Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 03:00 PM

15 posts, read 49,103 times

Advertisements

So, I have been searching the forums and in lieu of making my other post incomprehensible, I figured I'd start a new thread.

We are looking for:
$550,000 home,
we don't want to do much work on the house. new(er) or recently updated.
.5 acres or more
quiet, trees, houses spread out
near a "downtown" or main street, some place with restaurants
within 30 minutes of a regional (small) airport
No further east than Trumbull.

Previously mentioned:
Ridgefield, Fairfield, Darien, Westport, Bethel

I don't know too much about CT. Only what I've read online. We have friends in Trumbull, and would like to be within 30 minutes of there. Are these areas mentioned all fitting the bill? Would there be any other neighborhoods we should look at?

TIA for any help. My husband and I are desperate for advice. If you know of a helpful thread, you could post that too. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It will be hard to meet all of your criteria in southwestern Connecticut. This is one of the most expensive areas of the country and not everything is nearby. Most of the towns you mention (Westport, Darien and Ridgefield) are very expensive and will not have a lot in your price range.

That said $550k will only buy you a modest home and finding a half acre may be difficult near a downtown area. In general Fairfield and Bethel most fit your criteria. As for airports, there are not a lot. Westchester County is about the closest commercial one near Fairfield county. It is about 45 mintues from Bethel and Fairfield. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 PM

184 posts, read 842,546 times
Also check out Newtown and see if its "downtown" is downtowny enough for you. You'll get a nice house for $500-$550K. There are some decent restaurants (ok maybe three), the cheap movie theater, two supermarkets, um, and a really big flagpole. Depending on how close you are to I-84, it will also take you at least 45 minutes to get to White Plains airport. I live in Brookfield 10 minutes off of Exit 9 and I can make it to HPN in 40-45 minutes on a good traffic day. Newtown is easy to Trumbull, though.

The only decent house in Fairfield I saw under 550K recently with a lot of over half an acre was up near the Merritt Parkway, not by the downtown area. Lots there tend to be small. But it's a marvelous area!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 AM

74 posts, read 299,654 times
Jennyli -

Somehow I posted to you on that "Fairfield County.... getting depressed" thread. Sorry.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM

588 posts, read 1,872,191 times
You'll have a really tough time finding that in Westport and Darien. You can get lucky in Fairfield, and most ppl forget that Post Road isnt the only area with restaurants and stores. There's a section of Black Rock Tpke that has a good amount of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut