Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,600 times

Advertisements

I just gave my two cents advice to folks wanting to hook up old device to listen to thier old collection spending horrid amounts on expensive hardware that may not exactly work. Atleast my solution will definately play exactly what they want...cheap fidelity or not.

Last edited by Fbispy; 09-27-2016 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: More elaborated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbispy View Post
Play your music via radio folks! After all its a radio receiver and has the ability to receive radio frequencies..all you need is an FM broadcasting cheap device that we used about 10 years ago plugged in the car cigarette lighter socket. and a decent memory stick....you dont have to do anything to the bose..just tune it to your broadcasting station!!
I did not realize till now. You were responding to an old post that the OP will not even see anyway. Not only that the thread itself was started in 2014. Did you not notice that?

In regards to your post, FM, even at it's best is inherently worse than the alternatives. So along with the bad sound quality you have static and interference from other stations. Not a good solution and will never compare to BT.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:06 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, guys, I had been considering the Sonos system.

Let's start over because I'm getting myself cluttered with too many options, most of which probably don't make sense. I'm delighted to have you guys make some suggestions to help an old lady out so I can have decent to good sounding music in my large, open family room and kitchen (all one open area).

Help an old lady out, guys?
This post is rather old, but I think Google Chrome Audio cast will cover this situation today. I think it was introduced about three months after she made her request.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
I have an older version BOSE clock radio, given as a gift to me in 1998. Still looks and sounds great, but I don't listen to radio much. In our prior home, I had this attached to a CD player and listened to my CD's. We moved, I've uploaded all my CD's (about 500) to clouds, etc. and would like to be able to listen to my music on the BOSE using my ANDROID Smart Phone or Samsung tablet (preferably the latter) as the selection tool.

I saw this online and wondered if this, or something like it, would work? Sites-Brookstone-Site

I know I could buy another BOSE with this built in, but I just can't justify the expensive cost. If other's have additional suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement that is small but sounds 'expensive' with a large variety of music (hard rock to classical), I'd appreciate the ideas.

PS - I don't care about the clock function. This is going into my living room.
This will work: Harman Kardon BTA10. Crutchfield has it for $59.99

I just installed one of these on a very old but powerful Sony receiver. It comes with a mini-jack cord, a stereo RCA cord set, and an AC power cord. If your unit has any of those two jacks in the back or front, then it would work. The unit is just a Bluetooth receiver that transfers the music from your laptop, tablet, iPod, cellphone, etc., to your receiver, boombox, and so on. You would have to turn your laptop's (or other device) Bluetooth, and pair it to the Harman Bardon unit, first This would take from a few seconds to a few minutes, but once paired, just play your music in the laptop, and the sound is transferred to the receiver, TV, stereo, and so on.

These things work well with old stereos, since these didn't have Bluetooth. But just about all new receivers and the like now include at least Bluetooth or Wi-Fi capabilities.

Very old thread, and I hope that what we have posted can be of use to someone who has an old but good stereo receiver and does not want to get rid of it.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
Not interested in bluetooth capacity, but would like to be able to access HD channels (my local NPR station has three feeds) through my 5 (yes, count them) Bose wave radios. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shprintzie View Post
Not interested in bluetooth capacity, but would like to be able to access HD channels (my local NPR station has three feeds) through my 5 (yes, count them) Bose wave radios. Any ideas? Thanks.
External HD radio tuner, playing through a whole-house FM transmitter, transmitting on an FM frequency that is unused in your area and received by the FM tuner on your Bose radios.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I'm the OP and I'm updating this thread with similar questions.

I ended up getting a Sonos 3 and Sonos Soundbar for two rooms in my home. I love the damn thing. But I would still like to get music occasionally in one more small room. I can't justify the cost of another Sonos 3 ($250) or even a sonos 1 ($150) for this.

I still have my good old 1998 Sonos Wave Clock Radio. The "quality" of the sound is fine with me. I would still like to get this to function with my ripped CD's in GooglePlay as well as Pandora, Amazon music, etc IF POSSIBLE. I would use the apps on my android phone (or laptop) to access the music.

My preference would be to have this connect to my Google Fiber internet, but I already suspect the cheaper/easier alternative is to use a bluetooth adapter. A photo of the back of the unit appears below.

I'm thinking that maybe one of these things would work? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016NUTG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075JBLG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 11-15-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 02:38 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,202 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that maybe one of these things would work? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016NUTG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
The picture is small and dark, but presuming that your radio has a stereo line in, then yes, it appears the device you posted will work. Alternatively, you could get a Google Chromecast Audio and connect it to the radio.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
In case someone else wants to do this, I finally thought of a cheap, easy solution - which has the additional advantages of Amazon Alexa.

Attaching an Amazon Dot to the Bose using a cheap, simple 3mm to RCA cord male to male. I already had the dot and the cord, and after testing my solution, purchased another Dot for twenty bucks during black Friday sale.

Sounds pretty damn good - not as good as my sonos speakers but WAY cheaper! Thank you, Djmaxwell, for the Chromecast suggestion,which is what led me to think of using one of my Amazon Dots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics