Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 01:32 PM

6,920 posts, read 3,754,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Take me off that list!! I mean it! Or I'm going to have to dig you up and beat you lol

I thought you were looking elsewhere too
Dig me up? do I look like I'm in Orlando?
Are you a fast pass lane holder in Orlando? are you looking at DL Horton's latest new construction down there put together by workers fresh off the buses and planes from the TX border into everyone's now most beloved Florida.
Good luck finding charming turn of the century Victorians outside CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 01:35 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course things change. That’s normal. You live in a small former mill town that is somewhat isolated and has seen better days. It very different from other parts of the state. You really need to get out of that town so you have a better sense of our states real economy instead of the very narrow view you get today.

I also again disagree with your minimizing defense contracts. Our state has a long and rich history of defense production. It’s an important and integral part of our country’s economy, not only our states. Saying it “props up” our GDP is ludicrous. Does the tech industry “prop up” California’s economy? Does the auto industry “prop up” Michigan’s? No, they are just one part of a wide diverse economy we have developed. I’d say it’s enviable if anything.

Also note that defense contractors like Pratt & Whitney and Sikorsky serve private clients as well. In fact Pratt is one of the world’s largest, if not the largest commercial jet engine manufacturer in the world.

Finally I disagree with your statement that “there’s plenty of room” for development. Connecticut has lost a lot of its agricultural businesses. We can’t afford to lose more. Developing the more rural counties you mention would put further pressure on developing what little open land we have left. That would destroy what little rural character we have left here. Is that what you really want? I don’t. Jay
Agreed.

Their town doesn't represent what's happening in many other parts of the state. My town has no shortage of supermarkets in the area. I can't see any more being built as there's nowhere left to build. There's 2 Stop & Shops, a Whole Foods, a Big Y (new), a ShopRite (new), G Mart (new - Asian supermarket), an independent IGA, and Aldi in Milford alone. Plus groceries at Target, Walmart, Dollar General. Then, another ShopRite and Trader Joe's in Orange. And several others in other neighboring towns.

And there's very little room to develop in this area. That's why most projects around town, whether residential or commercial, are re-use or teardowns.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:58 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Dig me up? do I look like I'm in Orlando?
Are you a fast pass lane holder in Orlando? are you looking at DL Horton's latest new construction down there put together by workers fresh off the buses and planes from the TX border into everyone's now most beloved Florida.
Good luck finding charming turn of the century Victorians outside CT
Not FL, though I have a couple of friends that have moved down in the last 10 years and they love sending me beach pictures when we get snow.

I'd settle for a rustic log cabin But not in the northeast

Old 11-16-2022, 06:49 PM

6,920 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Not FL, though I have a couple of friends that have moved down in the last 10 years and they love sending me beach pictures when we get snow.

I'd settle for a rustic log cabin But not in the northeast
Me too for WY and MT, that is until I read about all the savage bears on the loose terrorizing CT in the bears thread. That’s off the table now no way I’m getting mauled and eaten by a grizzly out there. Forget it. The only worse fate is The Villages near Orlando.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:13 PM

192 posts, read 94,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
If I wanted to spend a few months in Florida every year I'd rent, not buy. If I wanted to lower my taxes I'd move to Delaware (3 hours from the Mario Cuomo bridge.) My home there in a private gated community along the ocean and the property taxes are less than $1800 a year. There is also no sales tax on anything. Connecticut is beautiful by pricey.
I have business partners in Monmouth Count, New Jersey. It NEVER takes less than three hours to drive there from Milford. I drove into Manhattan this past Sunday for dinner. Two hours in. You're crazy.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:53 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course things change. That’s normal. You live in a small former mill town that is somewhat isolated and has seen better days. It very different from other parts of the state. You really need to get out of that town so you have a better sense of our states real economy instead of the very narrow view you get today.

I also again disagree with your minimizing defense contracts. Our state has a long and rich history of defense production. It’s an important and integral part of our country’s economy, not only our states. Saying it “props up” our GDP is ludicrous. Does the tech industry “prop up” California’s economy? Does the auto industry “prop up” Michigan’s? No, they are just one part of a wide diverse economy we have developed. I’d say it’s enviable if anything.

Also note that defense contractors like Pratt & Whitney and Sikorsky serve private clients as well. In fact Pratt is one of the world’s largest, if not the largest commercial jet engine manufacturer in the world.

Finally I disagree with your statement that “there’s plenty of room” for development. Connecticut has lost a lot of its agricultural businesses. We can’t afford to lose more. Developing the more rural counties you mention would put further pressure on developing what little open land we have left. That would destroy what little rural character we have left here. Is that what you really want? I don’t. Jay
I do get out. I get out all the time and I see people getting out. Of course the tech industry props up California and yes the auto industry props up Michigan. Have you been or dealt with people from either place? Read Bowling Alone and look at how the bay area developed vs 128. It's not nearly as diverse as what you think. Try living in the bay area without being in IT and see how you cannot afford as much. As for autos um yeah all the parts suppliers.

https://michiganadvance.com/2022/06/...auto-industry/
"Despite having more jobs outside of factories, Michigan remains heavily dependent on the auto industry and durable goods manufacturing in general. The highly cyclical auto industry, while shrinking, is still big enough to push Michigan into deep recessions when the national economy stumbles. "

Next thing you'll say is Florida doesn't depend on tourism and Disney. There's no oil production as it stops at the panhandle.

I see plenty of open space all around quiet corner. As for farms they are doing fine I see them advertise, no one is asking they shut down. I have a meat packing place around the corner and plenty of farms on a wide range by all means we all support them. If CT needs more housing and FFC doesn't want more housing by all means build here. Go ahead we could easily accommodate hundreds of thousands of more people here.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/3...-manufacturers
"As previously mentioned, CFM and GE control the largest market share of commercial aircraft engine manufacturers at 55%. Of this, CFM accounts for about 39%, which makes it the largest commercial aircraft engine manufacturer in the world. "

https://www.sps-aviation.com/story/?...e-World-Today#

"As per the report released by global business data platform “Statista” in May 2021, CFM International had 39 per cent market share of the commercial aircraft engines in 2020; Pratt & Whitney (35 per cent); GE Aviation (14 per cent) and Rolls-Royce (12 per cent). It is interesting to look at the product range and size of some of the top engine manufacturers."

Large yes but not the largest. If GE didn't own CFM Pratt would look much larger. Pratt is owned by Ratheon now. If you want to argue about Engine Alliance go ahead.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:22 PM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I do get out. I get out all the time and I see people getting out. Of course the tech industry props up California and yes the auto industry props up Michigan. Have you been or dealt with people from either place? Read Bowling Alone and look at how the bay area developed vs 128. It's not nearly as diverse as what you think. Try living in the bay area without being in IT and see how you cannot afford as much. As for autos um yeah all the parts suppliers.

https://michiganadvance.com/2022/06/...auto-industry/
"Despite having more jobs outside of factories, Michigan remains heavily dependent on the auto industry and durable goods manufacturing in general. The highly cyclical auto industry, while shrinking, is still big enough to push Michigan into deep recessions when the national economy stumbles. "

Next thing you'll say is Florida doesn't depend on tourism and Disney. There's no oil production as it stops at the panhandle.

I see plenty of open space all around quiet corner. As for farms they are doing fine I see them advertise, no one is asking they shut down. I have a meat packing place around the corner and plenty of farms on a wide range by all means we all support them. If CT needs more housing and FFC doesn't want more housing by all means build here. Go ahead we could easily accommodate hundreds of thousands of more people here.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/3...-manufacturers
"As previously mentioned, CFM and GE control the largest market share of commercial aircraft engine manufacturers at 55%. Of this, CFM accounts for about 39%, which makes it the largest commercial aircraft engine manufacturer in the world. "

https://www.sps-aviation.com/story/?...e-World-Today#

"As per the report released by global business data platform “Statista” in May 2021, CFM International had 39 per cent market share of the commercial aircraft engines in 2020; Pratt & Whitney (35 per cent); GE Aviation (14 per cent) and Rolls-Royce (12 per cent). It is interesting to look at the product range and size of some of the top engine manufacturers."

Large yes but not the largest. If GE didn't own CFM Pratt would look much larger. Pratt is owned by Ratheon now. If you want to argue about Engine Alliance go ahead.
You certainly don’t sound like you get out. At least not around Connecticut. You keep talking about the old mill town you live in like it’s the same everywhere in our state. It’s not.

You again miss my point. I know that San Francisco is heavily dependent on the tech industry and Michigan the auto industry. That’s why I cited them. The defense industry here is no different than those industries, yet you seem to be always demeaning the defense industry like it’s business and jobs don’t count. Of course they do.

I never said farms here weren’t doing fine but if we push development in the rural areas those farms become prime for development. That makes them vulnerable to be sold off so we have to be careful not to lose them completely. I don’t think anyone wants to see our state lose all its farms.

You are right about CFM but it depends on how you interpret the numbers. CFM is a 50/50 joint venture of GE Aviation and the French company Safran Aircraft Engines. Since they go 50/50, GE gets 19.5% of the CFM business. Together with their 14% that’s a total 23.5% market share verses the 35% that Pratt has. That means Pratt is biggest independently. Jay

Old 11-17-2022, 07:14 PM

192 posts, read 94,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed.

Their town doesn't represent what's happening in many other parts of the state. My town has no shortage of supermarkets in the area. I can't see any more being built as there's nowhere left to build. There's 2 Stop & Shops, a Whole Foods, a Big Y (new), a ShopRite (new), G Mart (new - Asian supermarket), an independent IGA, and Aldi in Milford alone. Plus groceries at Target, Walmart, Dollar General. Then, another ShopRite and Trader Joe's in Orange. And several others in other neighboring towns.

And there's very little room to develop in this area. That's why most projects around town, whether residential or commercial, are re-use or teardowns.
I also live in Milford, and I don't know if the plethora of grocery stores is indicative of overall health of the immediate area. Milford has long been a city, so the lack of the developable land has been reality since the 19th century. The city decided, probably in response to the decline in manufacturing, to prioritize regional retail, primarily due to the excellent highway access.

I actually am new to living in Milford after a long hiatus living in NYC. I grew up in Stratford and my parents moved to Shelton while in high school at Fairfield Prep. I bought a house by Walnut Beach.

Retail in the whole West Shore area is pretty bad. Even the Stop and Shop is disgusting. There are very few decent places to go so far as dining is concerned, despite the affluence further down Broadway away from Naugatuck Ave and the ugly apartments. Most people clearly have minimal disposable income.

I remember when the shopping center down the street from Jonathon Law opened - it had a great comic book store. I used to ride my bike there from Stratford. I go to Bin 100 often as it's one of the few decent restaurants in the area, but that center was nicer in 1992.

Downtown Milford has largely remained unchanged since 2008 or so. I remember when the bar opened up across from the Stonebridge. Wow that place was awesome circa 2002. Now, it's just meh. I'm wary of drunk driving, but I go out in Fairfield/Westport/Norwalk and sometimes New Haven far more frequently than in town.

The Whole Foods shopping center is really interesting and sort of shows how the area has declined somewhat since 2008. That center opened around that time with Whole Foods opening in 2009. It is a small Whole Foods, especially compared to Fairfield. There are some upscale retailers there, but there are signs it's declining. The restaurant space has been vacant for years. There is a supercuts.

But an Aldi? Poor people. Big Y and ShopRite? Mid range. G-Mart? That's not an H-Mart. It caters to restaurants (which is fine). The Asian liquor store in the center is pretty great, but that center is in decline and the parking lot is routinely empty.

Milford pretty much was skyrocketing until 2008, and I'm not sure it's changed much for the better outside of the fact it's the last desirable municipality on the New Haven line of the Metro-North Railroad.

I took a break from this forum as I found it to be very dialectic - Connecticut is horrible, Connecticut is great.

It's closer to great than horrible, but I worry about the future of the state.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:53 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Who or what is this "we". If a farmer wants to sell their land then so be it. It's a private decision and should be respected. Can we create incentives to keep farmland? Sure.

Yes I do travel to much of the state and it's a bit hard to make the argument of isolation given the proximity to I84 and RT 32. It's not like it's Scotland or Ashford. There are many mill towns across the state and region. Recently I was in historic Wethersfield and found it to be pretty nice although it is like checkpoint Charlie once you cross the tracks. It isn't bad but it's clearly zoned for historic which looks good and the rest not as good. I was in New Britain earlier this year and saw some of the development, there's clearly some green shoots. I've been going all across CT for about six or so years now. Downtown Putnam, Niantic beach countless times, New Haven, Old Lyme, Book Barn etc. I'm sorry I'm not taking a B line to FFC. Eventually I'd like to go to Mongers Market but it's a day trip given it's only open one day a week for six hours and about 90 minutes each way. My brothers old girlfriend lived in Danbury and an old boss of mine (15+ years ago) lived in Danbury. Every third weekend he'd visit home from eastern mass.

We can talk about GDP and affluency all we want but it's hard to argue about well run towns when most public services run on aggregate demand services.
CT Public school enrollment is down 6% since 2014
UConn's enrollment is down 2-3% since 2016
My main fear is the population drop is going to trickle into UConn at a faster pace and that's what's been propping up much of the region for years. UConn is mostly in Eastern CT. Stamford campus is extremely small. The other are the law school, hartford, farmington and avery point. The state could sell off the Stamford campus and probably make and save money on operations.How many developers would snatch that up in a second...

When people say that this town is better than that or this school district or state and then there's nothing to back it up or it is some qualitative statement it's just hard to argue. Stats can be all over the place. Graduation rates, job growth, road grow, amount of taxable property that is actively paying, population growth etc. If something looks pretty that's fine but that doesn't always made things are good.

So small towns that don't run their pension system, water/sewer system, educational system (regional), regional police, fire and EMS, regional health depts. What exactly is left? GFOA awards are fine for transparency but it doesn't mean anything for credit ratings.

Now I get it FFC is crowded and the density IS high. But there's a HUGE drop in population density after the first three counties. And these are all connected to I91. Some of the cities in CT have a higher population than entire counties. Hartford has more than Windham county.

Rank Population Density ▼ County / Population
1. 1,195.5/sq mi Hartford, CT / 897,374
2. 1,116.3/sq mi Fairfield, CT / 934,215
3. 1,001.3/sq mi New Haven, CT / 863,148
4. 377.0/sq mi Middlesex, CT / 165,534
5. 365.1/sq mi Tolland, CT / 152,251
6. 355.2/sq mi New London, CT / 274,071
7. 226.1/sq mi Windham, CT / 117,918
8. 198.5/sq mi Litchfield, CT / 187,542

Given the divide maybe it might make sense to start county government again and give the option towards adopting more state policies on the local level. So if FFC doesn't want 8-32G so be it, same with Hartford and New Haven County. By all means bring construction out east.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:45 AM

4,458 posts, read 3,353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post

Milford pretty much was skyrocketing until 2008, and I'm not sure it's changed much for the better outside of the fact it's the last desirable municipality on the New Haven line of the Metro-North Railroad.
Did you see this?
https://www.williampitt.com/communit.../market-report

Price Per Square Foot up 29.3% since 2020 ($310 PSF)
Median House Price up 25% since 2020

It seems like many New Yorkers have moved in. It will be interesting to see the Price PSF holds up. My town of Trumbull with the better school system is only $243 per square foot. I think I remember Trumbull was always more per square foot. Now it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut