Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And free Pay Per View? Gotta be legit...
Hey i claim the 5th.. lol

and never had any issues with them for over a year now. Picture and sound is better then what i can get locally.

btw, they have a apk for android and yes they do have for kodi, and its all i ever needed to cut the cord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
We rarely watch TV. When we do we only watch HBO, CW, AMC, SYFY, BBC America, and the Weather Channel.
Occasionally will watch NASCAR or football.

We already have HULU was thinking of doing HULU Live TV but doesn't appear to have the channel's we watch.
Usually if you get AMC you will get BBC America as they are owned by the same company along with BBC World News, IFC, Sundance TV, and WE TV.
The minute you say SYFY You are talking about COMCAST which means a minimum of $40 streaming service. Youtube Live TV has AMC, BBCAmerica, and SYFY. CW you can watch on it's own app, and HBO standalone is $15.

Hulu Live TV, Youtube TV, and Direct TV Now are $40 apiece, and they all have these channels in common.

CNN
HLN
CNBC
Fox News
Fox Business

TBS
TNT
TCM

Bravo
USA
Syfy
History
truTV
E!

Disney
Disney JR
Freeform
Cartoon

ESPN
ESPN 2
Fox Sports 1

Beyond that they have different selections of minor channels. Personally, I think YouTube TV is the best option because it has all the movie channels: AMC, FXM, IFC, and Sundance plus it also has The CW integrated in with the package.

Sling TV $40 option seems to have more regional sports networks and the NFL network, but is missing FOX News, Fox Business News, CNBC, and HLN. In fact Sling TV only has CNN, Newsy, Cheddar, Cheddar Big News and Bloomberg as news channel options.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
You've done the hard part by zeroing in on the networks you can't live without. Now experience the maximum savings by settling for watching your favorite shows a season or two after they air. Then you can binge them on streaming services for a lot less than you'd pay to get their original channels live.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You've done the hard part by zeroing in on the networks you can't live without. Now experience the maximum savings by settling for watching your favorite shows a season or two after they air. Then you can binge them on streaming services for a lot less than you'd pay to get their original channels live.
Any chance you will see this streaming package
  1. Southeastern Conference Network
  2. Atlantic Coast Conference Network
  3. Big Ten Network (BTN)
  4. BTN (alt)
  5. CBS Sports
  6. NBC Sports Philadelphia
  7. NBC Sports
  8. NBCSN
  9. Olympic Channel
  10. ESPN
  11. ESPN 2
  12. ESPNEWS
  13. ESPN-U
  14. Tennis
  15. Golf
  16. Fox Sports 1
  17. Fox Sports 2
  18. Outdoor
  19. NFL Network
  20. MLB Network
  21. NHL Network
  22. TBS (NCAA March Madness)
  23. ABC Network
  24. CBS Network
  25. NBC Network
  26. FOX Network

Old 07-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Any chance you will see this streaming package
  1. Southeastern Conference Network
  2. Atlantic Coast Conference Network
  3. Big Ten Network (BTN)
  4. BTN (alt)
  5. CBS Sports
  6. NBC Sports Philadelphia
  7. NBC Sports
  8. NBCSN
  9. Olympic Channel
  10. ESPN
  11. ESPN 2
  12. ESPNEWS
  13. ESPN-U
  14. Tennis
  15. Golf
  16. Fox Sports 1
  17. Fox Sports 2
  18. Outdoor
  19. NFL Network
  20. MLB Network
  21. NHL Network
  22. TBS (NCAA March Madness)
  23. ABC Network
  24. CBS Network
  25. NBC Network
  26. FOX Network
That would be an expensive package. Sports networks charge the carrier between 75c and $4 per month per subscriber for carriage. I've never seen an all-sports package like that, because some of the networks are supposed to be carried on a basic tier.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, so Wife and I have been paying for our own Cable. Cable has been a nightmare and it's only been 2 month's bahaha. After having our $120 monthly bill get random charges to total $301.50 for a month were done! We will still keep them since they are the only one in the area that can do Internet.

With that said we want to replace cable with streaming service.

We rarely watch TV. When we do we only watch HBO, CW, AMC, SYFY, BBC America, and the Weather Channel. Occasionally will watch NASCAR or football.

We already have HULU was thinking of doing HULU Live TV but doesn't appear to have the channel's we watch.

Any reccomemdations?
Sling TV and the Roku have everything you want, and is by far the least expensive option. Sling TV Orange: AMC, SyFy, BBC America, and ESPN/2/3 (for NASCAR and football); Sling TV Blue: SyFy Channel. Orange + Blue is $40/month - Sling Orange (if you can live without SyFy) is $25/mo. HBO is $10/mo extra.

Both CW and the Weather Channel are available as free apps (no subscriptions required) on the Roku. Pay in advance for two months of Sling TV and receive a free Roku Express (a $29.99 savings) or a Roku Ultra for $49.99 (a $50.00 savings):

https://www.sling.com/devices/roku

https://www.sling.com/devices/roku1

For the NFL, NASCAR, and other sports on the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox), watch them in HD for free over-the-air using a digital antenna (starting for under $10):

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Ho...words=homeworx

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 07-04-2018 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 AM

My parents are in their 80s and living on social security. Our cable company charges $40 above the line for basic cable and $35 in surcharges taxes and fees. They also pay $22 a month for the DVR and two remote boxes so they can watch on three televisions.
If I bring up streaming, they insist that they are too old to learn something new. It's also why they pay $500 a year for the newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
That would be an expensive package. Sports networks charge the carrier between 75c and $4 per month per subscriber for carriage.
I suspect an all sports package would be less than what my parents pay. My brother was paying $1100 a year plus drinks for season tickets for he and his wife to see minor league hockey.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:37 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
If I bring up streaming, they insist that they are too old to learn something new.
Kill me if I ever say that.....

Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Quote:
Sling TV $40 option seems to have more regional sports networks and the NFL network, but is missing FOX News, Fox Business News, CNBC, and HLN. In fact Sling TV only has CNN, Newsy, Cheddar, Cheddar Big News and Bloomberg as news channel options.
Sling TV's News Extra:

Orange ($5): BBC World News, HLN, Weather Station, Euronews, theblaze, Fusion, RT

Blue ($5): MSNBC, CNBC, BBC World News, HLN, Weather Station, Euronews, theblaze, France 24, RT

Note: Lots of free news apps are available on the Roku, including CBS News, NBC News, ABC News, PBS, Sky News, Reuters, DW (Germany), France 24, NHK (Japan), Al Jazeera, ILTV (Israel)

Sling TV's Sports Extra:

Orange ($5): ESPNews, ESPN U, Six Pac-12 Regional Networks, SEC/+ Network, ACC Network, NBA TV, NHL Network, BasesLoaded, Stadium/2/3, motorsports.tv, beinsports (soccer), Outside.tv, Univision Deportes

Blue ($10): NFL RedZone, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, Six Pac-12 Regional Networks, NBA TV, NHL Network, motorsports.tv, beinsports (soccer), Outside.tv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics