Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 06:06 AM

8 posts, read 6,197 times

Advertisements

We are from NYC looking to buy a house in Fairfield. We have 3 elementary aged children, and have a budget of ~$900k-$1.1MM. We would ideally like a newer house -- mostly or completely updated.

We first started looking in the Fairfield University area and the Osborn school. But have opened up our search to the Fairfield Woods and North Stratfield areas as well.

It is easy to see the difference in the house and yard sizes and price. But how would you describe the difference in character and vibe in these areas.

I work from home so commuting to NYC is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:09 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
Typically the closer to the beach the more costly.
You can also find some beautiful homes in Greenfield Hill, Southport and even the Beach area south of the Post Rd with your budget.

The beach area is your best bet for retaining value.
The vibe can change slightly from each street......that's really just a mash up of what unique personalities you may find.

If flood insurance is a concern in the beach area many if not all homes immediately West on South Pine Creek are elevated enough to not require it.

Fairfield is a great town.....the market is very competitive right now as I'm sure you are finding out.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:55 AM

980 posts, read 597,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazee View Post
We are from NYC looking to buy a house in Fairfield. We have 3 elementary aged children, and have a budget of ~$900k-$1.1MM. We would ideally like a newer house -- mostly or completely updated.

We first started looking in the Fairfield University area and the Osborn school. But have opened up our search to the Fairfield Woods and North Stratfield areas as well.

It is easy to see the difference in the house and yard sizes and price. But how would you describe the difference in character and vibe in these areas.

I work from home so commuting to NYC is not an issue.
Two of the three districts you mentioned are elementary schools (OHS & North Stratfield). The other, Fairfield Woods, is a middle school (that both OHS and NS now go to). Addtionally Jennings and Holland Hill go to woods. I'll assume you're looking at the three elementary school districts of OHS, NS, and Jennings because Jennings is essentially on the middle school campus.

While all 3 neighborhoods are very middle of the pack in terms of price range and housing selection for Fairfield the schools perform just as well as Mill Hill (Southport) or Burr (Greenfield Hills).

Beach access is important to consider - it's significantly easier to get to the beaches from the lower University Area than it is from either of your other two neighborhoods (although Lake Mohegan is a freshwater beach that can make up for that).

Additionally the University area is close to Fairfield U while North Stratfield is close to Sacred Heart. Do you want to be near or further from a college campus?

Lastly, consider ambient noise and amount of space you'll get. Do you want to be near the southern University area hearing the hum of I 95 and right near the bustling downtown? (traffic has picked up a lot recently, almost pre corona levels). Lot sizes here are usually a quarter acre (although there is diversity).
Meanwhile in some parts of Jennings you can get much more for you money and it's much quieter (but you're further from everything but the woods)

Old 06-20-2020, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 6,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Two of the three districts you mentioned are elementary schools (OHS & North Stratfield). The other, Fairfield Woods, is a middle school (that both OHS and NS now go to). Addtionally Jennings and Holland Hill go to woods. I'll assume you're looking at the three elementary school districts of OHS, NS, and Jennings because Jennings is essentially on the middle school campus.

While all 3 neighborhoods are very middle of the pack in terms of price range and housing selection for Fairfield the schools perform just as well as Mill Hill (Southport) or Burr (Greenfield Hills).

Beach access is important to consider - it's significantly easier to get to the beaches from the lower University Area than it is from either of your other two neighborhoods (although Lake Mohegan is a freshwater beach that can make up for that).

Additionally the University area is close to Fairfield U while North Stratfield is close to Sacred Heart. Do you want to be near or further from a college campus?

Lastly, consider ambient noise and amount of space you'll get. Do you want to be near the southern University area hearing the hum of I 95 and right near the bustling downtown? (traffic has picked up a lot recently, almost pre corona levels). Lot sizes here are usually a quarter acre (although there is diversity).
Meanwhile in some parts of Jennings you can get much more for you money and it's much quieter (but you're further from everything but the woods)
Right so as of now we are narrowing our list to oHs and Jennings but have heard that Jennings might disappear.

We have heard there are more young families in the university area.

We are trying to look for houses that are close (ideally walkable) to the elementary schools.

What are the pluses and minuses of being near the university? Seems they have some amenities the kids can take advantage of...

What is your preference?

Old 06-20-2020, 09:13 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Fairfield is a great town. All of the schools are great so I wouldn’t worry as much about the school your kids would go to. The University neighborhood is popular because it is closer to Fairfield Center, the train station and the beach. Because of its location though you will pay a premium to live there.

I would also be careful on what listings are called the University neighborhood. I’ve seen listings as far east as Black Rock Turnpike called the University area. My family has lived in that area for more than 100 years and it was NEVER called that until unscrupulous agents started calling it that to sell houses. IMHO, Nothing east of Crestwood/Figlar should be called University area.

Fairfield Woods and North Stratfield are also beautiful areas. Because they are further from the Center and the beach, they are more affordable. I really like Fairfield Woods. It has s close to the great Black Rock Turnpike shopping district which I like better than the Center. I find it easier to use since parking is easily available there usually right in front of the store or restaurant. In the center you usually have to park further away and walk to the place you want. You also have some nice amenities like it’s own library and Lake Mohegan.

Another area you might want to consider is Lake Hills. It is just north of Fairfield Woods, in former water reservoir land that was developed back in the 50’s. What’s nice about a Lake Hills is that you belong to the Lake Hills Association which gives you access to swimming on a private lake called Samp Motar Reservoir. The association has social events so it’s a good way to meet people. In recent years developers have been buying up the smaller older homes, tearing them down and building beautiful modern homes in their place. As I have said on the forum before I know one of these developers. I will Direct Message you their name. I would suggest you consider it. Jay

Old 06-20-2020, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,723 times
My wife and I recently purchased in Lake Hills and had a developer completely remodel the house (the remodel took almost a year but you can find houses that have already or are nearing completion, we did ours from scratch).

We have only been in for a couple of months but if you have particular questions, feel free to message me.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:46 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
If you don’t have to commute to NYC, you may also want to consider going north and east where your money will go much further. Even just a town or 2 away, unless you’re very set on Fairfield.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:07 PM

980 posts, read 597,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield is a great town. All of the schools are great so I wouldn’t worry as much about the school your kids would go to. The University neighborhood is popular because it is closer to Fairfield Center, the train station and the beach. Because of its location though you will pay a premium to live there.

I would also be careful on what listings are called the University neighborhood. I’ve seen listings as far east as Black Rock Turnpike called the University area. My family has lived in that area for more than 100 years and it was NEVER called that until unscrupulous agents started calling it that to sell houses. IMHO, Nothing east of Crestwood/Figlar should be called University area.

Fairfield Woods and North Stratfield are also beautiful areas. Because they are further from the Center and the beach, they are more affordable. I really like Fairfield Woods. It has s close to the great Black Rock Turnpike shopping district which I like better than the Center. I find it easier to use since parking is easily available there usually right in front of the store or restaurant. In the center you usually have to park further away and walk to the place you want. You also have some nice amenities like it’s own library and Lake Mohegan.

Another area you might want to consider is Lake Hills. It is just north of Fairfield Woods, in former water reservoir land that was developed back in the 50’s. What’s nice about a Lake Hills is that you belong to the Lake Hills Association which gives you access to swimming on a private lake called Samp Motar Reservoir. The association has social events so it’s a good way to meet people. In recent years developers have been buying up the smaller older homes, tearing them down and building beautiful modern homes in their place. As I have said on the forum before I know one of these developers. I will Direct Message you their name. I would suggest you consider it. Jay
Funny how you agree on Crestwood/ Figlar! OP this is important as these streets are the eastern edge of the OHS district.

Also Jay, you like BRT more than Fairfield Center??

Old 06-21-2020, 08:36 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Trumbull anything north of Merritt Parkway should be on your list also you get more money than Fairfield also newer homes in that prince range.

I saw 5 bed 4.5 bath, 4,715sqft 1acre lot for 730,000 home built 1984.

Another one 4bed, 3.5 bath, 3,830sqft, 0.55acre lot for 630,000 the home was built in 1999.

You are 15-20 mins from train station to ride the Metro North to NYC Grand Central in Manhattan or quick visit to Sono, Stamford, Downtown New Haven/Wooster Square. You are 40 mins away from Westchester County and not too far from hiking trails, nice parks in CT.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:40 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
These areas are way nicer than the University and others, if they're even still available.
Some cosmetics but totally worth it for the locations

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-65755?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-92105?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-87879?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-11940?view=qv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut