inside appointment). I saw a tech next door 2 weeks ago and he was looking at my neighbors issues which were caused by my interference. Instead of fixing the problem, it looks like they gave her a booster. So I still have to deal with it.

I like when I see the techs, they are much easier to deal with than the morons on the phone.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 04-01-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 09:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
My girlfriend has Frontier in West Hartford. That's copper, not old AT&T U-verse plant. She's very close to the DSLAM and has two copper pairs bonded together (two separate phone circuits) going to an Arris DSL-router. Internet is adequate. She has voice & video. The voice never gets used but it's only a couple bucks per month. The video is lousy compared to Comcast X1. Since everything runs over DSL, it's highly compressed. Lots of compression artifacts. With the amount of TV she watches, she should ditch everything but the 2xDSL service.

I'm in the cable business. I'd go with Comcast for internet and buy my own cable modem. You don't want a cable modem that has integral WiFi. You want a separate WiFi router. Avoid the Comcast-branded XB3 and XB6 cable modem + WiFi stuff at all costs.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:48 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
I heard Frontier is DSL so not sure on that. Can get think 64 Mbps for around $40 with Frontier.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
We have Comcast but have never liked them. Mainly we want internet but if you bundle it with basic tv, it comes out the same price or a little cheaper so we ended up getting the tv too. It's still not cheap.

Worst part is dealing with them. It was bad at our old house and bad here in CT too. It can take hours on the phone and they don't help much when you have an issue. Sometimes you can get someone to come to the house and they are more helpful but they will say things like, "Please don't blame me for the service."

We have our own modem rather than renting one from them. The wifi is okay but at first it was down a lot. Better since they finally sent someone out.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:22 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My girlfriend has Frontier in West Hartford. That's copper, not old AT&T U-verse plant. She's very close to the DSLAM and has two copper pairs bonded together (two separate phone circuits) going to an Arris DSL-router. Internet is adequate. She has voice & video. The voice never gets used but it's only a couple bucks per month. The video is lousy compared to Comcast X1. Since everything runs over DSL, it's highly compressed. Lots of compression artifacts. With the amount of TV she watches, she should ditch everything but the 2xDSL service.

I'm in the cable business. I'd go with Comcast for internet and buy my own cable modem. You don't want a cable modem that has integral WiFi. You want a separate WiFi router. Avoid the Comcast-branded XB3 and XB6 cable modem + WiFi stuff at all costs.
Yeah, I have a Motorola Surfboard I got from Amazon, and a mesh Wi-Fi and get ~420 down consistently across the house.

The Optimum modem wasn’t built in Wi-Fi, but didn’t perform as well and needed to be reset often

Old 04-01-2018, 06:28 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We have Comcast but have never liked them. Mainly we want internet but if you bundle it with basic tv, it comes out the same price or a little cheaper so we ended up getting the tv too. It's still not cheap.

Worst part is dealing with them. It was bad at our old house and bad here in CT too. It can take hours on the phone and they don't help much when you have an issue. Sometimes you can get someone to come to the house and they are more helpful but they will say things like, "Please don't blame me for the service."

We have our own modem rather than renting one from them. The wifi is okay but at first it was down a lot. Better since they finally sent someone out.
Try using FB messages - that has worked best for me with Comcast, Target and other large companies. There seem to be people with a good command of the English language on the other end of the keyboard. Downfall is it may take a day or two for them to get back to you but if it's not urgent, it sure saves the stress of the phone call.

I also buy my own modem and wifi, but they like to throw that in your fact too. I love how they send letters out saying your internet will no longer work if you don't upgrade your modem. I did mine a year after I got the letter. 3 years later my boyfriend has not changed his and he still has internet.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:29 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, so my wife and I are renting for the first time ever on our own.

Trying to decide on internet provider.

Was thinking of Frontier, but heard they have a bad rap. Think that was when they just started in CT. The only other 2 choices are Version or XFINITY.

Was debating to cut the cord and do internet only. Even if I did Direct TV Now it cost the same and less channels.

Any insight can offer up on these 2 providers in CT much appreciate it.
Subscribe to Comcast for internet only. If you have a game console get one their TV providers.
Sony Playstation = PS Vue
Xbox One = Sling TV

Rates are as low as $25 per month.

These two services may be available thru a roku box as well, but I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut