Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,131 times

Advertisements

I have he xfinity triple play (with gigabit internet ~ 990Mbps speed) and don't want to use their modem/router if I can.

I have looked around for a modem that supports telephony but can't seem to find one. The one they use is an arris but looking on google for that router, doesn't look that it is sold anywhere.

Any recommendation welcome. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM

881 posts, read 1,814,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
I have he xfinity triple play (with gigabit internet ~ 990Mbps speed) and don't want to use their modem/router if I can.

I have looked around for a modem that supports telephony but can't seem to find one. The one they use is an arris but looking on google for that router, doesn't look that it is sold anywhere.

Any recommendation welcome. thanks
Did you only get the Arris as the option when you put in your zip code and download speed?

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

direct link to purchase to amazon here:
XFINITY My New Modem

I get 4 options in my zip code and highest speed. , the Arris SB8200, Motorola MB8600, Netgear C7800 and Netgear CM1000.

You need make sure your modem is one of their supported ones, as you need call them up and give the your modem details to properly configure it to work on their network.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,817 times
public they are not in your local best buy store. they are for cable providers.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
The last I looked into this you had to buy the modem from Comcast if you wanted one that supported their VOIP service. They had very limited places you could get them and they were not cheap. My solution was to cancel the VOIP service and buy just the regular modem. That was few years ago so I don't if it has changed.

The other thing is be careful about anything you find online, especially ebay or CL. they might be stolen from Comcast and not only will you lose your money but you'll have to return it to them.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
I have RCN and they use some of the same equipment as COMCAST. As you know, the TM822R is 8x4 and limited to 300 Mbps. If you want to go to a gigabit speed, they leave the TM822R on your home coaxial network and disable the modem, and add a second DOCSIS 3.1 modem with 24 bonded channels.

However they do not have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with an eMTA, so you end up with two boxes on your system.

The financials are not really an issue as RCN charges only $2 for the TM822R. I understand COMCAST charges $10 which is more of a bother if it is only functioning as a telephone box.

The Touchstone TM3402 is a DOCSIS 3.1 home telephony modem for customers and subscribers who are looking for gigabit high speed data services and telephony services, in a single unit. However, RCN will not hook these up for telephone service.

Be sure you talk to someone knowledgeable in customer service.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 PM

The device I have is the : ARRIS TG3482G

Device Type Gateway
Download Speed Up to 952 Mbps

Voice/Telephone enabled Yes

WiFi enabled Yes

DOCSIS Channels 32 down × 8 up

DOCSIS Version DOCSIS 3.1

IPv6 Yes

Why do I need a DOCSIS 3.1? My previous modem which was a Netgear C7000 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZUPOF7Y/ref=cm_sw_su_dp) could achieve the same download speed but did not have the telephone capability.

I was hoping that there would be more choices out there

Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
The device I have is the : ARRIS TG3482G
Is that model even available retail?
https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...ateway-compare

Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Is that model even available retail?
https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...ateway-compare
I looked everywhere but cannot find it. For some reasons the only modem/router/voice that find is a docsis 3.0 from Arris.

Is 3.1 that new that no other manufacturer makes this triple combo? I'm surprised that netgear hasn't made that combo yet apart from their CM1000.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Seriously just need to cancel that voip line. Speak with your dollars. "Oh, but it's cheaper with the phone'. Yea, because there is no extra cost to them to provide you a service over the internet that you already pay for. This is how they lock you in for life. More and more people have been dumping those. AND cable. And what's happening? Prices are dropping across the board.
Dump the phone or dump the provider.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I looked everywhere but cannot find it. For some reasons the only modem/router/voice that find is a docsis 3.0 from Arris.
My cable company (RCN) will not support any bring your own telephone equipment. If I decide to go above 155 Mbps I will need a modem that can bond more than 8 channels. But they will leave my old equipment (Arris TM822G) on the home network and disconnect the modem portion and add either a rental or BYOM modem that can bond 24 channels.

You should find out the policy of your cable company.
Here are two devices, but

Modem and telephone
Touchstone® TM3402 eMTA | ARRIS
TOUCHSTONE® TM3402 EMTA / DOCSIS® 3.1 Modem with 2 voice ports

Modem and telephone and router and wifi access point
Touchstone® TG3452 Cable Voice Gateway | ARRIS
TOUCHSTONE® TG3452 CABLE VOICE GATEWAY DOCSIS® 3.1 Gateway with 802.11ac Wi-Fi & MoCA®2.0

I don't see these devices on retail outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics