Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:04 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I think the gray is supposed to lessen the chances of burn-in...it's a functionality change albeit not an aesthetically pleasing one
Early widescreen TV's had burn-in problems, but that has long ago been resolved. The only TV's that still have that issue are pretty old at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Correct. Thanks for pointing it out.
* DO NOT
(I've never been on a forum that doesn't let you edit your posts after a set time... so odd...)

Anyway, re: the change... I have to admit if it has changed (I assume it has) I haven't even noticed it. And I watched a short video last night.
Maybe it varies by TV. Do different sources have different apps? I have a Toshiba, and the change is extremely obvious. Some videos even have a black border (depending on how they were uploaded) and then the grey.....kind of like double matting of a framed wall hanging.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I have the Roku app and there are different apps for TVs... even Roku's have different apps sometimes. One for the newer boxes and one for the old. I have one old Roku and one newer and they have different Netflix apps.

I'll pay more attention but I'm sure you're right, that it's now gray mostly. I'm thinking it just wasn't that jarring a change for me?!?

Old 09-14-2016, 10:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Early widescreen TV's had burn-in problems, but that has long ago been resolved. The only TV's that still have that issue are pretty old at this point.
Plasmas took steps to alleviate burn in issues but the problem was never truly fully resolved...Plasmas were being made up until 2014/2015...my plasma is from late 2012 and I specifically avoid displaying content that has those 2 large black vertical bars on the side for long periods of time...OLED also has a slight risk of burn in...burn in risk is minimal but the specific display type being discussed in this thread is a known problem...its also why channel logos in the corner (such as HGTV, ESPN, CNN etc) have gotten softer and the colors are not as bold

Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I have the Roku app and there are different apps for TVs... even Roku's have different apps sometimes. One for the newer boxes and one for the old. I have one old Roku and one newer and they have different Netflix apps.
That's interesting that they'd use different apps. Seems like they are ASKING for headaches and problems the more variations they have.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Plasmas took steps to alleviate burn in issues but the problem was never truly fully resolved...Plasmas were being made up until 2014/2015...my plasma is from late 2012 and I specifically avoid displaying content that has those 2 large black vertical bars on the side for long periods of time...OLED also has a slight risk of burn in...burn in risk is minimal but the specific display type being discussed in this thread is a known problem...its also why channel logos in the corner (such as HGTV, ESPN, CNN etc) have gotten softer and the colors are not as bold
I have no experience with plasma TV's. However, I had a widescreen CRT for 10 years and never had an issue, and I've never seen any problems with my LED either which I've had a couple years. And I watch a LOT of old movies on DVD that always result in black borders.

It's hard to imagine that YouTube would be worried about burn-in at this point, with as long as SmartTV's and LEDs have been on the market. In viewing the way videos load since the "update" (with sections of grey and sections of black), I'd say it's an unintentional programming error.

It's too bad they don't believe in "if it 'ain't' broke, don't fix it". It worked perfect up to now.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:34 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
I have no experience with plasma TV's. However, I had a widescreen CRT for 10 years and never had an issue, and I've never seen any problems with my LED either which I've had a couple years. And I watch a LOT of old movies on DVD that always result in black borders.

It's hard to imagine that YouTube would be worried about burn-in at this point, with as long as SmartTV's and LEDs have been on the market. In viewing the way videos load since the "update" (with sections of grey and sections of black), I'd say it's an unintentional programming error.

It's too bad they don't believe in "if it 'ain't' broke, don't fix it". It worked perfect up to now.
We will agree to disagree about why Youtube is doing it...colors haven't changed on my Roku so its not my fight...may be something else entirely although I don't believe so

Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
That's interesting that they'd use different apps. Seems like they are ASKING for headaches and problems the more variations they have.
If they specifically designed 2 separate ones, maybe. It was more like they rolled out a new update for the app that could only run on the more powerful Roku, so the older Roku is now stuck on the older app.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
If they specifically designed 2 separate ones, maybe. It was more like they rolled out a new update for the app that could only run on the more powerful Roku, so the older Roku is now stuck on the older app.
I only WISH my TV was "stuck" with the older app!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics