Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's necessarily the make of the TV but more of what model in what year the TV was purchased.

Not a TV, but I had a vacuum cleaner that lasted over fifteen years. Actually it was probably longer. I can't remember when I bought it I had it for so long. When it finally died I bought a new one. I was determined to get the same brand because I thought I would be able to have another long-lasting machine. So I bought a top-of-the-line model of that brand.

Boy was that a mistake. Two years later and the new one is nothing but a piece of junk already falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 06:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
I've had good luck with the 42" RCA LED I purchased almost four years ago. Bought it on Walmart's website and it came with free shipping. Amazon has it listed on their site but it's currently unavailable. Just to give you an idea of what it's like I'll include the link. One reason I bought it is it doesn't have a large border around the edges. Whenever my friend stops by for a visit he raves about the picture quality. I've had no problems with it yet, and neither has my mother who I bought one for also about the same time. https://www.amazon.com/RCA-LED42C45R.../dp/B0093YV4R2

Walmart doesn't have that one or the 46" LED available on their site, but they do have a 55" RCA LED on sale for $319.99, with free shipping. Taxes of course would be added on. Think I paid $368 plus taxes for my 42" so the price for this one is pretty darned good for a tv of that size. Wish I could afford to buy it myself. But that would be greedy of me. https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-55-Cl...E45RH/55295563

Edit: Oh wow, I just noticed the 42" on Amazon's site only has 2 HDMI ports. Mine has 4. Everything else looks like what I have. The 55" tv has 3 HDMI ports.

Edit #2: An even bigger wow. Walmart has an Avera 55" LED on sale for $265.66, with free shipping. Even the regular price is only $299.99. Only two reviews but they both give it a 5 star rating. I hadn't looked on their site for a couple years for tv prices, but this is the most I've seen them have free shipping on their tvs. It used to be a few had free shipping, and that offer disappeared in a short amount of time while another brand would then have free shipping on some of their tvs for a short time. Most of the ones I looked at today have free shipping. Still can't get over a 55" tv for $265.66 and $319.99 with free shipping. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Avera-55A...299#about-item

Last edited by OhioJB; 04-01-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-01-2017, 07:41 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I've had good luck with the 42" RCA LED I purchased almost four years ago. Bought it on Walmart's website and it came with free shipping. Amazon has it listed on their site but it's currently unavailable. Just to give you an idea of what it's like I'll include the link. One reason I bought it is it doesn't have a large border around the edges. Whenever my friend stops by for a visit he raves about the picture quality. I've had no problems with it yet, and neither has my mother who I bought one for also about the same time. https://www.amazon.com/RCA-LED42C45R.../dp/B0093YV4R2

Walmart doesn't have that one or the 46" LED available on their site, but they do have a 55" RCA LED for $319.99, with free shipping. Taxes of course would be added on. Think I paid $368 plus taxes for my 42" so the price for this one is pretty darned good for a tv of that size. Wish I could afford to buy it myself. But that would be greedy of me. https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-55-Cl...E45RH/55295563

Edit: Oh wow, I just noticed the 42" on Amazon's site only has 2 HDMI ports. Mine has 4. Everything else looks like what I have. The 55" tv has 3 HDMI ports.
Generally speaking the cheaper the tv the lower number of HDMI ports. Funny thing is that seems like such an odd thing to differentiate one model for another. Should be a cheap upgrade compared to other features.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Generally speaking the cheaper the tv the lower number of HDMI ports. Funny thing is that seems like such an odd thing to differentiate one model for another. Should be a cheap upgrade compared to other features.
I agree, I wouldn't buy a tv unless it had three since that's usually the most I'll use.

Added another tv to my post above, but since it was late some people may not have seen it. Walmart has an Avera 55" LED on sale for $265.66 with free shipping. It has three ports. The link is in my other post. Only two reviews so far, both gave it 5 stars. Never heard of Avera but for that price, I'd consider it if I needed a new tv. Love my RCA though, picture quality is great.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I'm still using a Samsung I bought in 1995 - 22 years old.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:47 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
I agree, I wouldn't buy a tv unless it had three since that's usually the most I'll use.

Added another tv to my post above, but since it was late some people may not have seen it. Walmart has an Avera 55" LED on sale for $265.66 with free shipping. It has three ports. The link is in my other post. Only two reviews so far, both gave it 5 stars. Never heard of Avera but for that price, I'd consider it if I needed a new tv. Love my RCA though, picture quality is great.
So what are the HDMI ports for? My LG (5 yo) doesn't have an audio output so we couldn't hook up an external speaker. Use a wireless one ran through the streaming box but it cuts out all the time & of course ATT says it is not their end with my wifi.

All these electronics are confusing I understood tube TV and tons of wires sitting on the floor behind them with all the things connected to them. LOL

I'll never buy RCA again since they left America for Mexico in 2003/4.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So what are the HDMI ports for? My LG (5 yo) doesn't have an audio output so we couldn't hook up an external speaker. Use a wireless one ran through the streaming box but it cuts out all the time & of course ATT says it is not their end with my wifi.

All these electronics are confusing I understood tube TV and tons of wires sitting on the floor behind them with all the things connected to them. LOL

I'll never buy RCA again since they left America for Mexico in 2003/4.
Two of my HDMI ports are used for my Roku and my PVR (personal video recorder so I can record over the air tv). Once in a great while I watch DVDs, and since I don't own a DVD player I pop them into my laptop and hook it up to the tv using an HDMI cable.

I admit I'm not great with electronics myself. Do the best I can reading instructions which are normally lacking, so I watch Youtube videos or use a search engine.

And I do understand your concern with companies moving production to other countries. I feel the same, except it is so hard to find true American made products. As far as I'm concerned it's not American made if it has foreign parts, otherwise at best it's American assembled.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Two of my HDMI ports are used for my Roku and my PVR (personal video recorder so I can record over the air tv). Once in a great while I watch DVDs, and since I don't own a DVD player I pop them into my laptop and hook it up to the tv using an HDMI cable.

I admit I'm not great with electronics myself. Do the best I can reading instructions which are normally lacking, so I watch Youtube videos or use a search engine.

And I do understand your concern with companies moving production to other countries. I feel the same, except it is so hard to find true American made products. As far as I'm concerned it's not American made if it has foreign parts, otherwise at best it's American assembled.

Thanks for your reply my soundbar, VCR nor DVD are even hooked up to either flat screen now that the kids are grown & on their own. I rarely watch TV just a couple of shows per week mostly Netflix. I watch more stuff on my laptop, mostly YT, than I do the TVs. I don't even have my favorite Mario Wii hooked up either I play games on a tablet now.

To think I laughed at my parents when their electricity went out and their VCR would be blinking 12:00. Karma~ bet they are laughing at me now.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Hmmm, the day after I posted a link to the Avera 55" tv on Walmart's site it became sold out. Probably a coincidence but if anyone here ordered one I'd be interested in reading your review once you get it set up and start using it. They now have it listed at $259 although it is sold out.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Hmmm, the day after I posted a link to the Avera 55" tv on Walmart's site it became sold out. Probably a coincidence but if anyone here ordered one I'd be interested in reading your review once you get it set up and start using it. They now have it listed at $259 although it is sold out.
Avera seems to be a joint venture American/Chinese company that looks to only be about 18mos in the tv business. It gives off the vibe of Vizio 10yrs ago. They sell cheap tvs by the truck load and work out the bugs later. I suspect the reliability may be questionable in the beginning but that remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics