Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 05:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times

Advertisements

Just as an aside, Comcast Xfinity has so many value-added aspects and incredible array of channels that I would never cancel it unless I was not financially able to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Found the Comcast employee.

What "value added aspects" I'd love to know??? Your 'home phone'?
And how many channels out of that vast array do you REALLY watch regularly?

Old 12-03-2019, 02:37 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara7788 View Post
I heard about Comcast Xfinity, but I've never tried it. I cut the cord about half a year ago. Now I use Amazon Firestick and I'm pleased with it. I installed a Mobdro app https://www.firesticktricks.com/mobdro-firestick.html. This is IPTV service that offers me access to live TV channels from around the world for free. So, in case you are looking for the alternative to a cable TV, Firestick can be a good choice.
We have Comcast/Xfinity for wifi Internet only...no cable TV at all. Cost is ~$70.00/month for mid-speed. I do get some buffering on some stations some of the time. We use 2 smart TV's, so no Roku type box needed.

I bought my own wireless router that doubles as a cable modem, so returned the Comcast box they were renting to me.

We have an antenna in the attic that sends local live programming to both TV's we use, but that buffers at times too on some channels and at certain times...like during big NCAA Football games on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox

So, I've cut the cord, but I'm not where I'd like to be on getting more live TV, and eliminating the buffering on both the wifi and antenna viewing we do.

What is Firestick? A box, or software, or both?

Friends also have told me to look into SlingTV...how is that different from Firestick?

Can you get live broadcasting with it. or just programming in a can? Are you getting buffering with it?

Thx!

Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We have Comcast/Xfinity for wifi Internet only...no cable TV at all. Cost is ~$70.00/month for mid-speed. I do get some buffering on some stations some of the time. We use 2 smart TV's, so no Roku type box needed.

I bought my own wireless router that doubles as a cable modem, so returned the Comcast box they were renting to me.

We have an antenna in the attic that sends local live programming to both TV's we use, but that buffers at times too on some channels and at certain times...like during big NCAA Football games on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox

So, I've cut the cord, but I'm not where I'd like to be on getting more live TV, and eliminating the buffering on both the wifi and antenna viewing we do.

Friends also have told me to look into SlingTV...how is that different from Firestick?

Can you get live broadcasting with it. or just programming in a can? Are you getting buffering with it?

Thx!
If you’re not a heavy user you should be fine, but in states where it’s allowed Comcast puts a 1TB monthly limit on data - and charges when you exceed it.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
An antenna should not be buffering?!?!?

Quote:
A box with software on it that allows you to install services like:

Quote:
Friends also have told me to look into SlingTV...
which would give you access to all your local channels.

Quote:
how is that different from Firestick?
SLingTV would get installed onto the Firestick (or Roku).

Quote:
It's mostly LIVE TV. T=Buffering isn't a function of the app or the device... that is strictly your network or internet.
'

Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Cut the cord earlier this year. Have Gbit internet via FiOS. And get local channels using an HD antenna.
That said, I just took advantage of the Thanksgiving sale and got a Fire Stick. It also came with a deal ($15 off SlingTV for 3 months). So now have some of the the sports channels I was looking for (Sports is by far the biggest gap for me after cutting the cord).

Will likely go to YouTube TV once the SlingTV deal goes back to regular prices.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:29 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
We have sling but once football season is done I'm going purely Disney+, ESPN, HUlu, Amazon Prime, and netflix which should be around $30/month.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Another really good and free option is PlutoTV. Their content seems to be getting better. They have commercial breaks. Also, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ are what I use. The Disney because I have an unlimited plan with Verizon. Dropped the land line ten years ago. Between on air TV and streaming options cord cutting is pretty darn easy.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:10 AM

Crackle is another good free one. Sony's streaming service.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:59 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Unless you are using an antennae and paying $0 for your media you are not "cutting the cord" you are simply paying a different one or reducing the amount you pay the same ISP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics