Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:03 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Just go to Modern! Pepe's is good but none of them beat out a good wood fired pepperoni with a cold on draft Counterweight IPA. Regardless all the ones in NH will have waits on weeknights/weekends unless you go during off hours or order take out. So expect to stand for anywhere from 15-45 minutes depending on party size.

This. Unless I'm going early or taking someone who's never been, I'm going to Modern over Pepe's. And if I'm going to Pepe's, I'm going to the Spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:04 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Also, Barstool hit New Haven not to long ago. He even went to East Haven and made a comment about how everybody in this are takes their pizza seriously and nobody is really bad. He hitup Zuppardi's in WH to, another great spot.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/video...a-new-haven-ct

Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
My brother and SIL love Next Door, haven't tried it yet but we also enjoy Bar North Haven. It's probably the closest we can get in Wallingford to NH pizza. Also Bar in New Haven but now I'm getting OT.
Any New Haven-style pizza and relative wait times is not off topic.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Fiction View Post
I've been meaning to try Next Door, I pass it every time I go to Modern.

As for O/P - generally the earlier the better for the lines at Pepe's. I live in NH, so I basically always call and take it to go. It may take a few minutes to get through to place an order, but once I do - the wait time is usually 20-30 mins. Would take out be an option for you? Maybe call en route (not sure how far you are coming from) take it to go and have a picnic in nearby Wooster Square Park?
I always find takeout fine, but the longer it's in that box, but more the crust degrades/steams. For a first time, I feel like dine-in is a must.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 AM

107 posts, read 57,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I always find takeout fine, but the longer it's in that box, but more the crust degrades/steams. For a first time, I feel like dine-in is a must.
I don't disagree - I'm spoiled being that I am a 5 minute drive from all the spots mentioned so the pies don't spend much time in the box. Dining-in is absolutely preferred, especially for a first timer, but the O/P mentioned the wait-time being an issue, which is why I suggested takeout and a picnic in the park around the corner as a potential compromise.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Also, Barstool hit New Haven not to long ago. He even went to East Haven and made a comment about how everybody in this are takes their pizza seriously and nobody is really bad. He hitup Zuppardi's in WH to, another great spot.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/video...a-new-haven-ct
I watched these reviews too. He gave Sally’s a top rating and even called New Haven is the Pizza Capitol of the world. He also went to Bar, Modern and Roseland in Derby. Thought they all were great. Jay

Old 08-28-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I watched these reviews too. He gave Sally’s a top rating and even called New Haven is the Pizza Capitol of the world. He also went to Bar, Modern and Roseland in Derby. Thought they all were great. Jay
Sally's is the best pizza I've personally ever had. Just perfection.

He gave a similar rating to John's on Bleeker in NYC, which I was totally unimpressed by. But pizza is very subjective.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
I will chime in......We tried Pepes to see if it was worth the hype and wait times......it was good for sure.....the best? I dont know about that. Worth the wait? Not to us. I am not a fan of the black char on the bottom at all.We tried Modern and we liked Modern better. We also have a $50.00 gift card sitting at home to Pepes that my wife got in December......and we have not used it still if that gives you a clue. I like the pizza but I cant understand the long wait times.
Off topic slightly but if you are in the area and looking for excellent NH style pizza without the long wait times, Roseland in Derby and Tipsy Tomato in Derby are simply awesome pizza.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 08-28-2019 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut