Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,457,477 times

Advertisements

My elderly father is fading fast, and it would make my life so much easier if I could put a camera in his room to keep an eye on him. I thought I would be able to watch him on my Macbook or iphone. I had ordered a great little camera, but I later found out that none of them will work with satellite internet.
I just need a camera that will work on my home network. I do not need to view from away from home.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced wifi camera that does not need the internet?
Please help if you can, I have spent a lot of time looking and I can't spare it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM

23,627 posts, read 70,572,490 times
I'm confused. Why would satellite internet even be a factor if you don't need to view away from home and you are in the same home?

None of the IP cams even need to have connection to the wider internet. Set your router to assign a fixed (local) address to the IP cam, then use the browser on your computer to view that address. I do that all day long to see around our property as I sit at the computer.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Whether the Internet comes from satellite or the Hooterville Phone Company is not relevant to the operation of the Local Area Network.

I'm thinking the OP has a wireless (local) network and just needs an IP camera that connects wirelessly to that network. Most IP cameras are wired.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm confused. Why would satellite internet even be a factor if you don't need to view away from home and you are in the same home?

None of the IP cams even need to have connection to the wider internet. Set your router to assign a fixed (local) address to the IP cam, then use the browser on your computer to view that address. I do that all day long to see around our property as I sit at the computer.
Your first question only makes sense if you already understand how all this stuff works.
I thought that if you were viewing thru a browser that was the internet. All I know is I couldn't even download the viewing software for the camera I bought because all the options I needed to select on their website were grayed out. Their tech support said it was because I had a satellite connection.

How do I set my router (airport) to assign a fixed address to an IP cam? What IP cam do you use?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Whether the Internet comes from satellite or the Hooterville Phone Company is not relevant to the operation of the Local Area Network.

I'm thinking the OP has a wireless (local) network and just needs an IP camera that connects wirelessly to that network. Most IP cameras are wired.
Yes. Do you know of a good one?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Yes. Do you know of a good one?
Since you specified "good" rather than "cheap," I'll recommend Axis IP Cameras, because they're pioneers in this product category. They've been producing these since the 1990s and they have several wireless models. The AXIS M10 Network Camera Series includes their most affordable cameras.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Your first question only makes sense if you already understand how all this stuff works.
I thought that if you were viewing thru a browser that was the internet. All I know is I couldn't even download the viewing software for the camera I bought because all the options I needed to select on their website were grayed out. Their tech support said it was because I had a satellite connection.

How do I set my router (airport) to assign a fixed address to an IP cam? What IP cam do you use?
I use both Wanscam and Foscam plus some homebrew stuff. Never trust an entry level tech. If it an IP cam you shouldn't need their viewing software to view within a browser. (There can be exceptions, but they are uncommon) What did you get?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I use both Wanscam and Foscam plus some homebrew stuff. Never trust an entry level tech. If it an IP cam you shouldn't need their viewing software to view within a browser. (There can be exceptions, but they are uncommon) What did you get?
I got a ToGoCam mini. It reviewed well on Amazon and the tech support was the most responsive and helpful I have ever dealt with.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:17 AM

I don't see anything where that cam supports a web browser. The software appears to be ONLY for viewing over a phone, and they suggest not to use third party software. Fighting it would be a battle that you might not want. Personally, I find it foolish that they don't have software in the camera that will allow viewing from a standard web browser. Call tech support, relay that comment. If they can't fix you up, toss the thing on the junk heap or give it to a friend (or enemy).

Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I don't see anything where that cam supports a web browser. The software appears to be ONLY for viewing over a phone, and they suggest not to use third party software. Fighting it would be a battle that you might not want. Personally, I find it foolish that they don't have software in the camera that will allow viewing from a standard web browser. Call tech support, relay that comment. If they can't fix you up, toss the thing on the junk heap or give it to a friend (or enemy).
Thanks. I already sold it to my brother who is very happy with it.
I am probably going to buy this-
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

In your opinion does this look like a good fit for me? There is a lot of information in the comments to help me set it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics