Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times

Advertisements

Hi - anyone familiar with MOCA connections? Our wireless connection to our LG TV is unreliable so I thought I would try a MOCA connection, but I can't seem to get it to work. The set-up seems straightforward. I connected the MOCA (Motorola brand) to my coax connection coming out of the wall, then connected the MOCA to my Xfinity cable box. From the box, the TV is connected via HDMI and then I connected the ethernet connection from the TV to the MOCA box. The 3 lights on the MOCA box are all lit and the cable connection works as I am able to watch TV, but I still cannot get the TV to connect via the ethernet connection to the web.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if it's something with the TV settings, but I don't see anything that I can tweak to change how the TV connects to the Ethernet cable. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:00 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Default $6.53 Filter, MoCA"POE" Filter for Cable TV Coaxial Networking

http://www.tikilive.com/manual/wp-co...ca-adapter.jpg
You have to be connected to your router as well

MOCA is a way to carry Local Area Network over coaxial instead of CAT-5E (standard ethernet cable with 4 twisted pairs).

Another issue
https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-C.../dp/B00DC8IEE6

If you were just using using coaxial instead of CAT-5e (four pairs twisted or "ethernet cable") your connection is straightforward. But most people using MOCA are utilizing pre existing coaxial cable in a house (or coaxial running internet, or Cable TV) so the network of cables goes outside to the street.

An inexpensive filter on the POE (Point of Entry) into your home will keep your signal from running outside, and also will stop unwanted noise from entry into the home.

COMMENT
Personally, I find that using new CAT-5E cable is more reliable than MOCA or Powerline Ethernet Adapter . Some people don't want to lay wire as they find it unsightly. I just drill into the basement and run it along the basement ceiling and back through a hole to the upstairs. Of course, the difficulty depends on the layout of your home.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-16-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 02:39 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Personally I would upgrade the router.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
It might be an issue with Xfinity 1. Those boxes tend to snag all the available bandwidth. You may be able to get a tech out to make it work.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
http://www.tikilive.com/manual/wp-co...ca-adapter.jpg
You have to be connected to your router as well

MOCA is a way to carry Local Area Network over coaxial instead of CAT-5E (standard ethernet cable with 4 twisted pairs).

Another issue
https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-C.../dp/B00DC8IEE6

If you were just using using coaxial instead of CAT-5e (four pairs twisted or "ethernet cable") your connection is straightforward. But most people using MOCA are utilizing pre existing coaxial cable in a house (or coaxial running internet, or Cable TV) so the network of cables goes outside to the street.

An inexpensive filter on the POE (Point of Entry) into your home will keep your signal from running outside, and also will stop unwanted noise from entry into the home.

COMMENT
Personally, I find that using new CAT-5E cable is more reliable than MOCA or Powerline Ethernet Adapter . Some people don't want to lay wire as they find it unsightly. I just drill into the basement and run it along the basement ceiling and back through a hole to the upstairs. Of course, the difficulty depends on the layout of your home.
Wired is always better, but in my current home EVERY room including the basement is finished. MOCA works well if you avoid using splitters. I use the coax just as a transmission medium between 2 Actiontec adapters.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Wired is always better, but in my current home EVERY room including the basement is finished. MOCA works well if you avoid using splitters. I use the coax just as a transmission medium between 2 Actiontec adapters.
That is perfectly acceptable to spend $170 on a pair of Actiontec adapters or $100 on a pair of NETGEAR - Powerline 2000 to avoid tearing up your walls.But you seem to understand that it is simply a way to use a different transmission medium.

I am not sure if the OP understands that he needs to connect to the router. On the other hand I don't exactly know what a Xfinity cable box is composed of. There are a number of new boxes that combine routers, wifi access points, modems and possibly other functions. Since he hasn't clarified, I can't tell what he has actually done.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Thanks everyone - I wasn't clear i had to connect to a router. Our router is currently in our office in a completely separate area of the house and it wouldn't be possible to relocate. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:35 PM

Default One possible setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Thanks everyone - I wasn't clear i had to connect to a router. Our router is currently in our office in a completely separate area of the house and it wouldn't be possible to relocate. Thanks for the info.
This image shows one possible setup. The signal comes from the router into one bridge, and then there are three other bridges in other rooms which convert the signal back to CAT5-e (4 twisted pairs) called ethernet cable in the diagram and feed three devices.

But basically what you are doing is using pre-installed coaxial cable in the house instead of running your own ethernet cable. A powerline adapter is trying to do the same thing using pre-existing electrical wires. Obviously it would be best if both plugs are on the same circuit, but most of the time that would not be possible.

I've never tried powerline as I have access to the ceiling of my basement to run my own ethernet cables. A 5 port gigabit switch costs less than $18 instead of $170 for a pair of Actiontec MOCA bridges.
Attached Thumbnails
MOCA Connection?-moca-setup.jpg  

Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,922 times
MoCA technology delivers real-world home networking speeds over 900 Mbps. And because it's a wired connection, you can count on quality.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
This image shows one possible setup. The signal comes from the router into one bridge, and then there are three other bridges in other rooms which convert the signal back to CAT5-e (4 twisted pairs) called ethernet cable in the diagram and feed three devices.

But basically what you are doing is using pre-installed coaxial cable in the house instead of running your own ethernet cable. A powerline adapter is trying to do the same thing using pre-existing electrical wires. Obviously it would be best if both plugs are on the same circuit, but most of the time that would not be possible.

I've never tried powerline as I have access to the ceiling of my basement to run my own ethernet cables. A 5 port gigabit switch costs less than $18 instead of $170 for a pair of Actiontec MOCA bridges.

I like MoCa.

I know this is an old thread. The Actiontech FIOS provided routers can function as MoCa bridges. There is a speed difference between the old ones and current Quantum routers They work much better than powerline adapters if the coax is already there. The Quantum routers are wireless AC, the old ones are up wireless N, and older ones only G.

Just need to turn off the DHCP on the additional routers and add the Coax to the Home network in the admin tools.

I've picked these up from free to $50.

Between satellite, cable internet, cable TV, wires are everywhere in my house.

There is also a security filter that you can put on the coax line that enters your house. I just disconnect it since I have fiber

Splitter qualities make a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics