Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 04:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

We have a Roku 2 and it's pretty awful. Is there something with similar functionality that works better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:07 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
fire-stick.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
We have a Roku 2 and it's pretty awful. Is there something with similar functionality that works better?
Tells us what doesn't work properly on your Roku?

Maybe it's not your Roku which means that buying a Firestick or something similar would not solve your problem.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
OP, I agree with Karlsch, it might not be the Roku (or maybe you got a lemon). I have half a dozen Rokus of different types on TVs ranging from 10+ years old (old connections) to the newest stick. All of them work flawlessly 99% of the time. For the 1% of the time when there's a glitch, normally all that's needed is unplugging/replugging and it's fixed.

Are you using it on an older or newer TV? What are the connections?

Old 10-29-2017, 12:14 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I agree with Karlsch, it might not be the Roku (or maybe you got a lemon). I have half a dozen Rokus of different types on TVs ranging from 10+ years old (old connections) to the newest stick. All of them work flawlessly 99% of the time. For the 1% of the time when there's a glitch, normally all that's needed is unplugging/replugging and it's fixed.

Are you using it on an older or newer TV? What are the connections?
Samsung LCD TV. The newest we own, but about 5 years old. It is painfully slow to do just about anything. It crashes when I try to stop or fast forward about 25% of the time. Sometimes it crashes right in the middle of a YouTube clip. The Roku interface isn't great for some things, either. If I just want to watch something specific that I know ahead of time I want to watch it's fine, but for browsing it's pretty tedious. And if I start watching something and want to watch something else, it's easiest to just go all the way back to the home screen and try again.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:30 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Samsung LCD TV. The newest we own, but about 5 years old. It is painfully slow to do just about anything. It crashes when I try to stop or fast forward about 25% of the time. Sometimes it crashes right in the middle of a YouTube clip. The Roku interface isn't great for some things, either. If I just want to watch something specific that I know ahead of time I want to watch it's fine, but for browsing it's pretty tedious. And if I start watching something and want to watch something else, it's easiest to just go all the way back to the home screen and try again.
Hmmm. Sounds like you may have a bad Roku, or maybe you are trying to do things that it's not great at. All I do with the Roku is watch streaming video through amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and a few other channels that I subscribe to (some of which are free, e.g. Sky News from the UK). It has been, as I wrote before, EXTREMELY reliable for those things. In fact I bought my first Roku because my first so-called "smart TV" was HORRIBLE at streaming video -- the video kept dropping after about 10 minutes. After this happened multiple times I just gave up and bought a Roku (although I was annoyed at having to buy something that was supposed to come "standard" with the "smart" TVs!). Literally zero problems since, i.e., problems that aren't solved by simply unplugging/re-plugging, which takes about 30 seconds and happens very rarely.

I have never just "browsed" through Roku -- i.e., if I know a particular show is on Hulu, I just go straight to Hulu. So alas, I can't help if what you are doing is just looking for something to watch. Normally I know which "service" I want, whether it be Netflix or amazon or Hulu or whatever -- i.e., I am not just "looking." Maybe the Roku isn't great for that, although others would have to chime in as I simply don't USE it for that.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time! Normally Rokus are VERY reliable.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:39 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
If the YouTube issue started recently, it may be due to YouTube changing the app. It seems to take forever for the new YouTube app to replace the old one and when finally fully operating, it was still refreshing in the middle of viewing or it jumped to the next video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics