Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,842,710 times

Advertisements

It took half a year to get here, (too much to liquidate, sell, give away, etc in KS.) but we are FINALLY full time residents. Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 07:28 AM

21,875 posts, read 28,253,042 times
Congrats, where did you move to?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM

35,084 posts, read 57,196,566 times
Great, thanks for letting us know. We get a lot of naysayers here who do nothing but complain so it is nice when someone comes back and tells us how happy they are that they moved here. Jay

Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,177,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Great, thanks for letting us know. We get a lot of naysayers here who do nothing but complain so it is nice when someone comes back and tells us how happy they are that they moved here. Jay
Well, I'd have to imagine that anywhere is better than Kansas, so let's not get too cocky

Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM

4,500 posts, read 3,390,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
It took half a year to get here, (too much to liquidate, sell, give away, etc in KS.) but we are FINALLY full time residents. Love it.
I don't know much about Kansas except that Dorothy (Wizard of Oz) lived there and I think they have a lot of corn/wheat. I had to look up Kansas and it's economy.

"Nearly 90% of Kansas' land is devoted to agriculture.[34] The state's agricultural outputs are cattle, sheep, wheat, sorghum, soybeans, cotton, hogs, corn, and salt. As of 2018, there were 59,600 farms in Kansas, 86 (0.14%) of which are certified organic farms.[34] The average farm in the state is about 770 acres (more than a square mile), and in 2016, the average cost of running the farm was $300,000."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas

That's an amazing statistic in bold. What do you do for work in Kansas? What do you do for entertainment? Did you retire to Kansas?

I am glad you are happy. Some people like the simple uncomplicated life.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:58 AM

Stylo, Higganum/Killingworth right on the line, in the woods.

Yeah, we really didn't fit in KS, we're too blue, too funky, too independent and it was too hot and dry for us climatically speaking. We spent 35 years in AK before moving to KS and that just made us the weirdos that came from Alaska. That was actually said to the handyman that we hired to help us. Not a bad thing to be IMO but as folks approaching senior citizenship it made community really hard to find. We were/are retired but we did some organic farming, reconstructed an older farmhouse, and I had an event based vintage clothing business in Kansas City about 40 miles away.

We are pretty self entertaining. We're both introverts that like gardening, sailing, travel, green technology, learning. Most of our family is gone so we could be anywhere we wanted to be within reason and we are replicating in some ways our AK experience that we were most comfortable with. AK-lite. We are home.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:23 AM

6,346 posts, read 11,129,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Stylo, Higganum/Killingworth right on the line, in the woods.

Yeah, we really didn't fit in KS, we're too blue, too funky, too independent and it was too hot and dry for us climatically speaking. We spent 35 years in AK before moving to KS and that just made us the weirdos that came from Alaska. That was actually said to the handyman that we hired to help us. Not a bad thing to be IMO but as folks approaching senior citizenship it made community really hard to find. We were/are retired but we did some organic farming, reconstructed an older farmhouse, and I had an event based vintage clothing business in Kansas City about 40 miles away.

We are pretty self entertaining. We're both introverts that like gardening, sailing, travel, green technology, learning. Most of our family is gone so we could be anywhere we wanted to be within reason and we are replicating in some ways our AK experience that we were most comfortable with. AK-lite. We are home.
It depends upon where you live in KS. I lived in a couple of different places and worked in the state and some of the areas were just fine. A couple were not. I am very independent and from CT and I will say that being a non conformist in many areas of the Midwest is more of a problems for the people there than in the Northeast. Not all mind you but way too many. MO may have been a better place for you though. Lived there for years too and it was also hit or miss there as well. Half the places I lived and worked were fine and the other half were not.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 AM

We talked about this WILW. If we had not moved to a rural locale we might have done better. Had we moved to Kansas City, the Plaza area, some of the older neighborhoods of KCMO, or central Lawrence we might still be there. I met lots of great folks through my business.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:39 AM

249 posts, read 356,010 times
The HK area sounds like a great fit for you! Have you had a chance to get down to Chester? I love that little downtown area.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 AM

21,875 posts, read 28,253,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
The HK area sounds like a great fit for you! Have you had a chance to get down to Chester? I love that little downtown area.
Yes, Chester is really nice and has some great eateries too. And now a new brewery. Nearby Essex is also gorgeous, though not as much as far as dining.

Add on Guilford, Madison, Stony Creek, Old Saybrook, Downtown New Haven/Yale/East Rock/Wooster Square... so many beautiful places to walk around in that area despite feeling isolated where the OP is.

OP, you would probably really like the CitySeed farmer's market in Wooster Square. http://cityseed.org/wooster-square/

New Haven also has some cool, funky vintage and antique shops to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut