Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:50 AM

847 posts, read 510,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I didn't realize you were in Guilford. I thought you were a lot further east on the coastline.
I live on the south side of North Madison, but I'm in Guilford all the time. Rereading my post, it looks like I'm saying I live in Guilford. I'm close to the Killingworth line. I have a little over 1.5 acres. Of that, about 1 acre is all woods. If I bushwack down the hill through the woods, I come to a brook that leads into the Hammonasett River a few hundred yards down a trail. People fish all the time on the river by my street and there are land trust trails all over around it. There are plenty of houses on both the Madison and Killingworth side that have have access to the brook or the river.

There are a few houses on my street or a side street near me that come pretty close to the OPs requirements. From the Killingworth side, there are definitely a few more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 09:20 AM

21,773 posts, read 28,124,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
North Guilford and North Madison might be worth a look. Guilford has a natural food store and minimal chain stores. Madison has none. Guilford in particular is very rural up by the Durham border. I'm on 1.5 acres and have a stream almost in my backyard. I think there are some back lots around that have 3 acres or more.
North Guilford/Madison immediately came to mind too. Killingworth too. There’s a Fresh Market in Guilford.

Chester/Deep River/East Haddam area too.

Agree if on Litchfield end, Woodbury makes sense.

I’d also consider Bethany. Rural, no chains, but near lots of conveniences and charming centers (Westville, Milford) if you need them.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:03 AM

31 posts, read 25,338 times
Default Thank You! PS. Dogs & Breezes

Wow - thank you all so very much. I'm enthused! I'm going to attach my 2nd monitor so I can look in more detail at all these recommended spots. So happy to hear there are this many towns without too much sprawl and box chains around. I'm originally from England so naturally drawn to a sort of "village" type experience. The ability to drive to the beach on a hot summer's day would be a dream come true.

Speaking of... just two more questions (although I'm sure there will be more after further research)...

1. Are there any dog-friendly beaches or particularly dog-friendly places?
2. Do you get some nice ocean breezes at the beach, or is it super hot and humid? (at present I am on my deck with a fan blowing full speed at me to keep bugs and humidity at bay!).

Very much appreciate all of your help everyone!

Old 05-31-2022, 10:11 AM

31 posts, read 25,338 times
Thank you for going to this much trouble, CTartist. Great recommendation re: Durham County Fair and I'm now devouring the horse/farm properties.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:27 AM

21,773 posts, read 28,124,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Wow - thank you all so very much. I'm enthused! I'm going to attach my 2nd monitor so I can look in more detail at all these recommended spots. So happy to hear there are this many towns without too much sprawl and box chains around. I'm originally from England so naturally drawn to a sort of "village" type experience. The ability to drive to the beach on a hot summer's day would be a dream come true.

Speaking of... just two more questions (although I'm sure there will be more after further research)...

1. Are there any dog-friendly beaches or particularly dog-friendly places?
2. Do you get some nice ocean breezes at the beach, or is it super hot and humid? (at present I am on my deck with a fan blowing full speed at me to keep bugs and humidity at bay!).

Very much appreciate all of your help everyone!
Almost all public beaches prohibit dogs, but you’d be fine in the off season. There’s also “secret” spots for dogs in many towns. I know a few here in Milford where dog owners don’t get hassled at all. Lower key spots.

The sound is very cool this time of year. In fact during last week’s heatwave, it was 15 degrees cooler at my house in Milford than my relative’s in Danbury. It was 68 here by the water and 93 up there. It got quite foggy too.

Once the water warms up in July, then it gets hot. There’s more wind on the sound than inland so that can certainly help, but it depends on the day.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:35 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,632,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
North Guilford and North Madison might be worth a look. Guilford has a natural food store and minimal chain stores. Madison has none. Guilford in particular is very rural up by the Durham border. I'm on 1.5 acres and have a stream almost in my backyard. I think there are some back lots around that have 3 acres or more.
I agree these are towns that fit the description, but I don't think 3+ acres with a stream/pond/lake and a house will be under $650k in this market. Maybe if the house is in really rough shape. Dropping the requirement for water on the actual property would help... there are plenty of places with water nearby but not within the boundaries, and I think that would drop the price somewhat.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:09 PM

847 posts, read 510,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I agree these are towns that fit the description, but I don't think 3+ acres with a stream/pond/lake and a house will be under $650k in this market. Maybe if the house is in really rough shape. Dropping the requirement for water on the actual property would help... there are plenty of places with water nearby but not within the boundaries, and I think that would drop the price somewhat.
Yeah, the whole package will be hard. If OP really wants 3+ acres on water with a natural store, it's going to be hard. Here a property for $740 that checks most of the boxes. It not a lake or stream, but it's very close to both.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M47598-51521

Old 05-31-2022, 03:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
The towns that have already been mentioned, down along the coast are like dreams come true if you could find a place there. One town that has already been mentioned, not on the coast, is Canton and it might be worth a look. It's woodsy and is located on the Farmington River for recreation (tubing, kayaking) and one section called Collinsville has been rehabbed so that it's artsy and has pubs, an antiques mall, a farmers market on the weekend, and they plan on doing more with cleaning up old factories and repurposing them. It's hilly terrain and out to the west of it are the really woodsy and rural (somewhat remote) towns like Harwinton and New Hartford. You get access to LOTS of stuff but it's not in the actual town part of town--it's all located along one very busy road. I mean from Whole Foods to Best Buy to Subaru to CVS, to Marshalls to Fresh Market to all sorts of restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

Houses are probably cheaper in Canton because it's not on or especially close to a beach. It's a cute old fashioned town, very pleasant. Here's the Collinsville area of Canton: https://www.ctvisit.com/listings/visit-collinsville

Old 05-31-2022, 03:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,978,788 times
Canton fits the bill on many items, but doesn't seem like what the OP would want as Route 44 is all strip malls and chain stores and has a ton of traffic.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:48 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,649,893 times
OP, I am a little confused. Do you prefer the coast or inland?

If you prefer the coast, I'd look at either Guilford or Stonington. You can try Northern Fairfield around Hoydens Hill Area, but I believe it will be beyond your budget. You can look at Essex, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, or East Lyme as well.

If you want to be further inland, I highly recommend Litchfield County. Litchfield Proper as well as Barkhamsted and Hartland might be great options for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut