Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times

Advertisements

I'm about to buy my first home. I am trying to figure out if there are any high voltage power lines near the property. I haven't seen any in the immediate neighborhood, but then again I think I'm confused as to what they look like. I know what the huge high-voltage power lines look like, that are generally in less populated areas, where you can hear the buzzing coming from them, but are there smaller power lines that are in residential areas, and if so how do these differ from telephone lines? I am confused between the difference between a telephone line and a power line. How can I identify them?

Can anyone provide any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
Here are a couple of things to look for:

The power lines will generally have insulators (small non-conducting inserts that look like this (http://hsc.csu.edu.au/engineering_studies/telecommunications/3375/pole.JPG - broken link)) connecting themselves to the pole.

Power lines will have transformers (large cylindrical containers) at the top of some of the poles. These reduce the high voltage line to 220V, which is then routed to the houses.

Last edited by juggler; 02-10-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: removed "current"

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Here are a couple of things to look for:

The power lines will generally have insulators (small non-conducting inserts that look like this (http://hsc.csu.edu.au/engineering_studies/telecommunications/3375/pole.JPG - broken link)) connecting themselves to the pole.

Power lines will have transformers (large cylindrical containers) at the top of some of the poles. These reduce the high voltage line current to 220V, which is then routed to the houses.

Thanks for your reply and the photo link. So I'm confused--I know what the huge high voltage power lines look like--the ones where you can hear buzzing when you stand near them, but are you saying there are also smaller power lines that run through residential areas--i.e. shorter and smaller ones? For instance, outside my current place I am looking at what I always thought was telephone lines. They run through this neighborhood. The poles are about 20 feet high maybe, and I often see Verizon servicing them.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 AM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
Yes, there are smaller power lines that run through residential areas (some areas have buried cables, but if not, they will be strung on utility poles).

Here is a photo of a typical residential utility pole - the gray cylinder is the aforementioned tranformer.

Many utility poles will host both electrical and cable/telephone lines. The cable/telephone lines are almost always strung below the electrical lines.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM

That was very helpful--thanks so much.

So my other question is: one reads so much about how living near power lines is very dangerous for health reasons--would this also apply to these smaller residential poles, or would it only apply to high voltage power lines (the really big ones--the ones that you can hear buzzing when you walk under them).

Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post

So my other question is: one reads so much about how living near power lines is very dangerous for health reasons--would this also apply to these smaller residential poles, or would it only apply to high voltage power lines (the really big ones--the ones that you can hear buzzing when you walk under them).
nO, IT'S A MYTH.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
I don't think there has been confirmed evidence of health risks related to living near high voltage lines. But if you are truly worried about it, the best solution would be to buy a home that does not get power from the grid and build a solar/wind array to provide for your own power. Then you could control how much electricity exists around you.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post

I don't know if the health issues have been clearly determined, but there are 2 reasons not to buy near them. The look and sound bad, and they affect your resale value.

Most homes have power wires coming into the house somewhere along the roof top. Unless you live in an area with underground wiring (generally not that common).

Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
It's pretty simple

On any utility pole the power lines are at the top

telephone and cable are Below the power lines

Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
The easy way for you it to go the meter, and see if the wires to it go up or down. If doen the power is buried and not on the poles. If it goes up then follow that to the insulators mounted on your house and past it to the pole. Either way you know.

Avoid them all, just getting close like painting can kill you unless you know what's what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics