Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 AM

174 posts, read 170,273 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My mother is 87 and is not tech-oriented. She has family members that are on social media & I would love to give her access so that she can at least look at what others are posting & maybe, if she reaches a comfort level, reply or correspond.

Years ago she had WebTV, and was ok with that. Later we tried her on a laptop that we had simplified by just putting a few icons on the desktop that she could click, but she had trouble just with general navigation--she's never used a computer. So the mouse was problematic (she has a bit of a tremor). Mentally, she's fine, just a little impatient with learning new things!

So I'm looking at options such as a tablet, where I could just put a few icons on the home screen and hopefully she could learn the swipe motions, etc... (any thoughts on the tablet with the easiest interface? Thinking Apple but welcome opinions--I don't know a lot about the others).

Also starting to look at smart TVs, but I don't know enough about how they operate (keeping all my "not smart" flat screen TVs as long as they will last!) Her TV could use an upgrade, so this may kill 2 birds...

Wondering if anyone has any direct experience with a solution that has worked for them in a similar situation? I'm fairly proficient in most technologies and don't live far from her, so I could be the "Admin" when needed.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I would vote tablet over TV. Apple or Android, I don't think that matters. Either can be configured for pretty easy and simple useage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics