Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You don't need all the info with video, when you view a video what you are seeing is an illusion. The human brain does not process all the information seen by the eye, it could never do it. It will process some of it and fill in the blanks. You are tricking the brain into thinking it's viewing a fluid scene, the information not seen by the eye is created by your brain.

The eye is easy to trick , sound not so much.
That was my point.

The OP should also look up the actual resolution of DVDs (especially) and even BluRay.

FWIW, I was 'let behind the curtain' by a senior ranking technical person at the pre-eminent streaming service and I can assure you their product is far superior DVD.

NB: if you're seeing jittering, like actually as if your eyes are blinking like the OP said, you may want to check your set's refresh rate setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Interesting thread, although I think we're starting to split hairs when it comes to video processing. For me, it's simple. I like HD (Blu-ray quality) the best. I can deal with SD. VHS looks OK on tube TVs, but they look horrible on HD TVs. When it comes to being able to watch a TV show or a game, I don't get very many opportunities to watch my favorite TV shows on the big screen. So, video quality, for me, has to be adequate, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

I'm a bit more of an audiophile however, I can listen to streamed music in the office, because it's background music for me anyway. But, when it comes to listening at home, I need it to be the best quality as possible. I like for it to be great quality in the car, although I recognize that your car isn't exactly a concert hall. Still, I can tell if the MP3 is of low quality, because it will sound like crap in my car. My CDs tend to sound better than what's on my iPOD.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:37 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
The difference you are all hearing between vinyl and CD is 90% the mastering of. Dynamically compress and brickwall limit the digital version(going to CD or download), and of course the vinyl record will sound 'better' - in comparison.

My suggestion: Scout out original-release CD of classic rock artists you listen to - pre-loudness war stuff - and I guarantee you'll be closer to the original sound than something that's just been cranked up, peak-limited, and had "Remastered 24bit" or some such jive printed on the cover.

This brings up another facet of streaming: What master are the streaming houses using for what they send out? At least with your own CDs, YOU control, to some extent, the sound quality of what goes on your device.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ And how did vinyl sound "better"? (ignoring the pops, clicks and such )
I already owned Tesla's "Mechanical Resonance" on CD and was absolutely in love with it. One of those albums where you LOVE every single track. Being their debut album (and wanting to try this test) I bought the album brand new. So it was pop and click free.

The best way to describe it was: fuller, having more depth.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I already owned Tesla's "Mechanical Resonance" on CD and was absolutely in love with it. One of those albums where you LOVE every single track. Being their debut album (and wanting to try this test) I bought the album brand new. So it was pop and click free.

Analog(whether LP, cassette or reel tape) does that. It has a curve to it that digital audio does not. Analog is not flat. It can be made close, but never perfectly. Especially in the deep bass(<80Hz) and high treble(>10kHz) regions of our hearing spectrum. It is that 'roundness' that lends a false sense of fullness to music in analog storage.

Digital, by nature, is ruler flat. If digital's frequency response graph were the edge of a planet, that planet would be bigger than the entire Earthly solar system! So everything is represented exactly as it was transferred to digital, whether DDD, ADD, or AAD. And its dynamic range(amplitude) is limited only by its bit depth. As one pushes the signal 'hotter' in digital recording, it does not bend, or compress slightly, as laying to analog tape does. Beyond full-scale, however, it does something really nasty: it clips!

The differences you hear in digital could also have, especially on CDs from the early 1990s or before, to do with the state of A/D converters at that time. Less than ideal quantization algorithms, etc, could result in more errors, leading to the 'harshness' or coldness some people feel when listening to music in digital format.

Being perfectly flat response-wise, digital cannot, by itself, account for how we hear: Our ears are not equally sensitive from 20Hz to 20kHz. Knowledge of the equal-loudness(Fletcher Munson) phenomenon can guide mixing and mastering engineers to compensate for that mismatch between our hearing and a perfectly flat musical storage and reproduction system.

Any 'differences' you hear between a vinyl or tape and a digital release of something, beyond all of the above, are the result of decisions made and processes applied(spatial, EQ, dynamics) to the audio at the mastering stage.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 10-10-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
FWIW, I was 'let behind the curtain' by a senior ranking technical person at the pre-eminent streaming service and I can assure you their product is far superior DVD.
The point that I made earlier is that it can be better and is most cases will be, there is no set limitations on the quality of streaming audio/video. The limitations are set by the service provider, your own connection speed and to some degree your computer/device.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Yep that is one those rare albums you just listen to whole thing and love every minute of it. If you like that try Five man acoustical jam if you never heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFjChRo8QmU

Old 10-14-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

My suggestion: Scout out original-release CD of classic rock artists you listen to - pre-loudness war stuff - and I guarantee you'll be closer to the original sound than something that's just been cranked up, peak-limited, and had "Remastered 24bit" or some such jive printed on the cover.
Here is an example of what he is talking about. It's YouTube which means the comparison audio has been stepped on but it will drive the point across... They are using two CD's here, one was original CD from the 80's, the other is newer version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjQc0dM4H4

they drive up the amplification which means they need to compress the peaks. You lose all that nuance and dynamics.

Great example from two different modern sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I

Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 AM

745 posts, read 479,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I stream everything but, I still have my dvd's and cd's. We have charter spectrum and they seem to have an outage once a week. No cable/internet=boredom. Anyway, what will you do for entertainment if the internet goes down for more than a few days?
Well, I heard somewhere some people actually read books.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Well, I heard somewhere some people actually read books.
“What’s that?”
"It’s a book.”
"What’s that, then?”
"A non-volatile storage medium. It’s very rare, you should have one.”
― Max Headroom:

Max Headroom is an American satirical science fiction television series that aired in the United States on ABC from March 1987 to May 1988. The series is set in a futuristic dystopia ruled by an oligarchy of television networks. Off switches are illegal on televisions.

Despite having only 14 episodes it is remember fondly by old geeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics