Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:56 AM

8 posts, read 15,478 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard if the amount of rain we have gotten will cause a significant increase in the number of mosquitos that will be coming our way within the next couple of weeks? I haven't heard or read anything myself but I've been hearing from others that they have. West Niles virus usually gets some attention this time of year. Maybe I missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:25 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
All I know is that I spray my backyard like every other week and it's nice to be back there without swatting something away.

The other thing I know is since my neighbors got a pool I've increased my spraying this year compared to last year. When the kids aren't in it...it's not like they have a filter or pump running...so the water just sits.

So between the rain & pool....YES there has been an increase. The ground is their breeding ground and unfortunetly we can't spray and kill them everywhere.

Mother Nature will eventually win against us.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
We are surrounded by several acres of dense woods, but so far this year the mosquitoes haven't been worse than usual, and we are out a lot. Of course we have mosquitoes, but we always do. We do have bats that live on the side of the house that help control our mosquito population. Just be sure not to let any puddles/buckets etc. sit around with stagnant water that will provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes. I do have a small pond in our backyard, but it has a fountain and several fish, so that isn't an issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature27 View Post
All I know is that I spray my backyard like every other week and it's nice to be back there without swatting something away.

The other thing I know is since my neighbors got a pool I've increased my spraying this year compared to last year. When the kids aren't in it...it's not like they have a filter or pump running...so the water just sits.

So between the rain & pool....YES there has been an increase. The ground is their breeding ground and unfortunetly we can't spray and kill them everywhere.

Mother Nature will eventually win against us.
The only way a pool would breed mossquitos is if it sat for a long period without use. If the kids are in it every now and again, it's not breeding them. They probably change the water and/or add some chlorine as well.

The water would be nasty if there was larva in there.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
That's a good question! I just came back from Maine and they had absolutely NO mosquitoes or horse flies what so ever. That has never happened.

My theory is that getting rain every few days repeatedly overflows containers with stagnant water, washing away the eggs the hover near the top.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:34 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Hmmm, ironically I'm getting bit more often past week. I sprayed again but they seems to appear while I'm on my deck. I just realized I got a garbage can half full of collected water. BUT THE LID IS ON! Can they still breed if its sealed??

Also...the kids haven't used the pool in 2 days now. Uncovered and I doubt they added clorine.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefiveofus View Post
Has anyone heard if the amount of rain we have gotten will cause a significant increase in the number of mosquitos that will be coming our way within the next couple of weeks? I haven't heard or read anything myself but I've been hearing from others that they have. West Niles virus usually gets some attention this time of year. Maybe I missed it.
I'm just over the border from CT, and I'm being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I was out the other night and they sucked all the blood out of me, leaving huge welts all over my face and my legs. Last night, I was trying to enjoy a beer outside and they came after my ankles, slurp, slurp, slurp.

So yes, the bugs are insane, but it was like this last year, too. I would never even attempt to walk in the woods this time of year.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature27 View Post
Hmmm, ironically I'm getting bit more often past week. I sprayed again but they seems to appear while I'm on my deck. I just realized I got a garbage can half full of collected water. BUT THE LID IS ON! Can they still breed if its sealed??

Also...the kids haven't used the pool in 2 days now. Uncovered and I doubt they added clorine.
LOL It takes a LOT longer than 2 days for the eggs to set, the larva to hatch and then fly. Trust me.

I've got water in the back of my pickup that's been there a week. lol
Mosquito larvae, commonly called "wigglers" or "wrigglers", must live in water from 7 to 14 days depending on water temperature.
The Life Cycle of the Mosquito

There are two stages with timelines aside from that above.

P.S. All that spraying of chemicals isn't very good for the environment and the "nature" around you. Just something to think about. Why do I have a feeling you used to live in NYC?

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
That's a good question! I just came back from Maine and they had absolutely NO mosquitoes or horse flies what so ever. That has never happened.
Maybe it was the location. We went camping in Maine last weekend and there were plenty of mosquitoes. Thank god for citronella candles and bug spray!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 PM

44 posts, read 153,774 times
JViello is right -- I doubt that pool is really the problem, and all that spraying is just spreading chemicals around with little effect. If your town has a spraying program, that's one thing, but a home user isn't going to have much positive impact. The best you can do is avoid keeping non-chlorinated standing water on your property and ask your neighbors to do the same. It's been (and will continue to be I think) a wet summer, and the bugs will respond. For what it's worth, the propane powered mosquito traps work very well, but that's an investment that you may not want to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut