Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:46 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times

Advertisements

I dont want to disturb neighbors downstairs but still want music. I read reviews for Pioneer bs22 bookshelf and they were stunning everywhere I looked.

Can I play songs directly from my computeror iphone ? Do I need a receiver? Can all this be done Via WIFI?

What should I look for? I haven't bought a stereo in 18 years-- I think things have changed a tad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:51 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Go to your nearest electronics store and ask for a decent Bluetooth external speaker that works with your Iphone or computer.
Easier when wireless.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:32 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
But they also work with a wire so it will work for your computer, too, if you don't have BT on the computer.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:48 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I dont want to disturb neighbors downstairs but still want music. I read reviews for Pioneer bs22 bookshelf and they were stunning everywhere I looked.

Can I play songs directly from my computeror iphone ? Do I need a receiver? Can all this be done Via WIFI?

What should I look for? I haven't bought a stereo in 18 years-- I think things have changed a tad.
Those Pioneer speakers are probably pretty good for the money.

Have you ever looked into Peachtree Audio? They make integrated amps that also contain a DAC, so you could play files directly from your computer using the DAC and amp in the Peachtree. With the speakers, it should all sound pretty good.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:

The BS22 bookshelves will require a receiver.
If your main music source is phone/computer then a wireless (bluetooth, airplay, wifi) speaker will do just fine.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I got a Sonos Play a month ago. It is a speaker that connects to your network, and can also be networked with several more. You control it via a tablet/phone/computer app. It makes a general assumption you use "cloud music" but it can play local music as long as the device is on and on the network.

It has been great you can set an alarm. You can "store music" on a cloud playlist. Like Pandora, Spotify and the like. And you can get several and control the music for multiple rooms. I have the smallest one and it covers my entire studio apartment with no problems.

I love the alarm. You can choose a playlist or online radio station to wake up to. I kinda want to get one for my bathroom.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:38 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:

If I am not too late to respond, try this: See if your computer has Bluetooth (the iPhone has it). Then purchase a good quality bluetooth speaker that includes a USB port to maintain the iPhone charged while using the speaker.

A lot of the Bluetooth speakers are rechargeable, but also include a power pack (charger with an electrical cord to plug into an AC outlet). However, for home use you don't always need a rechargeable speaker, just one that you can plug to an electrical outlet, and also provides a USB port to keep the iPhone or other device charged.

Look at Amazon, crutchfield, B&H, etc., for a such a speaker. Just don't skimp on price. The best ones usually are more expensive.

Some are listed here:
http://www.soundguys.com/best-bluetooth-speakers-2488/

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-19-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 05:19 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I got a Sonos Play a month ago.
The OP cited some pioneer speakers for $129, so I think Sonos Play are out of the intended price range.

If you haven't bought stereo equipment in 18 years, I think you will be amazed at what they can do with magnets and very small speakers today. This portable speaker advertised below for $20 (sometimes $10 at Walmart) fills a small space very nicely and it only weighs a few ounces. As the battery remains charged for several hours, when you leave you can attach it to your belt buckle and take it with you. The source of your music is your phone with a bluetooth connection.

iHome iBT55 Bluetooth Rechargable Mini Speaker with Carabiner, Black
iHome iBT55 Bluetooth Rechargable Mini Speaker with Carabiner, Black - Walmart.com

If you are really concerned about your neighbors, start with this speaker. If it is not loud enough then upgrade as you can still use the smaller speaker when you are not at home.

Suggestions for upgrades
Cambridge Soundworks The Oontz recently dropped the price on the Oontz from $70 USD to $50,
http://www.theoontz.com/

Bose® - SoundLink® Color Bluetooth Speaker are on sale for $99 (regularly $129.99) at Best Buy

Boom URCHIN blue $149 you can take anywhere including your shower
Urchin Blue, BOOM Movement

Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks Wireless for $230 is a thing of beauty
SoundSticks Wireless | Award-winning Wireless Bluetooth Computer Speakers

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-20-2015 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The OP cited some pioneer speakers for $129, so I think Sonos Play are out of the intended price range.

If you haven't bought stereo equipment in 18 years, I think you will be amazed at what they can do with magnets and very small speakers today. This portable speaker advertised below for $20 (sometimes $10 at Walmart) fills a small space very nicely and it only weighs a few ounces. As the battery remains charged for several hours, when you leave you can attach it to your belt buckle and take it with you. The source of your music is your phone with a bluetooth connection.

iHome iBT55 Bluetooth Rechargable Mini Speaker with Carabiner, Black
iHome iBT55 Bluetooth Rechargable Mini Speaker with Carabiner, Black - Walmart.com

If you are really concerned about your neighbors, start with this speaker. If it is not loud enough then upgrade as you can still use the smaller speaker when you are not at home.

Suggestions for upgrades
Cambridge Soundworks The Oontz recently dropped the price on the Oontz from $70 USD to $50,
OontZ by Cambridge SoundWorks - Top Reviewed Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speakers

Bose® - SoundLink® Color Bluetooth Speaker are on sale for $99 (regularly $129.99) at Best Buy

Boom URCHIN blue $149 you can take anywhere including your shower
Urchin Blue, BOOM Movement

Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks Wireless for $230 is a thing of beauty
SoundSticks Wireless | Award-winning Wireless Bluetooth Computer Speakers
I got the cheapest one: it is $199, the Play 1. Way more than enough sound for probably up to 800 sq ft depending on where you put it. I have a 500 sq ft apt and 50% volume is just about dance party volume in the middle of my apartment.

I love that the Sonos Play covers both me hanging out and party use cases easily.

I also have a mini jambox. This is good but not party volume. Just enough for me. I tote it around my apartment.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times
Thanks everyone. I'm more concerned with sound quality than loudness/volume
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics