Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,233,377 times

Advertisements

Another invasive species wreaking havoc. Very sad.
https://m.newstimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 05:14 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,384,455 times
https://m.newstimes.com/local/articl...y-13321827.php
Redding will give it to residents for firewood for free. Public Works will even deliver it to the end of their driveways.
....I wish I could grab some of that free firewood

Old 10-21-2018, 05:38 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,529 times
I have 2 gorgeous huge old ash trees in my yard that I have been treating with insecticide in a bid to keep them alive. My uncle planted them in 1958 when he bought the house new. I bought the house 5 years ago and love the trees. Just about every other untreated ash in my neighborhood is completely dead. Mine is hanging on with just a few dead branches. The top is still healthy as the first sign of a sick ash tree is the top canopy dies off.

It is said that 8+ billion ash trees will go extinct in North America from the ash borer. The only way to stop the borers is to treat them with insecticides. They are native from China and have no predators here.

Google street view from 2011 when there were no ash borers in CT yet. 2nd picture is current picture. Notice the completely dead ash in the background at my neighbors.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:55 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
That's nice the town is giving away the logs to residents! Very cool! Guess it's useless at the mills.

I was talking to a tree guy and he was saying there was another kind of disease going around (Not Elm or Ash) and that he's been taking down the trees more and more. I can't remember which!

Old 10-21-2018, 06:19 AM

I saw one of the beatles once - dead on my back stoop. It caught my attention because it was like nothing I had ever seen before. It was the most beautiful jewel-tone green color. It was just a few weeks after it was first confirmed as being in Sherman, CT. I bagged it up and brought it to my Town Hall and they confirmed that is what it was and it then was officially in New Fairfield at that point too. I think it was the summer of 2012 (maybe 2013). It’s been awhile either way.

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-21-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 06:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's nice the town is giving away the logs to residents! Very cool! Guess it's useless at the mills.

I was talking to a tree guy and he was saying there was another kind of disease going around (Not Elm or Ash) and that he's been taking down the trees more and more. I can't remember which!
I know birches have to be treated for something, one of my clients has a tree guy come in a few times a year for his.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I have 2 gorgeous huge old ash trees in my yard that I have been treating with insecticide in a bid to keep them alive. My uncle planted them in 1958 when he bought the house new. I bought the house 5 years ago and love the trees. Just about every other untreated ash in my neighborhood is completely dead. Mine is hanging on with just a few dead branches. The top is still healthy as the first sign of a sick ash tree is the top canopy dies off.

It is said that 8+ billion ash trees will go extinct in North America from the ash borer. The only way to stop the borers is to treat them with insecticides. They are native from China and have no predators here.

Google street view from 2011 when there were no ash borers in CT yet. 2nd picture is current picture. Notice the completely dead ash in the background at my neighbors.

Thanks for posting the pics. I’m not good at identifying trees but I have a few half dead ones in the woods behind my yard. They look exactly like the pictures you posted. I’m sure now that they’re ash trees and are dying because of the ash borer
PS so sorry that it’s happening on your nice tree lined street. The trees that I’m losing are in a wooded area with many other types mixed in so the impact is not as great

Old 10-21-2018, 04:32 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,428,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I know birches have to be treated for something, one of my clients has a tree guy come in a few times a year for his.
your client has a good tree guy - most want to cut everything down. I hope he is successful in saving his.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,056,101 times
Sad to see that globalism is even wreaking havoc on our trees.

With all the cheap crap being imported from China, a few insects here and there make the journey, and our environment is facing the consequences.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:38 PM

833 posts, read 501,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Oak wilt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut