Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 AM

215 posts, read 148,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If a person gets a DUI off duty, why should they be penalized at work as violating substance abuse policies, as long as the alcohol is out of their system? Again, marijuana remains in your system for an extended period of time. Alcohol does not.
So going off of you're reasoning, cocaine and meth would be ok to use off work hours if legal, since its out of your system quickly.

Marijuana remaining in your system for longer doesn't mean its still affecting you the entire time....

We're going in circles, and I wasn't even replying to you. You believe marijuana effects everyone after one puff (with no mention of what that puff quantity is), I know for a fact that's not true, no point in continuing this with you.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Why stop at pot then? Why not allow all drugs, crack, coke, heroin? Even more money for the state, and definitely more jobs especially for gang members. I'd say go for it.
How does changing an industry from illegal to legal lead to an INCREASE of jobs for gang members? Genuinely curious, because every time and place an illegal industry is legalized it leads to more money for the government, increased safety for all involved, and reduces the ability for gangs to profit.

Do you have examples for that occurring?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:45 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
So going off of you're reasoning, cocaine and meth would be ok to use off work hours if legal, since its out of your system quickly.

Marijuana remaining in your system for longer doesn't mean its still affecting you the entire time....

We're going in circles, and I wasn't even replying to you. You believe marijuana effects everyone after one puff (with no mention of what that puff quantity is), I know for a fact that's not true, no point in continuing this with you.
It doesn’t matter who you’re replying to - this is a forum; if you’d like to have a one on one discussion, that’s what the Direct Messages feature is for.

And yes - should cocaine and meth be legalized, if they aren’t in your system at the time of a drug screen, and if your employer doesn’t ban you from using them off duty, then why shouldn’t people be able to use it? You’re confusing having drugs in your system on duty with employee ethics off duty. Two totally different things.

You’re okay with a firefighter, doctor or police officer, who are responsible for people’s lives, having marijuana in their system? These people cannot even take certain medications off duty, so why would it be okay for them to smoke marijuana off duty? Considering your history of vilifying police officers in this forum, I’d bet if tomorrow, a MA police officer had to use force against someone and had marijuana in his/her system, you’d be calling for their badge.

And yes, again, the effects of marijuana are immediate after a single puff. This is precisely why it’s so desirable for people with certain medical issues (HIV, cancer, Crohns). I can’t help you recognize that; it is what it is.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It doesn’t matter who you’re replying to - this is a forum; if you’d like to have a one on one discussion, that’s what the Direct Messages feature is for.

And yes - should cocaine and meth be legalized, if they aren’t in your system at the time of a drug screen, and if your employer doesn’t ban you from using them off duty, then why shouldn’t people be able to use it? You’re confusing having drugs in your system on duty with employee ethics off duty. Two totally different things.

You’re okay with a firefighter, doctor or police officer, who are responsible for people’s lives, having marijuana in their system? These people cannot even take certain medications off duty, so why would it be okay for them to smoke marijuana off duty? Considering your history of vilifying police officers in this forum, I’d bet if tomorrow, a MA police officer had to use force against someone and had marijuana in his/her system, you’d be calling for their badge.

And yes, again, the effects of marijuana are immediate after a single puff. This is precisely why it’s so desirable for people with certain medical issues (HIV, cancer, Crohns). I can’t help you recognize that; it is what it is.

A) I'm not confusing employee ethics off duty with whats in their system on duty, i'm telling you that having it in your system is not the same as being impaired by the drug.
B) Yes I would be ok with that, and in-fact, I know firefighters who have been high, and drunk during calls (which I don't agree with)
C)I have 0 history of vilifying police officers, I never once was abusive with what I said.
D)Making assumptions... shows how week your point its, and is laughable when you're assumption is wrong
C)It marijuana doesn't effect everyone after a single puff, the fact you can't understand that is telling.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Why stop at pot then? Why not allow all drugs, crack, coke, heroin? Even more money for the state, and definitely more jobs especially for gang members. I'd say go for it.

As to people which may die from overdose - who cares, we will bring more immigrants to replace.
And we should definitely start selling drugs in schools - we need to raise them drug aware, true consumers, which know which drug they prefer from childhood. Imagine how we can scale this business - we can make ALL folks drug addicts from early childhood!!

I can't even think how much money this will bring to the state - and it all that matters these days.
Those physically addictive drugs you mentioned have more in common physiologically with alcohol than with marijuana. So, with your logic we should ban alcohol while we're at it. Not to mention the prevalence of LEGAL and PRESCRIBED opioids leading to addiction and overdose deaths. Nice attempt at sarcasm, though.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:15 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
A) I'm not confusing employee ethics off duty with whats in their system on duty, i'm telling you that having it in your system is not the same as being impaired by the drug.
B) Yes I would be ok with that, and in-fact, I know firefighters who have been high, and drunk during calls (which I don't agree with)
C)I have 0 history of vilifying police officers, I never once was abusive with what I said.
D)Making assumptions... shows how week your point its, and is laughable when you're assumption is wrong
C)It marijuana doesn't effect everyone after a single puff, the fact you can't understand that is telling.
Having it in your system doesn’t mean you’re high as a kite - but until it can be determined whether or not the psychoactive element has been spent, a reasonable person would say they should be treated as such. When it comes to a drug that’s so widely used, some sort of determination needs to be made. That hasn’t entirely been done yet.

If you know of any first responders who have been high or drunk during calls, I certainly hope you reported them. That’s unacceptable and dangerous to the public and their fellow first responders.

I never suggested MJ affects every single person after a single use (I noted that several pages back that it affects everyone differently - go back and read please). But it certainly can and does have immediate effects in small doses on many people. To say otherwise just shows pure ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Those physically addictive drugs you mentioned have more in common physiologically with alcohol than with marijuana. So, with your logic we should ban alcohol while we're at it. Not to mention the prevalence of LEGAL and PRESCRIBED opioids leading to addiction and overdose deaths. Nice attempt at sarcasm, though.
Agreed. People are confusing chemically formulated drugs with a naturally growing plant. There is a huge difference. As stated in another thread, though, meth isn’t nearly as physically addictive as many drugs.

But please, don’t suggest banning alcohol. I enjoy the occasional glass of Hudson bourbon too much.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:04 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
But please, don’t suggest banning alcohol. I enjoy the occasional glass of Hudson bourbon too much.
Heck no.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:18 PM

167 posts, read 175,777 times
The anti-legalization takes in this thread (outside of driving safety concerns) are hysterical, let alone the hypocrisy when it comes to alcohol. The war on drugs really did a number on brainwashing a good chunk of this country into thinking cannabis is an evil drug. Hell, I bought it in my younger days; I remember being mortified when I learned my best friend started smoking weed in college.

The bottom line: weed is easy as hell to get as is. You get the equivalent of a parking ticket if you're caught with a joint. Most cannabis users are like most alcohol users: they know their limits and use it responsibly. I know many successful adults in their 30-50s who smoke and you'd never know it (they don't look like a stereotypical stoner). There is no reason to not legalize it outside of misguided paranoia.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Closed for a Moderator's review. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut