Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

I prefer not to have someone listening electronically to everything I say, whether to tailor advertising to me or to monitor whether my conversations are subversive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 02:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
True, but that isn't what you wrote. That would be impressive, although I don't know that I want either company synthesizing a complex, subjective answer for me.
What I am talking about is artificial intelligence, not just a voice interface. I know that we are not even close to it.

You have a point about either company synthesizing answers. As it is, they not only track all of your activity on your PC's and smartphones, they now track all of your voice activity as well. Both Amazon and Google do this.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I prefer not to have someone listening electronically to everything I say, whether to tailor advertising to me or to monitor whether my conversations are subversive.
I am with you on this but it's not much different than having your other activities tracked. At least those are voluntary to a degree. When you do a search, you type it in, you kind of know that. With Alexa you know that it's always listening, you never really know what it's recording.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:36 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
If you've got a smartphone, it is happening anyway.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
If you've got a smartphone, it is happening anyway.
That is debatable as a smartphone is not always "listening". I'm not a conspiracy theorist so that would fall into that category. A device such as an echo is actually designed to be always listening.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That is debatable as a smartphone is not always "listening". I'm not a conspiracy theorist so that would fall into that category. A device such as an echo is actually designed to be always listening.
It's no more of a conspiracy theory than the Echo listening for anything other than the wake word and it is harder to disprove. At least with the assistants, you can monitor your internet traffic fairly easily.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
None of the above, I still don't see the point. When the echo or google home or whatever actually gets artificial intelligence (AI), I may look at it and I know that's a long time in coming. When I can ask it the same thing I would type into a google search and it would come back with answers, that would impress me. Right now it just adds convenience.
My understanding was that that's exactly what they do--you come back with the same answers you'd get by typing a search.

However, from what I gather, the real convenience is not just voice search, but that first the internet of things is now really becoming a reality, and also (at least for Google) your phone becomes part of that setup. You can leave your phone charging, ask google home for directions to your new dentists office, send that to the phone, and turn off the lights on your way out.

That's pretty cool.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:28 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Quote:
Ship's sailed on this one.

But also it's not something I've ever really been paranoid about. Just the world we leave in.

Maybe one day if I ever run for political office then it becomes an issue.

My life is not that scandalous, and I'm not scheming some world domination. I'm ok with some faceless algorithm's listening, whatever.

What's interesting is some of us have lived with that change. I wonder how life will be for those being born into it--those being born with their baby pictures being posted online every day. Not anything "wrong" per se, but fascinating from an social perspective.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:37 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I’ll be in a tiny apartment so won’t be as elaborate. Mainly I’d like to be able to send commands to my phone or ask google to do simple tasks lol me tell the weather.

I’ll also want some sound that’s better than the TV that has a little punchiness but with minimal imprint.

Also a speaker that can stream music from Chromecast audio/google, doesn’t have to be the best speaker money can buy but also again small with some depth in the sound.

If i can get various affordable speakers into this setup, and google can stream music or interact with them (at least for playing music) that’d be awesome!

Now in terms of commands and voice, are all the Hoogles good? I.e. would a mini work if it’s setup with other devices?
OK so all you really need is a Google Home or Mini (I would go Home just for the better sound quality... mini kind of sucks there) and a soundbar for the TV. Most soundbars support bluetooth so they pair up to your phone very easily and sound pretty great. So your TV sounds good and you can stream from your phone or your mini / home!

Old 12-12-2018, 07:41 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
What's interesting is some of us have lived with that change.
What's interesting to me is how some people can't just mind their own business...

Quote:
That's great. Why don't you just stay out of this conversation then, Mr. Tin Foil hat? Read the first post again... that has exactly zero to to with yknow... what was actually ASKED. No one asked for your opinion on what these devices may be up to.
Are you trying to save OP?
You totally derailed this conversation.

Some people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics