Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 05:04 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Trumbull anything north of Merritt Parkway should be on your list also you get more money than Fairfield also newer homes in that prince range.

I saw 5 bed 4.5 bath, 4,715sqft 1acre lot for 730,000 home built 1984.

Another one 4bed, 3.5 bath, 3,830sqft, 0.55acre lot for 630,000 the home was built in 1999.

You are 15-20 mins from train station to ride the Metro North to NYC Grand Central in Manhattan or quick visit to Sono, Stamford, Downtown New Haven/Wooster Square. You are 40 mins away from Westchester County and not too far from hiking trails, nice parks in CT.
Trumbull is a great town but I’d be a little cautious about buying a home for more than $700,000 there. That is the very top of the market. Zillow has only 14 homes over $700,000 and most have been on the market a long time. It might be difficult when you go to sell the home in the future. JMHO, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,636,251 times
WOW this is a great question. I am originally from Fairfield, and although I live out-of-state currently, my family still lives there. My 3 brothers actually share a house and live together right on Round Hill Road which is just outside of Fairfield University. I am not sure where you are talking about exactly when you say Fairfield woods, because pretty much any part of Northern Fairfield has a lot of woods, maybe the northeast Fairfield on the Trumbull border? My sister lives there. She and her family live just north of the Merritt Pkwy close to the border of Trumbull. So I am familiar with both areas very well.

I'd say they are both great areas but different. Fairfield University Area is obviously more populated and a lot closer to the downtown area. I honestly love being in an area walkable to downtown so if it was me, I would likely choose the Fairfield University area to live in because it is a lot closer to all the amenities and the beach, but Fairfield woods is also nice as well. The Fairfield Woods area, at least where my sister lives is a lot quieter and fairly rural. It is known as the rural area of the town. One thing just to be aware of is that once you get north of the Merritt pkwy in the northern part of the town, there are quite a few neighborhoods where the roads are NOT paved very well making it a little hard to drive on them.

In general I would say that North Stratified and Fairfield Woods is a little more affordable than the University Area, but keep in mind it very well depends on the neighborhood as well. My sister lives in quite an upscale neighborhood in the woods, and I am honestly not so sure why it is so expensive to live in that neighborhood. Maybe due to the houses. I can tell you her house is about 3,500 sq ft and it is worth around $840K. In contrast, my brothers' house in the University area is smaller around 2000 sq ft and is worth only around $650K. Those are comparing two specific neighborhoods though.

I hope this helps, but it really depends on the atmosphere you are looking for. I did my best to explain the atmosphere in the two different neighborhoods and hope it gives you the info you are looking for. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
WOW this is a great question. I am originally from Fairfield, and although I live out-of-state currently, my family still lives there. My 3 brothers actually share a house and live together right on Round Hill Road which is just outside of Fairfield University. I am not sure where you are talking about exactly when you say Fairfield woods, because pretty much any part of Northern Fairfield has a lot of woods, maybe the northeast Fairfield on the Trumbull border? My sister lives there. She and her family live just north of the Merritt Pkwy close to the border of Trumbull. So I am familiar with both areas very well.

I'd say they are both great areas but different. Fairfield University Area is obviously more populated and a lot closer to the downtown area. I honestly love being in an area walkable to downtown so if it was me, I would likely choose the Fairfield University area to live in because it is a lot closer to all the amenities and the beach, but Fairfield woods is also nice as well. The Fairfield Woods area, at least where my sister lives is a lot quieter and fairly rural. It is known as the rural area of the town. One thing just to be aware of is that once you get north of the Merritt pkwy in the northern part of the town, there are quite a few neighborhoods where the roads are NOT paved very well making it a little hard to drive on them.

In general I would say that North Stratified and Fairfield Woods is a little more affordable than the University Area, but keep in mind it very well depends on the neighborhood as well. My sister lives in quite an upscale neighborhood in the woods, and I am honestly not so sure why it is so expensive to live in that neighborhood. Maybe due to the houses. I can tell you her house is about 3,500 sq ft and it is worth around $840K. In contrast, my brothers' house in the University area is smaller around 2000 sq ft and is worth only around $650K. Those are comparing two specific neighborhoods though.

I hope this helps, but it really depends on the atmosphere you are looking for. I did my best to explain the atmosphere in the two different neighborhoods and hope it gives you the info you are looking for. Please let me know if you have any further questions!
Danny - I’m surprised you don’t know where Fairfield Woods is. It’s the area in the vicinity of Fairfield Woods Middle School and off of Fairfield Woods Road. It is generally bordered on the West by Black Rock Turnpike; on the East by Melville Avenue; on the south by Burroughs Road including the streets off of it; and on the north by the ridge line on the end of the streets off of Fairfield Woods Road and Morehouse Highway.

I’m not sure where your sister lives but Fairfield Woods is very suburban and really doesn’t have much woods left. To the north of Fairfield Woods is Lake Hills which are the areas surrounding Samp Mortar Reservoir And Lake Mohegan. To the east of them is the northern part of Stratfield and North Stratfield. These too are very suburban so I don’t think your sister lives there either. I’m wondering if your sister lives north of Lake Hills and the Merritt Parkway in the vicinity of the H. Smith Richardson Golf Course. That area is called Hoydens Hill. It is very wooded and has homes on larger lots, giving it a more rural feel. Jay

Old 06-22-2020, 12:41 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m wondering if your sister lives north of Lake Hills and the Merritt Parkway in the vicinity of the H. Smith Richardson Golf Course. That area is called Hoydens Hill. It is very wooded and has homes on larger lots, giving it a more rural feel. Jay
Jay, Correct, that is exactly where my sister lives, Hoydens Hill. Sorry I get very confused on names of areas, and it is easy for me to mix them up and mistake some areas for others within the town. Honestly I know all the areas that you are talking about, but just unfamiliar with the actual names. I kind of assumed that Fairfield Woods was Hoydens Hill because that is where the woods and foresty area is, in fact I didn't even know Fairfield Woods was an actual area, and thought the OP was referring to the area where there is a lot of woods. The areas that I am very familiar with the names are: Southport, Downtown/University Area, Jennings Beach, Greenfield Hill, Tunix Hills, and Stratified. When talking about the northern area like Hoydens Hill and north of the Merritt, I always referred to that area as the area near the Hemlock Reservoir.

Sorry, I just was never that familiar with the different schools in Fairfield, because my family was always very into private schools and we never paid much attention to the specific public schools. All we really knew was the level of the town school district in general. Definitely have driven by many of the schools but really never remember the names.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:06 AM

201 posts, read 380,886 times
We live in Lake Hills and LOVE it! We bought back in 2010 and just recently renovated the whole house and added on. Everyone asked why we didn't just move, but we love our neighbors and the area so we didn't want to leave. We have an incoming 3rd grader and Kindergartener at NSS. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 6,210 times
thanks everyone!

Old 07-20-2020, 03:27 PM

222 posts, read 413,264 times
Hello. Depends on what kind of factors you are looking at...charming neighborhoods, people, businesses...

Though it may be subtle to some, there definitely *is* a difference in these areas. I dont know which area you meant by Fairfield Woods, because as pointed out it is a middle school, but the other two are a bit different. Osborne Hill is a bit more "upscale" but with that comes a cooler attitude and possibly competitiveness (but not as much as the schools that feed Ludlowe), Stratfield / North Stratfield is an older area (though some of Osborn Hill houses are old for sure) but a more fun, neighborly vibe from what I can tell. Lots of cool moms from that area.

It just depends what you want. The Sherman area is fun due to the beach but that's a whole thing -and a mix of tiny old houses and McMansions (all on .25 acre lots :-)

Old 07-20-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post
Hello. Depends on what kind of factors you are looking at...charming neighborhoods, people, businesses...

Though it may be subtle to some, there definitely *is* a difference in these areas. I dont know which area you meant by Fairfield Woods, because as pointed out it is a middle school, but the other two are a bit different. Osborne Hill is a bit more "upscale" but with that comes a cooler attitude and possibly competitiveness (but not as much as the schools that feed Ludlowe), Stratfield / North Stratfield is an older area (though some of Osborn Hill houses are old for sure) but a more fun, neighborly vibe from what I can tell. Lots of cool moms from that area.

It just depends what you want. The Sherman area is fun due to the beach but that's a whole thing -and a mix of tiny old houses and McMansions (all on .25 acre lots :-)
Fairfield Woods is a very well known part of town. It’s not just a middle school. There is a major road named Fairfield Woods Road that runs through it and a large library branch named for it. I’ve described the general area of it. Basically it is east of Black Rock Turnpike to Melville Avenue and north of Burroughs Road to the natural ridgeline north of the streets off of Fairfield Woods Road. Jay

Old 07-21-2020, 05:56 AM

6,885 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield Woods is a very well known part of town. It’s not just a middle school. There is a major road named Fairfield Woods Road that runs through it and a large library branch named for it. I’ve described the general area of it. Basically it is east of Black Rock Turnpike to Melville Avenue and north of Burroughs Road to the natural ridgeline north of the streets off of Fairfield Woods Road. Jay
Dyed in the wool generational Blue Blooders will know that but many in town may not. I wouldn't be surprised. Its so large, vast, and dense in parts. I know folks there who don't know this part or have never been to that part. They do their groceries in Westport even because the store is minutes away. Its not uncommon, that part of the State is full of transient personnel.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Dyed in the wool generational Blue Blooders will know that but many in town may not. I wouldn't be surprised. Its so large, vast, and dense in parts. I know folks there who don't know this part or have never been to that part. They do their groceries in Westport even because the store is minutes away. Its not uncommon, that part of the State is full of transient personnel.
I understand there may be some people in town that do not know where Fairfield Woods is, but that should not be the case for anyone with any knowledge of the town. As I said you have a major road, middle school and library with that name. Even one of the shopping centers on Black Rock Turnpike is named Fairfield Woods Plaza. They know Stratfield. They know Lake Hills. They know Tunxis Hill. Wouldn’t you think most people would know it? It’s right in between these neighborhoods. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut