Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

If your only true concern here is that your children aren't being challenged at school, then i would again suggest that you contact the superintendent's office and request that your children be placed in a more advanced classroom within the school that they are currently attending.

As far as Stratford Academy is concerned, enrollment is by lottery. If your broker mislead you regarding this, you should file a complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:12 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
lol, f what you heard about public schools in Connecticut. Look, I'm again gonna mention about the girl I grew up in Waterbury that went to Yale. C'mon, our school was barely accredited and she got into Yale. She was from a different country and her parents didn't speak English. She got into one of the world's top schools from one of Connecticuts worse. How? Her parents obviously didn't care about CMT or CAPT scores any other foolishness that doesn't matter. They obviously focused more about the child as opposed to how others in school were doing. Its called good parenting.

And as for the original question; Connecticut's social problems will never be resolved. I'm glad that there are finally people that agree with me that Connecticut people are snotty. I mean, I sound a little silly, being from Waterbury, (Conn), but that city follows more of a new york flow, and if Storrs, CT is a reflection of the real CT, then I'm movin back to Waterbury when I graduate!

I know what you mean about finding friends too. At UCONN, I've even considered not to rock my Yankee fitteds, thinkin "maybe that pisses them off". I also think that nutmeggers watch wayy too much news. I don't wear anything to imply gang involvement, but months ago a kid found out I was from Waterbury and asked me "were you in a gang at home?" (he was from Bridgewater). And just recently, my roommate (swear on this) told me that he was voting for McCain because "its not a good time for a black man to run this country." (he's from West Hartford).

So in summary, Connecticut people are on average are snotty and the schools are way overrated. Instead of watching the news all the time, they should take a look out the window. I can imagine it being difficult finding friends when you come from a city to a state like this.

But I love my hometown.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Default Stop spreading the rumors, and start spreading the northern hospitality.

Brasscity,

So ok, you are still in school at Storrs. I'm guessing your age range is 18-22. Your life is not going to be defined in the long run by the 2 places you've lived so far. Get some more years under your belt, and learn some more about "group think". You are spreading the false rumors, enough people hear the false rumors about Connecticutans, and then they start to believe them, and then they act themselves cold and stand-offish to others as if all this is true.

Honestly, since you were born here in CT, your own logic says that you yourself are calling yourself a snot? Is that true about you? No I'm sure not, but based on your statements you must be cold and stand-offish since you were born in CT. LOL. How often have you granted the merging driver a space in front of you on the road? or walked up to strangers in the Caf. at UCONN and said "HI, my name is __________, do you want to be friends?" or offered to carry books for someone struggling. Did you say "Hi" to the person on the elevator in your dorm who's lonely too and on the next floor?

There is a reason why the phrase is "southern hospitality". It is group think. I'll tell you about hospitality. I was on vacation some years back and a was called a "Damn Yankee" right like I wasn't even there. "Why is that "damn yankee" in my living room." OH YEAH, but the group think is that other areas are so much friendlier... geesh... Connecticutans are not any more snotty or any more than judgemental than any other area.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share Thisgroup·think (grōōp'thĭngk') Pronunciation Key
n. The act or practice of reasoning or decision-making by a group, especially when characterized by uncritical acceptance or conformity to prevailing points of view.

Stop spreading the rumors, and start spreading the northern hospitality.
Just my humble opinion.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 99,175 times
I moved to Norwalk from Yonkers (originally from the Bronx) 24 years ago. The people here are generally down to earth but not overly friendly. There are some on my street that I have still never met. Its not like the Bronx was when I was a kid. My children went to Norwalk Schools and I have to say overall I feel they got a decent education. They have academically talented programs that are great. I have friends who had children in the parochial schools here and they were not happy with the level of education they were getting and they moved them back into the public schools. I guess it is a matter of who you speak to and their individual experiences. I guess knowing what I know now about education I would have picked a different town to move to, like Wilton or Fairfield. But their schools have their own set of problems. When I moved here from NY and told people I was originally from the Bronx they looked at me in shock and asked if I ever saw a murder!! Pretty funny.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Brasscity,

So ok, you are still in school at Storrs. I'm guessing your age range is 18-22. Your life is not going to be defined in the long run by the 2 places you've lived so far. Get some more years under your belt, and learn some more about "group think". You are spreading the false rumors, enough people hear the false rumors about Connecticutans, and then they start to believe them, and then they act themselves cold and stand-offish to others as if all this is true.

Honestly, since you were born here in CT, your own logic says that you yourself are calling yourself a snot? Is that true about you? No I'm sure not, but based on your statements you must be cold and stand-offish since you were born in CT. LOL. How often have you granted the merging driver a space in front of you on the road? or walked up to strangers in the Caf. at UCONN and said "HI, my name is __________, do you want to be friends?" or offered to carry books for someone struggling. Did you say "Hi" to the person on the elevator in your dorm who's lonely too and on the next floor?

There is a reason why the phrase is "southern hospitality". It is group think. I'll tell you about hospitality. I was on vacation some years back and a was called a "Damn Yankee" right like I wasn't even there. "Why is that "damn yankee" in my living room." OH YEAH, but the group think is that other areas are so much friendlier... geesh... Connecticutans are not any more snotty or any more than judgemental than any other area.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share Thisgroup·think (grōōp'thĭngk') Pronunciation Key
n. The act or practice of reasoning or decision-making by a group, especially when characterized by uncritical acceptance or conformity to prevailing points of view.

Stop spreading the rumors, and start spreading the northern hospitality.
Just my humble opinion.

seymour,

if you look around this site, you will find threads and responses that I find hard to believe. I am not a gullable person, but when people use their so called personal experiences to justify something, I take them to be true.

My view of Connecticut is from the heart and trust me, there are nothing false with what I write. But u gotta understand that I this is a board of public opinion and that we may not see things the way that you do. Now I have made a generalization that Connecticut ppl are snotty. But that doesn't mean that everyone born in the 203 or 860 are destined to arrogance.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM

By the way, during my senior year of high school I every tuesday helping sophomores in my a low level Biology class. The summer before I went to UCONN I organized a project to build a playground in a low income section of my hometown. I still make it home to make sure the kids in my neighborhood are still in school and try to get them to do the right thing.

Remember, we don't know each other.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 PM

49 posts, read 188,521 times
I can't even believe the way this thread has gone. Sorry Trebien that your life in Statford isn't working out but there's a little web site called SchoolMatters.com that would have told you everything you need to know about schools in CT. Stratford, Ct schools are sub standard to say the least. We moved from Manhatten and lived in Darien for 10 years. Loved every second of it and the schools are top notch. The people were great as well but only if you are willing to put yourself out there and we did. As far at Ct schools in general go..not overated. There are enough stats out there to prove that. Ever gone to school in the south? Anyone? Now those schools are an issue.
We were relocated to Pittsburgh now and oh my, talk about crappy schools. We are spending 20k a year for a private school that doesn't even come close to Darien. You can't blame CT for your lack of research but I guess you can blame your broker.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper5 View Post
You can't blame Conn. for your lack of research, but I guess you can blame your broker.
If you're talking about real estate agents/brokers, no you can't. Commenting on schools is forbidden by state real estate licensing laws. It's the agent's prerogative to provide web sites.

Trebein, I re-read your two posts and didn't see who specifically told you about the schools. Was it the agent?

For the record, the following topics are no-no's: providing list of properties within a certain distance of a particular church, making statements about the quality of schools, identifying prisons as such, identifying which ethnicity occupies a certain house, speculating on a property's future value.

I've had a problem with the one about prisons since the correctional facility is about 2 miles from my house. I'm supposed to say, "I'm not sure what that is."

Last edited by Rich Lee; 10-13-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Stratford, Ct schools are sub standard to say the least.
Would you mind sharing with us your personal experiences with the school system?

Quote:
We moved from Manhatten and lived in Darien for 10 years. Loved every second of it and the schools are top notch.
We were relocated to Pittsburgh now and oh my, talk about crappy schools. We are spending 20k a year for a private school that doesn't even come close to Darien.
How would you say this inferior 20K/yr. private school compares with your experience with the Stratford school system?

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to live in Darien, which i believe is about 3X more expensive than Stratford. On a side note, i was taught in a Stratford school that the correct spelling is Manhattan.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM

55 posts, read 393,360 times
Quote:
I can't even believe the way this thread has gone. Sorry Trebien that your life in Statford isn't working out but there's a little web site called SchoolMatters.com that would have told you everything you need to know about schools in CT. Stratford, Ct schools are sub standard to say the least. We moved from Manhatten and lived in Darien for 10 years. Loved every second of it and the schools are top notch. The people were great as well but only if you are willing to put yourself out there and we did. As far at Ct schools in general go..not overated. There are enough stats out there to prove that. Ever gone to school in the south? Anyone? Now those schools are an issue.
We were relocated to Pittsburgh now and oh my, talk about crappy schools. We are spending 20k a year for a private school that doesn't even come close to Darien. You can't blame CT for your lack of research but I guess you can blame your broker.
Actually we did a good amount of research before deciding to buy in Stratford. We started looking to buy here since 2004. I researched about the schools in greatschools.net as well as talk to people on our visit here. The agent we used was the worst ever (a whole new thread) but she did mention to us that the schools in Stratford are -in her own exact words "creme de la creme". I guess no matter what people say you have to experience it first hand to make the judgement for yourself.

20k for a private school wow and I thought the 10k/yr for they told me I had to pay for my 3 kids here in Stratford parochial school was outrageous.

As for going out to meet new people, did that. I enrolled my son in a soccer program as wll as enroll my daughters in girl scout. I don't even want to start to talk about how the parents I have met behave. As far as I am concerned that's their own perogative. Coming from NY has taught me not to bother anyone who does not want to be bothered. And frankly I could care less whether you say hello to me or not. When I said that people are rude and snobish , it is usaually the ones I met in the grocery stores and the cashiers( don't know what 's their problem but I now go to Milford for shopping, which reminds me of shopping in Cross County in Yonkers NY). Some of the drivers drive like maniacs they tailgate like crazy even in residential areas and school zones.One even cut me off on the stop sign in a school zone the other day . Thank God the kids were still in school at that time. And I thought NYers are very impatient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut