Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 AM

73 posts, read 75,441 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how accurate is the crime map is on realtor.com? I thought Wethersfield was relatively safe, especially near the cove, but almost every house I like is in the pink. Is it my price max ($250,000)? Is there another map from the state that I can compare or should I stick to towns with no pinks like Portland? I still have kids at home. One house I really love is only 1 street away from dark red yet is in the crime free section according to the map? Thank you for hearing me out & steering me to another map or town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM

34,951 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Wethersfield is safe. I would not hesitate to live there. especially Old Wethersfield which is where the cove is located.

I just looked at that crime map and I do find it suspect. The map shows several blocks or zones of pink including a couple of very strange isolated blocks of it to the south too. If you notice these pink blocks are centered on the Silas Deane Highway so it likely has to do with typical crime found in retail areas. I have a feeling that pink extending into the residential area between Silas Deane and Wolcott Hill Road has more to do with how the zones or blocks analyzed are set up than there being any serious crime there. Wolcott Hill Road and the streets off of it are beautiful and very safe. Also note that in the middle of that cove area pink zone is the Wethersfield Police Department. I doubt there is much significant crime in the vicinity of that.

Furthermore most of Newington is a similar shade of pink. The same for West Hartford too. And the map has a darker shade of pink in the very wealthy section of Hartford in and around Scarboro Street and Elizabeth Park which is one of the wealthiest census blocks in the region and the site of the Governor's Mansion. Makes me think the map is not very precise.

I would not worry about living in that area. It is safe and you should not have issues. Jay

Old 07-06-2018, 12:27 PM

331 posts, read 208,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norahl View Post
Anyone know how accurate is the crime map is on realtor.com? I thought Wethersfield was relatively safe, especially near the cove, but almost every house I like is in the pink. Is it my price max ($250,000)? Is there another map from the state that I can compare or should I stick to towns with no pinks like Portland? I still have kids at home. One house I really love is only 1 street away from dark red yet is in the crime free section according to the map? Thank you for hearing me out & steering me to another map or town.
It is. I have never heard of anyone saying otherwise. I am there almost every week. No one seems nervous lol.

You need to looks up the population vs crime to analyze the statistics. What types of crimes are committed that warrant that number? A Public intoxication arrest or smoking marijuana isn’t the same same as rape or murder.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

73 posts, read 75,441 times
Thanks for the quick replies. Makes me feel better and it will help to analyze more precisely.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:18 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norahl View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. Makes me feel better and it will help to analyze more precisely.
If you have concerns, call the local police department for crime stats in the area.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:29 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times
Right on this site there are crime stats. Wethersfield is 101 in 2015 with 283 being the US average so I would say it is a safe town. Also it has a crime map on it too. You can see where the crime is in relation to the house you are buying.

All of Wethersfield on this map is the lightest color which is the safest.

For comparison here is Hartford and you can see all the dark colors which is the higher crime.

You would need to keep checking the crime maps about every week or so to see the changes. Also if you google "crime heat map" there are crime maps sites.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 06:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you notice these pink blocks are centered on the Silas Deane Highway so it likely has to do with typical crime found in retail areas. I have a feeling that pink extending into the residential area between Silas Deane and Wolcott Hill Road has more to do with how the zones or blocks analyzed are set up than there being any serious crime there.

My town is like that. It has a mall and all the big box stores. That produces tons of property crime and skews the crime rate for the town. If you're concerned, pretty much any town has a police log up on the web.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 PM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
I’m not sure what’s up with their maps. Some strange areas pop. Southport Harbor. Real rough.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM

34,951 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I’m not sure what’s up with their maps. Some strange areas pop. Southport Harbor. Real rough.
Really? Yacht fights? Jay

Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's not so odd. If I were a criminal I would probably want to break into rich people's houses/cars and not poor ones. Especially rich people that live near I-95 (to make a quick getaway) like in Southport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut