Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 11:42 AM

351 posts, read 162,433 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for recommendations for a contractor to install windows around west hartford area. I'm gathering quotes from different companies but would appreciate if someone could recommend a contractor who will do a good job for reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 12:35 PM

366 posts, read 780,599 times
Advanced Window Systems. Have used when we lived in an historic home with lots of unconventional sized windows and also in a newer (1983) home. Excellent product and service.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:10 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Be careful of Andersen. Though they say in their commercials they don’t use high pressure, they don’t tell you they give you two prices, a lower one if you sign that day and a higher one that’s good for a year. Also note that their prices are very high. Someone I know got a quote for $20,000 for six windows. It seems very high. Still you could contact them but be aware that they do this. Jay

Old 06-05-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
Advanced Window Systems. Have used when we lived in an historic home with lots of unconventional sized windows and also in a newer (1983) home. Excellent product and service.

Thanks. Just got an appointment with them, we'll see what they come up with. For now already got a quote with one of the company's which was $32k - $18k incentives so $14k. Those incentives, and the fact that the agent told me it would take them 25 minutes per window doesn't sound too credible.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Be careful of Andersen. Though they say in their commercials they don’t use high pressure, they don’t tell you they give you two prices, a lower one if you sign that day and a higher one that’s good for a year. Also note that their prices are very high. Someone I know got a quote for $20,000 for six windows. It seems very high. Still you could contact them but be aware that they do this. Jay

Tell me about high pressure. I could barely make one of the sales agent to leave my house.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
What are you looking to do? Replace older wooden windows or older vinyl windows?

And yes they are persistent! I had a solar guy stop by last week, he was determined to sell me his service no matter how many times I said I wasn't interested.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
What are you looking to do? Replace older wooden windows or older vinyl windows?
I'm looking to replace older wood windows. They are in pretty good shape though and easy to remove, just tried that, a few screws and done.

AWS guy just came in and what we figured is part of my house already has their windows and doors and I like the quality. I believe they are using Okna company.

Quoted me exactly the same as other company though, the difference between the quotes are like $50.

This makes me think they could do better. Any suggestions on how to know off the price further from what sales associate provides on-site?

I like what AWS did to my windows which are already installed and it's definitely a quality job, but I'd like to make sure I get the best deal possible. Any suggestion on how to sweeten the deal?

Old 06-07-2023, 08:36 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
I'm looking to replace older wood windows. They are in pretty good shape though and easy to remove, just tried that, a few screws and done.

AWS guy just came in and what we figured is part of my house already has their windows and doors and I like the quality. I believe they are using Okna company.

Quoted me exactly the same as other company though, the difference between the quotes are like $50.

This makes me think they could do better. Any suggestions on how to know off the price further from what sales associate provides on-site?

I like what AWS did to my windows which are already installed and it's definitely a quality job, but I'd like to make sure I get the best deal possible. Any suggestion on how to sweeten the deal?
If they are in good shape why do you want to replace them?

We live in a neighborhood of 80’s era homes. The windows that were used were decent double pane ones. Most have storm windows over them so they have decent energy efficiency.

One of my neighbors replaced their windows with triple panes but without storm windows. They couldn’t understand why their energy bills did not go down after they were installed. They had basically the same energy efficiency as their old windows. So be sure it’s needed before making such a big investment. Jay

Old 06-07-2023, 08:39 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Exactly what Jay said. If you have wood windows they are easily repairable. Adding a storm window will increase efficiency. Depending on what you get for replacements, you may not be able to repair them in the future and will end up replacing the replacements at some point.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:46 PM

I'm looking for new windows to increase sound insulation. Current windows are pretty subpar for that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut