Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 12:30 PM

31 posts, read 25,383 times

Advertisements

Thanks Nico. A water source on the property is a biggie for us (for many reaons including raising animals, growing our own food, etc.) so it's good to get a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Yeah, the whole package will be hard. If OP really wants 3+ acres on water with a natural store, it's going to be hard. Here a property for $740 that checks most of the boxes. It not a lake or stream, but it's very close to both.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M47598-51521
Thanks for finding that! It's becoming clear that going further from the coast is what I will need to do. Although I've found several places in Killingworth that could fit the bill...

Old 06-01-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The towns that have already been mentioned, down along the coast are like dreams come true if you could find a place there. One town that has already been mentioned, not on the coast, is Canton and it might be worth a look. It's woodsy and is located on the Farmington River for recreation (tubing, kayaking) and one section called Collinsville has been rehabbed so that it's artsy and has pubs, an antiques mall, a farmers market on the weekend, and they plan on doing more with cleaning up old factories and repurposing them. It's hilly terrain and out to the west of it are the really woodsy and rural (somewhat remote) towns like Harwinton and New Hartford. You get access to LOTS of stuff but it's not in the actual town part of town--it's all located along one very busy road. I mean from Whole Foods to Best Buy to Subaru to CVS, to Marshalls to Fresh Market to all sorts of restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

Houses are probably cheaper in Canton because it's not on or especially close to a beach. It's a cute old fashioned town, very pleasant. Here's the Collinsville area of Canton: https://www.ctvisit.com/listings/visit-collinsville
Wow - most of that sounds perfect - I will def. check it out. Farmer's Markets, pubs, arts, and genuine old-fashioned (if I may read into it) values - love! Not sure about along a busy road but I will have a look. Thanks so much!

Old 06-01-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
OP, I am a little confused. Do you prefer the coast or inland?

If you prefer the coast, I'd look at either Guilford or Stonington. You can try Northern Fairfield around Hoydens Hill Area, but I believe it will be beyond your budget. You can look at Essex, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, or East Lyme as well.

If you want to be further inland, I highly recommend Litchfield County. Litchfield Proper as well as Barkhamsted and Hartland might be great options for you.
If I could have everything I wanted (!) it would be near the ocean with >2 acres, but it is becoming clear that, if lucky, I might get 1 acre within my price range.

To be honest, at this point, I'm open to and exploring both options and just wanted to narrow it down to a few spots to come and visit.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:47 PM

Like this one - I didn't look closely yet but it's in East Lyme with just over 3 acres. Close to the ocean. Cute village. $439k. Could be something very wrong with it but this sort of thing seems viable.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943704221

Old 06-01-2022, 01:51 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,659,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Like this one - I didn't look closely yet but it's in East Lyme with just over 3 acres. Close to the ocean. Cute village. $439k. Could be something very wrong with it but this sort of thing seems viable.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943704221
East Lyme is a great town and that appears to be fairly average for East Lyme, especially since it's a little further north of I-95.

OP, just a word of caution, I don't think it is very smart to be posting the exact houses that you're looking at here on the forum. Anybody can see this, even Non-Members. Maybe I'm getting a little too over the top, but I have seen others do it as well, and it's not a very smart idea in my opinion. Just trying to protect privacy and security.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:12 PM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The towns that have already been mentioned, down along the coast are like dreams come true if you could find a place there. One town that has already been mentioned, not on the coast, is Canton and it might be worth a look. It's woodsy and is located on the Farmington River for recreation (tubing, kayaking) and one section called Collinsville has been rehabbed so that it's artsy and has pubs, an antiques mall, a farmers market on the weekend, and they plan on doing more with cleaning up old factories and repurposing them. It's hilly terrain and out to the west of it are the really woodsy and rural (somewhat remote) towns like Harwinton and New Hartford. You get access to LOTS of stuff but it's not in the actual town part of town--it's all located along one very busy road. I mean from Whole Foods to Best Buy to Subaru to CVS, to Marshalls to Fresh Market to all sorts of restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

Houses are probably cheaper in Canton because it's not on or especially close to a beach. It's a cute old fashioned town, very pleasant. Here's the Collinsville area of Canton: https://www.ctvisit.com/listings/visit-collinsville
I had mentioned Canton in my reply along with Harwinton, Barkhamsted, Burlington and New Hartford in my recommendation of the Farmington River Valley. The Farmington River Valley is stunning and a great area that might be the right balance between suburb and farm town that the OP is looking for. Jay

Old 06-01-2022, 03:19 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Wow - most of that sounds perfect - I will def. check it out. Farmer's Markets, pubs, arts, and genuine old-fashioned (if I may read into it) values - love! Not sure about along a busy road but I will have a look. Thanks so much!
Guilford fits that bill perfectly plus sound access.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:22 PM

6,950 posts, read 3,780,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
East Lyme is a great town and that appears to be fairly average for East Lyme, especially since it's a little further north of I-95.

OP, just a word of caution, I don't think it is very smart to be posting the exact houses that you're looking at here on the forum. Anybody can see this, even Non-Members. Maybe I'm getting a little too over the top, but I have seen others do it as well, and it's not a very smart idea in my opinion. Just trying to protect privacy and security.
It's on Realtor.com, anyone can look at it

Old 06-01-2022, 08:47 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,659,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
It's on Realtor.com, anyone can look at it
Yes for sure, but, it's best not to say that you are considering buying that house, if you understand. Yes, anyone can look at the house itself, but when the OP says he's thinking of checking it out and buying it, that is what's not smart.

Like you can search for any house on realtor.com even if its off market, but you would never say publicly that you own the house or that house is where you live, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut