Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times

Advertisements

I just got another of those: "Hello, this is Rachel from cardholder services. There is nothing wrong with your credit card, but ....."

Pretty soon, I'm going to get the: "Hello, this is Barack/Mitt .... " calls.

Has anyone ever heard of an answering machine that requires a caller to input something before your phone rings?

That is, make the caller do something like - enter [1]-[2]-[3] to get a ring tone. If the robo-caller doesn't enter the numbers, my phone never rings.

I tried to google this topic, but instead, got a jillion links to robo-calling-equipment to use to harass others.

The "Rachel" scam above actually goes out to the "Do Not Call List" and obtains land lines and cell phone lines to call.
They keep jumping around to different locations that it doesn't do any good to file complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I use a voice/fax modem and "phone tray free" You do have to input a number you want to block, but you can set whole ranges of numbers to block or zap. There was one company out of the Oregon area that was targeting this area, so I just blocked three of the area codes from Oregon and *poof* all gone.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You do have to input a number you want to block, ...
Blocking this number doesn't do any good. They keep switching numbers.

Besides, why should I have to do that kind of work? I'm looking for something that
requires the caller to simply enter some code of my choosing that I leave as a message.
That way, I never have to hear a robo call again if they don't know how to enter "poop" into the key pad.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Something like this?

Block unwanted calls and stop junk faxes - with or without Caller ID - before your phone rings

The Call Screener automatically answers a ringing phone and plays the following message:
"This number does not accept solicitation or survey calls of any kind. Place this number on your "Do Not Call" list and hang up. All others press "1" to ring through."

Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Something like this?
You - are - my - personal - hero!

I'm buying it right after I post this!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
another

Amazon.com: TeleBouncer Blocker TB1000 Block Telemarketing Calls: Car Electronics

Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Blocking this number doesn't do any good. They keep switching numbers.

Besides, why should I have to do that kind of work? I'm looking for something that
requires the caller to simply enter some code of my choosing that I leave as a message.
That way, I never have to hear a robo call again if they don't know how to enter "poop" into the key pad.
The bastards, yes bastards, are staying ahead of the technology by merely spoofing a bunch of different phone numbers. Even my Panasonic cordless phone has the functionality to block numbers.

What gets me is that these people continue to call (card services is the worst) when if they had an IQ above room temp they would figure out they are wasting their time calling me.

If I'm not into anything, I often play along and see how long I can tie up one of their trolls. After all it does no good to hit "9" to tell them to take this number off their list as the recording states, so have a little fun and screw with the trolls that pickup.

And no BS about hard working,..... blah blah, if they didn't know it when the started they figure out real quick they are calling people that are on the do not call list, etc.... Don't expict sympathy when you know you are involved in criminal enterprise.

Saw something in the paper that complaints about these companies are up 400% so far this year....... and that's not counting the political robo calls.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
We recorded the three-tone "phone out of service" sound. We inserted that sound snippet in front of the outgoing message on our phone. It got rid of many of the spam phone calls.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
We get a bunch of this crap at work, as we have Comcast phone service I use their selective call forwarding, once I get more than one call from a spam/scam number it gets entered in the list and forwarded to a number that has a message that states their call requires coins to be deposited to continue

Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
We get a bunch of this crap at work, as we have Comcast phone service I use their selective call forwarding, once I get more than one call from a spam/scam number it gets entered in the list and forwarded to a number that has a message that states their call requires coins to be deposited to continue
This is funny, but if the "Rachel" call comes from a different number every couple of weeks, you have to put up with the robot again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics