Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 27,709 times

Advertisements

Hi! Our family is here for first time on spring break to pick a town to move to this July/August. Husband work split between Mystic (3 days) & Glastonbury (2). Where should we check out? Open to coastal & inland. Schools, friendly community & walkability important. I have not seen many sidewalks in East Lyme & coming from flat IL w/ asthma I’m worried I wouldn’t be able to walk anymore due to how hilly it is. Headed to Essex, Haddam, Killingworth today. Budget approx $800k. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:09 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Essex has a nice walkable center and fits your budget. Haddam and Killingworth are poor choices if you want flat and walkable. They are rural towns.

I'd look at Guilford, Madison, and Old Saybrook. They all have walkable centers, excellent schools, and a good community feel. Chester also has a very nice walkable center but is a bit hilly.

Coastal East Lyme is pretty walkable, especially Niantic section. Wondering where you are that you don't see sidewalks? East Lyme seems like it would be a good choice too.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:39 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,275 times
My recommendations would be Essex, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, East Lyme. Madison and Guilford would be a longer commute but they are nice towns to live in.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:24 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Old Saybrook, Old Lyme and East Lyme.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:20 PM

417 posts, read 600,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Old Saybrook, Old Lyme and East Lyme.
This + Madison & Guilford if you're ok with the extra 10-20 minute commute to Mystic/Glastonbury. The Niantic area of East Lyme may be more in line with what you are looking for.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Choices abound on the eastern CT shorline. It beckons you. New England summers right out of central casting. I mean come on, you kidding! It's like in baseball when you have too many starting pitchers. We should all be so lucky to have those problems. Throw a dart at a map. Flip a coin. You can't go wrong if you tried.

Enjoy

Old 03-23-2021, 09:47 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
The problem is the area between Glastonbury and Mystic is fairly rural in character so finding a town with a lot of sidewalks is going to be difficult. To get that you need a larger more densely developed community and that just does not really exist in that area.

I would not look at any of the towns you mention. None of them are convenient to either Mystic or Glastonbury which are about 45 miles apart. The best place to look for a commute to both Glastonbury and Mystic would be along the Route 2/11 corridor. I would look at Colchester which is a beautiful small town. It has a cute town green with shops and restaurants. To be a bit closer to Mystic, you could look at Salem but that has no walkable areas that I know of. Good luck, Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 03-24-2021 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 07:46 PM

980 posts, read 598,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem is the area between Glastonbury and Mystic is fairly rural in character so finding a town with a lot of sidewalks is going to be difficult. To get that you need a larger more densely developed community and that just does not really exist in that area.

I would not look at any of the towns you mention. None of them are convenient to either Mystic or Glastonbury which are about 45 miles apart. The best place to look for a commute to both Glastonbury and Mystic would be along the Route 2/11 corridor. I would look at Colchester which is a beautiful small town. It has a cute town green with shops and restaurants. To be a bit closer to Mystic, you could look at Salem but that has no walkable areas that I know of. Good luck, ?jay
I agree with Jay that there shouldn't be suggestions west of the river. If you want coastline then I say East Lyme, Waterford, or the Mystic area itself. If not live on route 2 as he mentioned.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:12 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I agree with Jay that there shouldn't be suggestions west of the river. If you want coastline then I say East Lyme, Waterford, or the Mystic area itself. If not live on route 2 as he mentioned.
East Lyme is a great town but it is about 38 miles from Glastonbury and it’s not a direct drive. That would mean close to an hour commute. I wouldn’t want to do that even two days a week. That of course is the OP’s choice. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut