Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asy View Post
JViello,
In response to your questions...I do really like Mount Dora. It has a variety of interesting shops and that pretty, walkable downtown feel to it. It actually reminds me of my hometown in a lot of ways, though my town was more liberal and "hippie". I have been through Deland and what I remember of it was nice with a different type of downtown feel. I have driven through Apopka, it seems that their main downtown area is also home to a very busy road, 429 is it? It seemed similar in Deland. I don't mind traffic, but I like it to be a little more limited than that. Heavy all-day traffic makes it harder to walk around or have that quieter feel to the town. I guess something a little more "country" is nice. If you have any more ideas or comments I'd really appreciate it. By the way, if you lived in Florida how do you like Connecticut? Is it very cloudy and gray there or do they get sunshine even with the cold weather?
Got it, and understand pretty good. Let me think about this overnight. I'll come up with some suggestions.

Oh and yes, it's still sunny in the Winter here...not like Summer but nothing like what you are used too I can assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
I have traveled all over the New England states for many years. Over the years have observed and noted several things about the region -

1. REGION -Although the states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts,
Rhode Island and Connecticut are considered the six original New England states – Connecticut and parts of Rhode Island have more of a mid-Atlantic feel to them. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and northern Massachusetts, have a more old-fansioned, small town New England feel to them. As far as being conservative - I think the region tends to get more conservative as you travel from south to north. Also, you will find much greater ethnic and racial diversity in Connecticut, in Rhode Island (around Providence) and in Massachusetts (around Boston), than you will in the northern states.

2. CLIMATE - I’m not sure what your preference is? (Colder, warmer, sun, snow). Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts have long, cold, and snowy winters. Also, it tends to be cloudy a great deal of time in the winter months in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. Summers however, tend to be beautiful in the northern areas - with low humidity and cool nights. Since summers are short, and the ocean is cold (in the low 60’s F in summer from Cape Cod north) most of the recreation is geared toward the winter ski season.

In contrast - once you get as far south as Connecticut and southern Rhode Island, the summers are longer, hotter and more humid. The heat waves can be searing and tropical. Thunderstorms bring quick heavy rains and relief. The weather is warm to hot from mid April to early November. There is more of summer beach scenic in Connecticut and Rhode Island (know for huge waves). Water temps reach 72 to 75 F in the summer months. Snow is light in general, and in some years in southeastern Connecticut and coastal Rhode Island - you might not even have enough snow to shovel. The hazards of cold and snow are much less a factor here than in the more northern states. In fact – hurricanes will likely be a bigger concern, infrequent as they are.

3. JOBS - Boston is the biggest job center in New England, followed by Stamford, CT, Hartford, CT, Providence, RI, New Haven, CT, and Portland, ME. In general, professional employment in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, can be more difficult to find than in the southern states (CT, MA, RI). That’s a big problem in New England – the small towns lack employment.

My overall choice for the best regions, (its difficult to pick one city or town) when looking at climate, employment, and diversity is 1) Providence and it’s southern suburbs (nice city, mild winters, close to beaches, close to Boston, NYC), and 2) New Haven suburbs ( mild winters, small town feel, near ocean, near large employers, young, diverse population, very close to NYC). Resort towns – Newport, Rhode Island and Mystic, Connecticut, but may not have enough things to do. At the opposite end - I think far northern Maine, may prove to be too difficult to find employment, too isolated from things, and too rigorous a climate for the average person.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 AM

64 posts, read 346,914 times
Default where to?

There are 47 homes between 500-650 in Ridgefield..the high average sale price is the result of 2mln+ mini mansions that sell here. Kinda skews the numbers some...

Old 04-13-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalehead View Post
There are 47 homes between 500-650 in Ridgefield..the high average sale price is the result of 2mln+ mini mansions that sell here. Kinda skews the numbers some...
LOL What's a hundred grand between friends...

The day I spend 575K on a 30 year old raised ranch is the day I took up a crack habit. Sorry, but some things to me simply are not worth the effort or cash. Buying at today's prices in that region is ludicrous unless it's one of the truely fine homes. For those that bought the raised ranch for 150K 30 years ago - do a happy dance.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asy View Post
JViello,
In response to your questions...I do really like Mount Dora. It has a variety of interesting shops and that pretty, walkable downtown feel to it. It actually reminds me of my hometown in a lot of ways, though my town was more liberal and "hippie". I have been through Deland and what I remember of it was nice with a different type of downtown feel. I have driven through Apopka, it seems that their main downtown area is also home to a very busy road, 429 is it? It seemed similar in Deland. I don't mind traffic, but I like it to be a little more limited than that. Heavy all-day traffic makes it harder to walk around or have that quieter feel to the town. I guess something a little more "country" is nice. If you have any more ideas or comments I'd really appreciate it. By the way, if you lived in Florida how do you like Connecticut? Is it very cloudy and gray there or do they get sunshine even with the cold weather?
Okay, I've been kicking this around in my head a lot. West Hartford seems to be the logical choice.

It's not "rural" by CT standards and in fact is just a few miles from DT Hartford...however here in CT you CAN drive a few miles from the center city and feel like you are 50 miles outside the city. (That's one of the benefits and pleasures of New England/CT)

Quote:
small town feel. I like places with a "downtown" of shops that locals and tourists alike frequent. I would like somewhere that has a lot to do in terms of family oriented activities and where the population is reasonably young
West Hartford hits all of those in spades.

Small town feel, great downtown (One of the best natural DTs in the country actually and like Mt Dora x3), tourists do stop by while in Hartford, definetly family oriented town and the population is "young".

There are other towns around that would fit the bill, but they either will cost you a fortune or not meet all the criteria you listed.

Take a hard look into DT West Hartford - I think you will be impressed.

http://www.nationaltrust.org/Magazine/_images/news/WestHartford.jpg (broken link)

http://www.west-hartford.com

http://www.whchamber.com

http://www.whchamber.com

http://www.celebratewesthartford.com

And don't forget you are a stones throw from Hartford and all of it's cultural splendor.

If you have any specific questions - feel free to ask. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL What's a hundred grand between friends...

The day I spend 575K on a 30 year old raised ranch is the day I took up a crack habit. Sorry, but some things to me simply are not worth the effort or cash. Buying at today's prices in that region is ludicrous unless it's one of the truely fine homes. For those that bought the raised ranch for 150K 30 years ago - do a happy dance.
These properties have many years of price support. Also, they're a deal compared to their counterparts across the state line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut