Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 02:07 PM

331 posts, read 207,751 times

Advertisements

I have lived in CT nearly 9 years, but only became a resident in 2016. Never owned a home before. If I planned to finish a partial basement to full and remodel a very dated kitchen would my taxes increase? I know we would need permits to do these things, but who applies for them? Me or a contractor?

also do the tax accessors come into your home to look at the updates?

I was previously an Indiana resident and unless an owner is messing with plumbing, electrical etc. permits aren’t necessary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 02:16 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Permits are required: https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Common-Ele...tacts/Building

You or your contractor applies for the permit depending on who is doing the work.

CT follows ICC 2012: https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/Office-of-...de/Regulations

Your assessed value will be adjusted to reflect the improvements to the property.

The assessor may come to your door but you don't have to let them in. They will then estimate the value of the house from a exterior visual inspection ie 4 vent stacks coming out of the roof, then they can presume you have 4 bathrooms.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM

331 posts, read 207,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Permits are required: https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Common-Ele...tacts/Building

You or your contractor applies for the permit depending on who is doing the work.

CT follows ICC 2012: https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/Office-of-...de/Regulations

Your assessed value will be adjusted to reflect the improvements to the property.

The assessor may come to your door but you don't have to let them in. They will then estimate the value of the house from a exterior visual inspection ie 4 vent stacks coming out of the roof, then they can presume you have 4 bathrooms.
So it is best to let them in lol? My taxes will go up. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:50 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
So it is best to let them in lol? My taxes will go up. Thanks.
It is best to get a permit and have the town inspect the improvements to sign off on them. When you go to sell the house, any undocumented improvements will come out and will likely be reflected in a lower purchase price. I have seen deals which failed because of unpermitted improvements. Buyers can walk away. A kitchen remodel that does not add square footage will likely not increase your taxes. A basement remodel may if it adds square footage to the home. Still it is worth the little it adds to taxes in order to add value at the time of sale. Jay

Old 06-19-2018, 08:25 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
Check with your town on what needs permitting. Usually anything electrical or plumbing or structural will require it. In years past home inspectors seemed to rarely check and confirm permits, in the last 5-10 years it has been more common for them to do so which as mentioned can cause resale issues. (my guess is they were always supposed to do it but now the records are easier to get without spending half a day at town hall.)
I know very few people who have seen dramatic valuation changes without an actual addition. Personally I don't think an appraiser has even asked to come in my house, or we weren't home when it happened. My appraisal seems to go up and down at random with each appraisal.

Also note many contractors kind of stretch the rules here. I know many who do not pull permits on small jobs even if they should. So if you want to make sure your on the up and up have it in writing who is responsible for the permits.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,430 times
In my town you aren't taxed on a finished basement if it is <50% of the square footage of your first floor- so check with your town hall.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
In my town you aren't taxed on a finished basement if it is <50% of the square footage of your first floor- so check with your town hall.
I had heard this too but was not sure other towns did that too. I agree the OP needs to talk to the building department and the tax assessor. Jay

Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have seen deals which failed because of unpermitted improvements. Buyers can walk away.
Happened to a friend of mine.. Found a buyer who made an offer but after their inspector walked through the buyer said seller needed to obtain a permit for the basement that was finished and move the electrical panel which was near the oil tank. My friend didn't want to credit them for it or go through obtaining a permit..Buyer backed out

2 weeks go by, another buyer makes an offer and neither they nor their inspector said anything about the basement. Home closed. All done.

So the truth in all this is..... While your deal may fail because of unpermitted improvements, you can find buyers who don't care...especially in a good market where there are many potential buyers around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
If I planned to finish a partial basement to full and remodel a very dated kitchen would my taxes increase? I know we would need permits to do these things, but who applies for them? Me or a contractor?

Taxes shouldn't increase (much) for just updates and you dont need a permit for kitchen remodel unless you are changing the wall structure of the inside or touching plumbing or electric. Basement is different on the other hand. You need a permit. Taxes would go up if you're adding a bathroom down there, ect. I assume go up if its part of living area down there too. This is why people don't apply for it. CT needs to figure out why Indiana is better. (lol) Contractor usually gets the permit and you pay for it..

Old 06-21-2018, 06:26 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
You do need to permit the work. Town could force you to rip it all out if done unpermitted. And yes your assessment will increase.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Happened to a friend of mine.. Found a buyer who made an offer but after their inspector walked through the buyer said seller needed to obtain a permit for the basement that was finished and move the electrical panel which was near the oil tank. My friend didn't want to credit them for it or go through obtaining a permit..Buyer backed out

2 weeks go by, another buyer makes an offer and neither they nor their inspector said anything about the basement. Home closed. All done.

So the truth in all this is..... While your deal may fail because of unpermitted improvements, you can find buyers who don't care...especially in a good market where there are many potential buyers around.

Taxes shouldn't increase (much) for just updates and you dont need a permit for kitchen remodel unless you are changing the wall structure of the inside or touching plumbing or electric. Basement is different on the other hand. You need a permit. Taxes would go up if you're adding a bathroom down there, ect. I assume go up if its part of living area down there too. This is why people don't apply for it. CT needs to figure out why Indiana is better. (lol) Contractor usually gets the permit and you pay for it..
Why do you say Indiana is better? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut