Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM

41 posts, read 103,330 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're likely relocating this year for professional reasons and New Haven is on the list of potential places (along with others - I'll be cross posting).

I'm not too familiar with the area and am wondering what we should consider. We don't have kids, but want to within the next few years and are looking for a laid-back city neighborhood, or a small town/suburb with a lively town center. As far as housing, we would be OK renting a 2-3 BR condo, or buying a 2-4 BR condo or house up to $350 or $400k.

We lived in Somerville MA (near Davis) and really loved it for its neighborhoods, GLBT-friendly vibe, and arts community. We also liked Amherst/Northampton (MA), Portland (ME), Burlington (VT), St. Paul (MN), and Ann Arbor (MI). They all manage to pull off a somewhat urban feel but still have easy access to nature and a good community.

We're not too into traditional night life (i.e. clubbing) but enjoy some bars, cafes/coffee shops, open mikes/acoustic music, and biking/hiking/running. A co-op or farmers market would be a nice bonus. I guess we're pretty stereotypical for our demographic (we've got an academic and a consultant between us) but at this point I've accepted that and just want to find a place we'll enjoy living and that doesn't feel too much like we've walked onto the set of the Stepford Wives.

I've been told that places like that don't exist in Connecticut, but I would like to be wrong about that. Any suggestions? And if so, can you talk a little bit about what else is nearby, how the traffic is, and what New Haven itself has to offer? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 PM

35,091 posts, read 57,224,559 times
I don't know who told you places you wold like don't exist in Connecticut but they obviously do not know the state very well. Many of the places you mention cater to tourists so there may be a lot more touristy places in them while Connectifcut is more into providing its residents with a high quality of life.

First you need to decide just how urban of an area you want to live in and how far from your job you want to live. If you want a nice urban neighborhood, New Haven itself has several you might be interested in. East Rock, downtown and Westville are three parts of New haven that people like a lot. East Rock is a charming older neighborhood. Downtown is more urban style living and Westville is a small urban village. Each has its own qualities that make it special.

If you want a more small town life, then I would suggest looking into the beautiful shoreline towns east of New Haven. Branford has a small but very nice downtown and a lto of beautiful neighborhoods to consider. Neighboring Guilford is a bit more funky and has a wonderful Town Green with interesting shops and restaurants. Madison is beautiful but a bit more upscale. I would also think about checking out Milford (great access into New York if you are interested) or Wallingford (more affordable inland town with a lot to offer). Jay

Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 PM

41 posts, read 103,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't know who told you places you wold like don't exist in Connecticut but they obviously do not know the state very well. Many of the places you mention cater to tourists so there may be a lot more touristy places in them while Connectifcut is more into providing its residents with a high quality of life.
Thanks very much for your suggestions...like I said, I would like to prove the skeptics (mostly family members of mine) wrong about CT and it's really helpful to have specific places to look at suggested by people who know the area.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,081,348 times
I grew up in Branford and while I haven't lived there for 20+ years every time I visit I think that it's really a nice town. Guilford, Madison and Milford are on my list too. Personally I would rent first and see what town has the right feel for you.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM

856 posts, read 2,020,274 times
I second the Guilford (Guilford Mooring has the best lobster ravioli imho), Branford, Madison, Old Saybrook recommendations. Since it's such a short drive you should come visit and drive down route 1 on a saturday and see what you think of the towns. When you get to New Haven you will see there is a dramatic difference and then from there to New York the trend continues with a higher cityscape and more industrials.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 PM

257 posts, read 611,676 times
Branford I think would be your best bet. It is only a 15 minute drive into New Haven and you won't have a problem finding a housing option, there are tons of condo/apartment options and homes for sale. The downtown is beautiful and quaint, and fits what your idea of a nice town should be.

Guilford and Madison would be good choices too, but they will give you a longer drive into New Haven and the amenities of the towns diminishes a little more and more heading east of New Haven.

West of New Haven, you could possibly check out Milford or Orange. Milford has a nice downtown and has a huge retail strip which to some isn't desirable. Milford's traffic is pretty bad, but Branford's in certain areas can get pretty bad at times also. Orange doesn't have a town center like you have posted for, but has a lot of nice residential housing with some land, all though finding renting there wouldn't be as easy in Branford or Milford.

Personally, I like to be east of New Haven. It seems to be a bit more New Englandish and becomes less dense eastward. There is a lot of options for biking and hiking in Branford, Guilford, and so on, and you won't have a problem finding a farmers market in the area. Plus there is a great Orchard/Winery in Guilford, "Bishops Orchards".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut