Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times

Advertisements

Well people do need to have somewhere to eat, unless you're going to sell to some diet guru, and a butcher block and stools seems a bit lame as the only place 'cause you've got 4 bedrooms so potentially a family with more than 2 people will be wanting to sit and dine, and the idea of forcing someone to eat on the couch (although we do it a lot) lacks the sale appeal. If you are staging the home, then yes I think you need to have a table somewhere.

jmo, we wouldn't buy a home without a FDR. We host a lot of holidays and turkey and stuffing from a paper plate or buffet sideboard just doesn't say the holidays to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 PM

138 posts, read 420,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Well people do need to have somewhere to eat, unless you're going to sell to some diet guru, and a butcher block and stools seems a bit lame as the only place 'cause you've got 4 bedrooms so potentially a family with more than 2 people will be wanting to sit and dine, and the idea of forcing someone to eat on the couch (although we do it a lot) lacks the sale appeal. If you are staging the home, then yes I think you need to have a table somewhere.

jmo, we wouldn't buy a home without a FDR. We host a lot of holidays and turkey and stuffing from a paper plate or buffet sideboard just doesn't say the holidays to me.
We have Eileen Gray side glass tables in the living room that we pull over like TV trays. We've just always eaten in front of the TV and that's why the FDR isn't that appealing for us. However, if we had family up here (all in FL), then I would definitely see the appeal for a dining room. Since it's just the two of us, we either eat at the Ikea Stenstorp island in the kitchen (IKEA | Kitchen cabinets & appliances | Kitchen islands & carts | STENSTORP | Kitchen island) or out in the living room. When we have guests over, it's usually when it's warm outside and we have a table for four, a bar table for 2 and other seating options (too bad the dining room isn't in the back yard! ). Even when we lived in our condo in Tampa and had a FDR, we only used it on T-Day and Xmas. But we're going to go ahead and make the office into a dining room that is cozy and comfortable just like the rest of our house.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
We have Eileen Gray side glass tables in the living room that we pull over like TV trays. We've just always eaten in front of the TV and that's why the FDR isn't that appealing for us. However, if we had family up here (all in FL), then I would definitely see the appeal for a dining room. Since it's just the two of us, we either eat at the Ikea Stenstorp island in the kitchen (IKEA | Kitchen cabinets & appliances | Kitchen islands & carts | STENSTORP | Kitchen island) or out in the living room. When we have guests over, it's usually when it's warm outside and we have a table for four, a bar table for 2 and other seating options (too bad the dining room isn't in the back yard! ). Even when we lived in our condo in Tampa and had a FDR, we only used it on T-Day and Xmas. But we're going to go ahead and make the office into a dining room that is cozy and comfortable just like the rest of our house.
Good for you Hopefully adding the table will bring more interested buyers

Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Put in the dining room. It adds value and people want it.

I made our 4th bedroom off the kitchen into a formal dining area the the house appraised 10K higher just for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut