Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 PM

47 posts, read 122,763 times

Advertisements

Hi...Just wondering if there are any part of New Haven that are ok for families with young children....Or perhaps the border of new haven and something else....there seems to be cheaper home values there...just not so sure about the school districts and the crime...any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,702 times
I would not recommend New Haven or West Haven AS A WHOLE to raise children. However, there are certainly areas that could be considered acceptable. East Haven would be OKAY, not great, but better than the aforementioned towns. New Haven and West Haven are more urban while East Haven is more suburban. Schools across the board for all three towns are relatively poor for CT standards...I'd recommend a visit if at ALL possible. These towns aren't idealistic, so they would need a personal interpretation and visit. I don't know if you are tied to the area, but perhaps you should look into other towns that have better schools and lower crime rates: Milford, Shelton, Seymour, Ansonia, Derby, North Haven, Wallingford, etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 AM

131 posts, read 479,173 times
Check out greatschools.net, you can check out the overall scores, and individual scores for specific schools. I highly recommend Stratford in terms of affordability, quality of life, sense of commumity, convenience in terms of shopping and transportation, and services provided by the town for children.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Mayopac - I truly believe that you generally get what you pay for. The reason those places are cheaper is that they are less desirable. Only you can decide if they are right for you and your family. Many people live and raise their kids in New Haven and have a positive experience. Some do not. The best I can tell you is that look at the school information in the links below and judge for yourself. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I would not recommend New Haven or West Haven AS A WHOLE to raise children. However, there are certainly areas that could be considered acceptable. East Haven would be OKAY, not great, but better than the aforementioned towns. New Haven and West Haven are more urban while East Haven is more suburban. Schools across the board for all three towns are relatively poor for CT standards...I'd recommend a visit if at ALL possible. These towns aren't idealistic, so they would need a personal interpretation and visit. I don't know if you are tied to the area, but perhaps you should look into other towns that have better schools and lower crime rates: Milford, Shelton, Seymour, Ansonia, Derby, North Haven, Wallingford, etc.
Wow. I'm not sure how a 97.6% graduation rate could be considered as poor?????

East Haven Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 97.6%
West Haven Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 91.5%

State Average Grad Rate for Class of 2006 : 92.2%

Ansonia Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 90.8%
Milford Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 92.2%
Shelton Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 93.4%

FWIW, my town was 93.3% for the Class of 2006.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Wow. I'm not sure how a 97.6% graduation rate could be considered as poor?????

East Haven Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 97.6%
West Haven Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 91.5%

State Average Grad Rate for Class of 2006 : 92.2%

Ansonia Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 90.8%
Milford Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 92.2%
Shelton Graduation Rate for Class of 2006: 93.4%

FWIW, my town was 93.3% for the Class of 2006.
Yes, but their scores on the state standardized tests are not that great. East Haven schools generally perform at the state average while West Haven performs below the average. Jay

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 28,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Mayopac - I truly believe that you generally get what you pay for. The reason those places are cheaper is that they are less desirable. Only you can decide if they are right for you and your family. Many people live and raise their kids in New Haven and have a positive experience. Some do not. The best I can tell you is that look at the school information in the links below and judge for yourself. Jay

[URL="http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/der/ssp/dist0607/district.htm"]Strategic School Profiles by District[/URL]

[URL="http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/der/ssp/SCH0405/SCHOOL.HTM"]Strategic School Profiles by School[/URL]
Jay I agree! You do get what you pay for here. If you want a cheaper house (Derby, West Haven, Bridgeport) you will get lesser quality schools! More expensive house (Orange, Woodbridge, Bethany) = very good schools.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM

197 posts, read 397,439 times
What about Hamden?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM

16 posts, read 59,741 times
In New Haven, I strongly recommend the Morris Cove area. Lived here for a longtime and loved it. VERY SAFE, quiet and family-oriented. Westville would also be worth a shot. However, schools anywhere in NH are not too great, I would look into private school if I were you.

East Haven is still decent for families and the schools are OK. ( I'm a product of EH schools myself.) Also lived in West Haven but don't reccommend it, the schools are pretty rough though the West shore area is great for families. Try North Haven or any of the outer suburbs for good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut