Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM

35,002 posts, read 57,095,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There is nothing boring about Ridgefield and it’s far closer to amenities in Norwalk, Stamford and Danbury than places like Trumbull and Monroe.
Trumbull has a major regional mall, a number of stores restaurants and entertainment venues And is located immediately north of the largest city in the state. Though Ridgefield is beautiful and among the top suburbs in the state, Trumbull easily has more to do in and nearby it.

I do not consider Ridgefield to be near Norwalk or Stamford. To get to them you pretty much must drive on some pretty congested local roads before even getting to a highway. Trumbull has Route 25 and Route 8 which connect directly to the Parkway (which also goes through Trumbull) so you can pretty much get anywhere along the coast quickly. Certainly faster than Ridgefield. Again Ridgefield is a beautiful town but I would not say it has more or is near more than Trumbull. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 09:03 AM

712 posts, read 544,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Trumbull has a major regional mall, a number of stores restaurants and entertainment venues And is located immediately north of the largest city in the state. Though Ridgefield is beautiful and among the top suburbs in the state, Trumbull easily has more to do in and nearby it.

I do not consider Ridgefield to be near Norwalk or Stamford. To get to them you pretty much must drive on some pretty congested local roads before even getting to a highway. Trumbull has Route 25 and Route 8 which connect directly to the Parkway (which also goes through Trumbull) so you can pretty much get anywhere along the coast quickly. Certainly faster than Ridgefield. Again Ridgefield is a beautiful town but I would not say it has more or is near more than Trumbull. Jay
You forgot one thing, highways in fairfield co means very little if it is bumper to bumper and snail moving during rush hours.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:00 AM

992 posts, read 605,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
You forgot one thing, highways in fairfield co means very little if it is bumper to bumper and snail moving during rush hours.
People on here over estimate just how bad the highways really are. On here you guys make it seem that 95 and the Merritt are perpetually blocked.

Shockingly it *is* possible to travel at normal highway speeds on these *highways*

Old 10-25-2019, 10:15 AM

21,658 posts, read 31,289,235 times
Quote:

The Danbury Mall is 2 miles from the Ridgefield border. Sure, within town boundaries, Trumbull may have more. But northern Ridgefield is minutes to Danbury and southern Ridgefield is very close to Norwalk (15 min). I didn’t say Ridgefield was close to Stamford, but it’s much closer than Trumbull or Monroe.

Anyway, to type “Ridgefield is booooooring” does a disservice and is not at all truthful.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That was mentioned previously. No matter where the OP ends up, they likely will be dealing with traffic. It’s kind of hard to avoid anywhere in metro New York. Jay

Old 10-25-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The Danbury Mall is 2 miles from the Ridgefield border. Sure, within town boundaries, Trumbull may have more. But northern Ridgefield is minutes to Danbury and southern Ridgefield is very close to Norwalk (15 min). I didn’t say Ridgefield was close to Stamford, but it’s much closer than Trumbull or Monroe.

Anyway, to type “Ridgefield is booooooring” does a disservice and is not at all truthful.
You said Ridgefield was closer to amenities in Stamford. It is 22 miles from Ridgefield to Stamford. It’s 28 miles from Trumbull to there. Though a little further, the travel times are a different story. According to Google the Ridgefield trip takes 38 minutes while the Trumbull trip takes 34 minutes. These differences are negligible at best since you could live closer or further in either town.

I agree though, Ridgefield is not boring. Jay

Old 10-25-2019, 11:24 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
People on here over estimate just how bad the highways really are. On here you guys make it seem that 95 and the Merritt are perpetually blocked.

Shockingly it *is* possible to travel at normal highway speeds on these *highways*
That fella was referring to rush hour congestion though.
Wilton to Stamford is going to avoid the difficult No Man's Land stretch of Merritt through Fairfield and Westport. From Wilton you can backway it over to New Canaan and enter the Merritt there for just a couple of exits to Stamford.
Personally I would never consider Fairfield or even Westport due to the outdated and inadequate lane capacity on the Fairfield County highway system.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:13 PM

712 posts, read 544,680 times
Quote:
You said Ridgefield was closer to amenities in Stamford. It is 22 miles from Ridgefield to Stamford. It’s 28 miles from Trumbull to there. Though a little further, the travel times are a different story. According to Google the Ridgefield trip takes 38 minutes while the Trumbull trip takes 34 minutes. These differences are negligible at best since you could live closer or further in either town.

I agree though, Ridgefield is not boring. Jay
Day dreaming for driving from Trumbull to Stamford on 34 minutes. Probably 1 and half hours to two hours or three hours in rush hours.

It is a lot easier to drive from Queens to Stamford than Trumbull to Stamford. JayCT does not know the real life on the grounds.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 PM

21,658 posts, read 31,289,235 times
Quote:
Day dreaming for driving from Trumbull to Stamford on 34 minutes. Probably 1 and half hours to two hours or three hours in rush hours.

It is a lot easier to drive from Queens to Stamford than Trumbull to Stamford. JayCT does not know the real life on the grounds.
Exactly. Ridgefield to Stamford is very easy via back roads. It is a nightmare from Trumbull.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:42 PM

4,473 posts, read 3,372,922 times
Quote:

IN MY OPINION (and I am entitled to it) once north of the I-95 and Parkway corridor towns it is boring.

The OP is looking for LIVELY town. IN MY OPINION Fairfield (and surrounding area) is lively and Ridgefield (and the surrounding area) is not.

Ridgefield and Bordering Towns Population
Ridgefield 7,645
Redding 9,158
Danbury 85,246 (has a mall)
Bethel 9,549
Wilton 18,062
North Salem NY 5,104
South Salem (or Salem) 934
Bethel 9,549

There is only one city in the Ridgefield area and Danbury is it. Fairfield in and itself has a population that is up near Danbury not to mention what is in the Fairfield area near it.....lively, lively, lively. Sorry but to me Ridgefield and the surrounding area is boring, boring and more boring. But some people like that....I just don't.

Here is the thing about Ridgefield. Go look at a map and see what surrounds it. Ridgefield is narrow from east to west and long from south to north. The southern section where you have the best commute to Stamford is near a bunch of sleepy little towns. So if you move to the northern section you are near Danbury but now you have a further commute.

Fairfield and Bordering Towns Population (or close towns/cities)
Fairfield population 59,404
Bridgeport 146,579
Easton 7,490
Westport population 26,391
Trumbull 36,018 (has a mall)
Norwalk 89,005 (has a mall and SONO....does not border Fairfield but you can be there in 15 minutes from the western side of Fairfield and I would put the OP on the Western side of Fairfield for the better commute)

Just look at the numbers....it's easy to see. There is WAY MORE (lively) to do in the 1-95/Parkway corridor.

This next statement is just common sense. Do you think Ridgefield (pop. 7,645 is going to even have 1/4 the stores and restaurants as Fairfield (pop. 59,404) has?

Last edited by CTartist; 10-25-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut