Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting a new TV tomorrow; there are some sales that are looking good. I want something with at least 2 HDMI ports and hopefully 1 usb port (maybe 2). I've noticed that the ones with 720p are less expensive than the ones with 1080p; I think this has to do with the picture - is there a noticeable difference in quality of the picture between the two settings? I also want the TV to be HDTV, LED, no more than 32", and hopefully a Smart TV.

I haven't bought a TV in years. I will also probably be getting a dvd player to play my many dvds; my current TV is a combo TV/dvd player that doesn't work too well when it comes to playing dvds; so I thought that I should buy a dvd player before they stop making them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I'm considering getting a new TV tomorrow; there are some sales that are looking good. I want something with at least 2 HDMI ports and hopefully 1 usb port (maybe 2). I've noticed that the ones with 720p are less expensive than the ones with 1080p; I think this has to do with the picture - is there a noticeable difference in quality of the picture between the two settings? I also want the TV to be HDTV, LED, no more than 32", and hopefully a Smart TV.

I haven't bought a TV in years. I will also probably be getting a dvd player to play my many dvds; my current TV is a combo TV/dvd player that doesn't work too well when it comes to playing dvds; so I thought that I should buy a dvd player before they stop making them.
The resolution 1080p (p means progressive which means every line on the TV refreshes with every cycle) isn't particularly useful in 32" televisions. A 720p will also give you 1080i (i means interlaced or every other line is refreshed with each cycle). Interlaced is slightly fuzzier if you are watching a signal with lots of motion (like a football in play)

Probably the cheapest and widely sold TV that meets your specifications
TCL 32" Class HD (720P) Roku Smart LED TV (32S305) TCLWalmart # 570059582 $129.99

TCL 32" Class HD (720P) Roku Smart LED TV (32S305):
Key Features:
Screen Size (Diag): 31.5
Backlight Type: LED
Resolution: 720p
Effective Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Smart Functionality: Roku TV
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: NA
Viewable Angle (H/V): 178 degrees/178 degrees
Number of Colors: 16.7 Million
OSD Language: English/Spanish/French
Speakers/Power Output: 5w + 5w
Surround Sound Mode: NA
TV without stand: 28.9" x 17.1" x 3.2"
TV with stand: 28.9" x 19.2" x 7.2"
Connectivity:
HDMI: 3 x HDMI 1.4b, one of which is ARC Audio Return Channel for speakers
Headphone: NA
Optical Digital Audio:1
RCA Audio L + R: NA
RF (Coaxial): 1
USB 2.0: 1

This television also has 5 watt speakers. They are not going to play symphonic music that an audiophile will love, but the 2 or 3 watt speakers are difficult to hear.

If you are buying an inexpensive television, I would not get one with a 2 or 3 watt speakers.

Your room should have a good wifi signal as you cannot use ethernet cable. Only very expensive televisions have plug for ethernet, and you are better off buying it as components.

Built in DVD players tend to break easily as they are usually inexpensive components. Best Buy used to sell a lot of them under their Insignia brand, but they discontinued all models. By the way, Insignia sells the only $70 television that I know about (dumb TV). My father has one on his desk as you have to be within two feet of it to see it properly.
https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp...10NA19/6164904

A useful feature if you are going to hook up an antenna is Live TV Pause (up to 90 minutes) but it requires a flash drive with a minimum capacity of 16GB (normally ~ $6). If you are not using a antenna don't bother as it won't work.
https://tclusa.helpjuice.com/20272-r...-live-tv-pause

Roku Channel is relatively new, and offers news and older movies (usually over 10 years) free (with commercials) so that you get at least something without paying for subscription service.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-10-2018 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 10:09 PM

The TV set I mentioned in previous post is a TCL series #3. Series #1 are dumb TVs, and there is no series #2.

TCL 43" CLASS 4-SERIES 4K UHD HDR ROKU SMART TV - 43S405 for $370 (smallest series #4) is probably the cheapest TV you can buy with an ethernet connection.

So it is certainly cheaper to get a wifi extender if you don't h ave good wifi coverage in the room you want to use.

You get a premium picture with series #5, but what gets great reviews in terms of quality for dollar spent is the TCL series #6. Series #6 TVs are $650 and $999, but they compare very well with TV's that cost much more.

Series #6 review

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-10-2018 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Be aware that if you buy a smart t.v....which I recommend you do...it has to be programmed. When I bought mine, I came to the conclusion that if I hadn't paid for full set up, I would have probably spent hours figuring out how to program it. And I'm not a dummy when it comes to computers (I have a degree in computer programming).

Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I will also probably be getting a dvd player to play my many dvds; my current TV is a combo TV/dvd player that doesn't work too well when it comes to playing dvds; so I thought that I should buy a dvd player before they stop making them.
I did see a 32" combo player for $129.99 also at Walmart. Three HDMI ports, but no Streaming.

Sceptre 32" Class HD (720P) LED TV (E325BD-SR) with Built-in DVD Player

Old 08-13-2018, 09:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
A 720p will also give you 1080i (i means interlaced or every other line is refreshed with each cycle). Interlaced is slightly fuzzier if you are watching a signal with lots of motion (like a football in play)
This may have been true for tube sets, but not for LCD panels. No interlace on them. Instead, the panels are driven by electronics that up- or down-scale as needed to match the native panel resolution.

720p is the resolution of DVDs.

Fast motion sharpness, as in sports, depends on a number of factors like refresh rate, but not on interlace, on LCD panels.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Regina, in laymans terms the 1080 can display more detail. This may or may not be needed depending on the size of the set and the viewing distance. For example a 50 inch set you may only start seeing the difference of 1080 over 720 at a viewing distance of ten feet or closer assuming everything else is equal.

Regardless you most likely will be able to see the difference in most cases especially if it's larger TV. the

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Interlaced is slightly fuzzier if you are watching a signal with lots of motion (like a football in play)
Interlaced is actually smoother as long as the hardware and software supports native playback. NTSC is a little less than 30FPS, for interlaced each frame is divided into two frames.

See how the lights appear to be two beams, that is actually the same beam because they are moving extremely fast. There is tow fields, odd and even. For native display of this you first paint the odd field, then the even filed and then the odd filed of the next frame replaces the odd field. This is extremely smooth.

The problem is if the hardware or software does not handle it natively. For example it may take one filed and simply discard it effectively reducing the resolution. The other thing it may do is blend them but this blending doesn't work very well for fast action.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This may have been true for tube sets, but not for LCD panels. No interlace on them. Instead, the panels are driven by electronics that up- or down-scale as needed to match the native panel resolution.

720p is the resolution of DVDs.

Fast motion sharpness, as in sports, depends on a number of factors like refresh rate, but not on interlace, on LCD panels.

Interlace is native on tube sets and DVD is almost always 480i.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Interlace is native on tube sets and DVD is almost always 480i.
DVD? You're right, but I looked into it a bit, and DVD specs cover several resolutions. Don't know what commercial DVD movies are, (probably what you say?) since no labels say.

It does point though, to the importance of good up-scaling. We bought a new set last fall because RTings (best website I've found for information) described it as having excellent upscaling, and it makes a huge difference with DVD sources.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
NTSC has been superceded by ATSC. There are many supported resolutions -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_s...264/MPEG-4_AVC

I recommend anyone contemplating a new TV purchase read up not just the pixels but the broader issues of how HDR results in a better range of colors and contrast --

https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolut...they-all-mean/

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hd...ould-you-care/

Though there are some manufacturers selling 32" TVs with HDR in Europe and Japan they are not as widely available in North America. That may change as the 2019 models will soon be introduced at the annual installer-oriented CEDIA show in San Diego the end of the first week in September.

If you want to buy something in the stores NOW one of the few models in North America widely available HDTV with 1080p is this model -- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-3...Id=301&ref=212

About the only 720p 32" set with HDR is this model - https://www.abt.com/product/122564/L...LK540BPUA.html

The specs from the site say this model is 1080p and HDR equipped - https://www.abt.com/product/123408/S...5300AFXZA.html Not sure if that is accurate...

You need not worry about "DVD players being discontinued". All the available BluRay players are backwards compatible with DVDs as is the newest gaming system -- https://www.reviewgeek.com/1626/dont...x-one-instead/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics